What's for Dinner #78 - The Hearts, Candy, Flowers & Slushy Snow Edition - February 2022

Mine was moist, I wouldn’t say it was soft, and it was very good. I didn’t make a panade, I pureed cooked onions and bacon in the food processor. I added some beaten egg and thought it was too moist so I added fresh bread crumbs.

2 Likes

Thai shrimp curry and rice. Crunchy salad with romaine, I didn’t have any cabbage, julienned carrot, cucumber, red bell, daikon radish, scallion and a peanut satay and rice wine vinegar dressing.
I had G&T made with tonic ice cubes, it was very tonicky, tonicy? I’m thinking next time just gin and tonic rocks with a squeeze of lime.

16 Likes

Pork chili colorado prepped yesterday, garlicky rice with onions and carrots, the BF’s pico de gallo, corn tortillas, crema and avo. Yucateco habanero at the table for me, Valentina for him.

15 Likes

I was very close to making that! But then I went with this overly complicated (aren’t they all?) Ottolenghi portobello with chile sauce recipe, which would have been worth it - because it was very good - had I not ended up with a single serving. I was counting on at least a cup of sauce! But no.

IMG_1266

12 Likes

“Beef” fried rice, but with Impossible burger.

14 Likes

Fettuccine with creamed spinach (using heavy cream and ricotta)

13 Likes

That looks fantastic! More details, please?

2 Likes

OK. I need to eat a bunch of beef before blood donation on Friday. This might be just the ticket! (p.s. H.O.s - unprecedented critical nationwide blood shortage - donate now if you can!)

11 Likes

Thanks! it’s the enchilada sauce i posted a few weeks ago - copied below.
then i just cut up some pork shoulder, seared, and let it simmer in the sauce for maybe an hour - until fall-apart tender.

6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
16 medium dried guajillo chilies (or combo of any/many) (about 4 ounces)
1 teaspoon dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, fresh ground
1⁄8 teaspoon cumin, fresh ground
3 2⁄3 cups meat broth (beef, poultry or fish depending on use of the sauce) (can sub beer for part of the liquid)
1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
1 teaspoon salt, approximately, depending on how salty the broth
1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar, approximately

Set a heavy ungreased skillet or griddle over medium heat, lay the unpeeled garlic on the hot surface and let it roast to a sweet mellowness, turning occasionally until soft when pressed, a few small spots will blacken, about 15 minutes. Cool, slip off skins and roughly chop.

While the garlic is roasting break the stems off chilies, tear chilies open and remove seeds, for the mildest sauce remove all stringy light colored veins. Finish and remove garlic if you haven’t done so. Toast the chilies a few at a time on your medium-hot skillet. Open them flat, lay them on the hot surface skin side up and press flat with a metal spatula (if the temperature is right you will hear a faint crackle), then flip them and do the same (If you press them just long enough they will have changed to a mottled tan underneath, a wisp of smoke is OK but any more than that they are burnt).

Transfer chilies to a bowl and cover with hot water and let rehydrate for 30 minutes, pour off all water and discard.

In a food processor or blender add chilies, garlic, oregano, pepper and cumin, add 2/3 cup of the broth and process to a smooth puree, scraping and stirring every few seconds (In a blender you may need to add a little more broth until everything is moving). With a rubber spatula, work the puree through a medium mesh strainer into a bowl, discard skins and seeds left in the strainer.

Heat oil in a medium-sized pot (4 quart) over medium heat, when hot enough to make a drop of the puree sizzle sharply add the puree all at once. Cook stirring constantly, as the puree sears, reduces and darkens to an attractive earthy brick red paste, usually about 7 minutes, taste it: You’ll know it is done when it has lost that harsh raw-chili edge.

Stir in remaining 3 cups of broth, partially cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes. If the sauce has thickened past the consistency of a light cream soup, add more broth. Taste and season with salt and sugar - Salt to brighten and focus the flavors, sugar to smooth any rough or bitter chili edges.

Covered and refrigerated the sauce will last about a week. If you freeze it you will need to re-boil it to bring back the lovely texture.

Other chilies you can use - An equal amount of New Mexico chillies can replace the quajillo, the sauce will not be as full flavored; a chipotle or two adds complexity.

I don’t know where I got this from originally but it’s my go-to now. it may seem like a lot of steps but it’s a nice rainy-day project. and i’ve tried others, but again, this is my favorite because it doesn’t have tomato in it. (I really don’t like the flavor tomato adds to an enchilada sauce.) I also play around with the amt. of chiles - i don’t think i’ve used 16 dried chiles in a while.

6 Likes

Sometimes I just don’t want to cook. Tonight is proof of that.

I did a complete 180° from my weekend extravagant meals: a tuna melt with neon orange American cheese and Fritos alongside as my veg.

Wait. Fritos as a veg, you ask? Well, they’re made from corn, right? So yeah…Veg.

Oh, there was some celery and Penzeys Mural of Flavor mixed in with the tuna. So two veg. :wink:

19 Likes

Than you! Much appreciated.

1 Like

Tonight I made creamy cashew noodles with crispy mushrooms and steamed soft tofu with oyster-based sauce and spinach.

The noodles were okay, but I’ve liked other recent renditions better. The steamed tofu, a recipe from @linguafood, is a fave we’re revisiting. Fortunately the kiddo loves tofu.

12 Likes

A very Costco meal. I picked up a whole pork belly there last weekend and slow braised it with minimal seasoning so that I could cut it into reasonable portions and use/freeze for various meals. Tonight I cut some slabs and glazed with a mixture of peanut butter, Sriracha and soy before broiling.

Served with cauliflower fried rice, made by dressing up this new Costco product - have any of you tried it? These shelf-stable packs come in a box of six.

I’m not actually a fan of cauliflower as faux rice but I was curious about this - I assumed it would be semi-dehydrated to be shelf stable, but it’s not. Texture is damp and lightly cooked. With enough garlic, ginger, egg and soy to disguise the lactic acid preservative flavor, it’s not bad. However, I would not use it in a less-seasoned preparation.

Final plate. Extra peanut sauce for drizzling. All in all, a good meal!

13 Likes

that pork belly is stunning!

2 Likes

A sausage, peppers, tomato, mushroom, spinach ragu with orzo. Simmered with parm regg rinds. I added in Rao’s for sauciness, a bit of heavy cream, and a final splash of red wine vinegar for brightness.

14 Likes

Chicken and cornmeal waffle.

15 Likes

Grilled chicken fajitas, rice and salad.

13 Likes

Quick easy it’s been a long day meal. Shrimp, broccoli, onion and mushroom with red curry paste, over riced cauliflower (which I do not like and am looking forward to being done with).

IMG_1267

12 Likes

Soba noodles with stir-fried beef, napa cabbage and snow peas

12 Likes

Spaghetti with clams. Cheers.

22 Likes