What's for Dinner #78 - The Hearts, Candy, Flowers & Slushy Snow Edition - February 2022

I made a ton of these moulded tofu squares, breaded them, sprayed them with cooking oil and baked them for 40 minutes at 250C till they were nice and golden brown. Now I can add them to stir frys this coming week or serve 'em with a sauce – easy lunch. :grin:

#mealprep

12 Likes

Neat

This has everything I like. I am not very familiar with West African cuisine but will definitely have to try this. Any recipe/source recommendations?

1 Like

We’ve been baking and air-frying for like two months now, so it was nice to have an actual fried chicken cutlet. It was served with black truffle risotto and roasted broccolini.

BF and I have been watching “Cooking with Paris” with Paris Hillton on Netflix and after getting a kick out of several episodes and wanting to put her recipes to the test, decided to make her funfetti flan cake. This entails a regular funfetti cake mix poured into a bundt pan and topped with a flan before baking for 90 minutes in a hot water bath and then flipping. While the flan layer in ours was not as noticeable as what is seen in the show, the end result is actually very good. Yes, we even included cotton candy as seen on TV. Would I make again? Probably not. But I’m not regretting it.

13 Likes

Good to know for future. I didn’t have the time, so the tomato paste and green chiles had to suffice. Did the trick.

1 Like

We enjoyed another excellent dinner at The Circle Restaurant in Newton, NJ including an outstanding carrot soup containing roasted rainbow carrot, parsley puree, carrot crisps, and mascarpone; trout tartare with chili mayo, avocado, ponzu, and crispy rice puffs to eat it with; bucatini with Jonah crab, Meyer lemon beurre fondue, and lobster roe; filet mignon poivre with smoked gouda gratin, and king oyster mushroom. The filet had a beautiful char to it, and was nice and pink in the middle. It all went great with an excellent cabernet and red blend of Cabernet, Syrah, Malbec, and Merlot.

9 Likes

We used this recipe - the changes were that we used 16 oz lamb leg, 25 okra pods, dried black-eyed pies, 1 TBL tamarind paste, 1 jalapeño (cut small and added with the eggplant but didn’t remove it- we are not really chili heads),

4 Likes

Thank you. That is the first one that I came across but figured I’d touch base with you. I often find it hard to pick a recipe when I have no frame of reference.

1 Like

Enjoyed sleeping in on the 4th day of a long weekend.

Went with a lighter meal tonight of spinach and bacon quiche.

A blind bake at 375° on a defrosted Pillsbury crust. Sauteed 3 chopped thick-slice bacon slices, removed all of the bacon to drain and most of the bacon fat, and then added 1/2 cup chopped onion and about 2 cups of chopped baby spinach for a quick sauté of 1 minute.

Whupped 4 room temperature eggs with 1 cup of a combo of room temp heavy cream and 1% milk, s/p, and a combo of 1 cup grated Gruyere and Cheddar cheeses.

Added the sauteed onions and spinach at the end along with the bacon, then poured it all into the baked crust. Baked for 45 minutes at 350° until the egg was set. Let it rest for 15 minutes, then served.

Wine.

20220221_192222

17 Likes

Chilean white wines are my new obsession which started last year on a trip to…Iceland! I’ve always gone with Chilean reds, even in situ on a trip to Chile a few years ago when I had ready access to the whites, but the white wine that I recently had was a revelation. Crisp, bone-dry, and citrusy. Delicious!

3 Likes

Pork piccata, asparagus with mornay sauce, caesar salad. Cocktail was a Boulevardier.

17 Likes

Spicy clam stew with tofu, mushrooms and spinach.

clams

And a drink of my own invention, the Byproduct. Tomato water, pickle brine, horseradish and vodka.

IMG_1360

19 Likes

Well sure it worked.

Cuz you have skills :slight_smile:

1 Like

In addition to it being tasty - what a fab name. I’d love to walk into a bar and say “I’ll have a Byproduct, please.”

7 Likes

Try it! Make me famous.

6 Likes

Bought veal shanks in Redding a couple weeks ago . Braised them tonight. Served over soft polenta. This taste was so delicate and delicious. I will never forget it . Cheers.

17 Likes

Orecchiette with pork sausage, kale, cannellini beans, garlic, oregano

16 Likes

This meal has me wanting to swipe a few forkfuls for myself. Something about a delicious braise served on soft polenta hits all the right notes.

2 Likes

Those flavors call to me. Cheers.

2 Likes

It is a very refreshing drink! And hot sauce would not be the worst idea for an addition.

3 Likes