What's for Dinner #78 - The Hearts, Candy, Flowers & Slushy Snow Edition - February 2022

Another excellent evening at Nonna’s Citi Cucina with mom and BF. This will be the last time dining at this location, as they are moving to a new (and much larger) building in the next couple of months. My meal was Chicken Piccata. It was supposed to be veal but I requested chicken as to not draw the ire of my dining companions :expressionless:. Mom had shrimp over risotto and BF had Chicken Parm with no sauce. For appetizers, we shared fried zucchini and the Nonna’s salad, which is basically an antipasto. While I’m looking forward to trying the new location, I have always enjoyed the rustic ambience that this setting has offered.

13 Likes

Last night’s dinner at my sister’s. She made a pasta dough with farm fresh eggs i got. I had her roll it extra thin, because i wanted many, thin layers for a Smitten Kitchen’s mushroom (crimini & various dried) lasagna. I added a little Marsala and fresh thyme to the shrooms, too. Ended up with only 5 layers because I needed more bechamel. next time. Pic is of two squares atop each other, under a salad of arugula in a shallot/dijon vinaigrette. Not as rich as i thought it would all be, but super tasty. BF got leftovers. French pink bubbly to go with.

lasagna pasta

lasagna pasta and bechamel

18 Likes

That is so lovely looking.

1 Like

Stopped at my local butcher yesterday during my shopping errands. While the sweet Italian sausage was still priced the same, the steak tips had doubled in price since I last purchased them (now up to to $18.99/lb.) Which I didn’t know until after he handed the 2 lb. package to me. :::gulp::: but they’ll give me upwards of 8 meals, so I’ll justify it somehow.

I used a single sausage squozen out in little sausage balls in this favorite meal from Rancho Gordo, using their dried Royal Corona beans. I used baby spinach instead of arugula with extra pepper ground over top. Excellent.

Wine as the side dish.

17 Likes

Last night was meatball stroganoff with pasta and wilted spinach.

Tonight, halibut smeared with pesto mayo and roasted. Leftover white rice with some green peas and chopped pistachios. Green salad.

Diet starts tomorrow :confounded:

16 Likes
3 Likes

Thanks for the recipe link. I’ll be trying this.

2 Likes

An epic sandwich to go with a not-so-epic hockey game: grilled chicken, zucchini, fresh Mozzarella from Livoti’s, sweet peppers, and balsamic glaze. The chicken was marinated in balsamic vinaigrette as well.

15 Likes

thank you!

1 Like

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at Fiorentini Restaurant in Rutherford, NJ, including black sea bass; pork chop; creamy risotto carnaroli aquarello (risotto aged over 7 years); short rib agnolotti, and vegetable soup. It all went great with an excellent Amarone and cabernet.

9 Likes

Carnitas tacos with my avo crema and habanero salsa, mexi-rice, and a salad of cukes/shallots/lime juice/Tajin. Leftover Bolivian hot sauce in the crema (along with avo, crema & cilantro) and the rice. Carnitas makings in the last pic.

17 Likes

i’m going to have to try this dish!

1 Like

Wanted a large plate of spaghetti with anchovy and cauliflower. Been down in bed with the flu the last 48 hours . No food just sleep . I’m back . Cheers.

20 Likes

Glad you’re better. Being sick really sucks.

3 Likes

9 Likes

Cottage Pie - ground beef, peas, corn, cream, mashed potatoes and parmesan

12 Likes

Gochujang-Yogurt Chicken With Garlic Butter Rice. There was reserved marinade mixed with mayo and lemon juice and drizzled over the chicken and salad of romaine and tomatoes. It’s a keeper.

17 Likes

Sounds & looks delish, thanks for the link…:yum:

1 Like

You and your sister cook such amazing meals together. This looks like yet another of your greatest hits!

2 Likes

thank you! sweet of you to say…