What's for Dinner #78 - The Hearts, Candy, Flowers & Slushy Snow Edition - February 2022

Pomegranate-cooked Lentils and Eggplant from Falastin by Sami Tamimi and Tara Wigley.

I came across this recipe on Instagram a while back and since I had both an eggplant and a pomegranate to use up it seemed like the perfect recipe to try. Tamimi calls the recipe Rummaniyya which means pomegranately in Arabic, which is an apt description as it uses both pomegranate seeds and molasses. Since the recipe also called for fennel seeds I think next time I make this I’ll add diced fennel near the end of cooking, or sprinkled on top. I had the leftovers for breakfast with a fried egg.

12 Likes

Woodman’s is EVERYONE’S clam shack. Or should be. There is no better for bellies.

3 Likes

Work has been crazy-busy, so I’m glad I had taken out a couple of chicken thighs to defrost in the fridge a couple of days ago.

Shook them with a combo of Dixie Fry and crushed potato chips…you know, those bits and pieces that can’t scoop up any dip? Just crushed them in a baggie with a rolling pin.

Oven-baked them in the convection oven until crispy. Sides were leftover lemon-parsley rice with some newly sauteed baby spinach with garlic, Aleppo pepper and a light splash of lemon juice.

Wine.

14 Likes

Chicken Katsu. Stir fried vegies, bok choy, mushrooms, onion, garlic and bell pepper, a splash of hoisin and a dab of chili crisp. Crunchy salad. Another beautiful day.

16 Likes

Worked late - brain is fried.

Luckily, BF took over - he made Vietnamese “vermicelli” bowls with pork and “Imperial” rolls. He used whatever rice noodle we had in the house, thinly sliced pork i got from the Japanese market, and egg rolls he picked up from a nearby Chinese restaurant. Sooo good.

17 Likes

omg katsu…

gorgeous here today too 73 degrees for my lunchtime walk:

13 Likes

crispalicious!

1 Like

Salmon steak . Yes . I love that bone and belly. The rest will be used for sandwiches. Not a fan of the fillet . Rice with chopped tomatoes. Cheers.

15 Likes

Chicken Enchiladas with a sauce made from tomatillos, Anaheim chilies, onion, garlic, cilantro and chicken broth.

12 Likes

I don’t know where the idea to make healthy chicken parmesan came from but here we are. It was really good. Healthy because I baked the breaded chicken and used whole wheat flour LOL

13 Likes

And my sister just called me to say the order from Amazon of 3 boxes of Dixie Fry arrived at her house while she was up in Maine. So I get one of them as a “Christmas gift”. Then, of course, I had to tell her how to use the Dixie Fry, as she’s going to do some wings and/or legs/thighs for Super Bowl Sunday. LOL

5 Likes

Looks wonderful! Would you mind sharing your recipe?

1 Like

No real recipe but here’s what I did.

Cut the chicken breasts in half then did my normal brine (I do this for pork and chicken). 1/4 c kosher salt 1/4 c sugar. Boiling water. Ice. Leave in fridge for a few hrs.

Take the breasts through a flour dredge, egg dredge and bread crumbs with salt and whatever seasoning you like.

Baked on a tray @ 400 till 160 temp inside. Top with sauce and cheese. Back in the oven on broil till it’s the color you like.

I’ve been making this sauce in big batches and freezing it. https://www.seriouseats.com/the-best-slow-cooked-italian-american-tomato-sauce-red-sauce-recipe

6 Likes

Is it really better than Clam Box?

Like Geno’s and Pat’s in Philadelphia for Philly cheesesteaks, like a NYC slice vs. a Chicago deep dish, there will always be fans of both. Add in Farnham’s and you have a major dilemma. Just go to all three. :wink:

4 Likes

I knew I had Wegmans meatballs in the downstairs freezer.

I knew I didn’t want a red sauce.

I saw some lingonberry jam in my upstairs fridge this morning.

I thought IKEA.

I thought why not try Swedish meatballs?

Baked the balls.
Made the sauce after an Internet search.
Made some egg noodles.
Cooked some carrots, peas, and corn. (Totally traditional, right?)
Spooned some jam.
Poured some wine. (OK, poured some MORE wine)

Not too bad.

16 Likes

Thanks - sounds easy and good!

1 Like

Burrata with EVOO
Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 5.06.05 PM
Viet beef meatballs
Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 5.06.19 PM

Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 5.06.34 PM

15 Likes

i love how you combine things in one meal that normally wouldn’t be together! i’m sure it was delicious!

Some of us are too dumb to know the difference! What;s there is there and to be used.

2 Likes