What's for Dinner #78 - The Hearts, Candy, Flowers & Slushy Snow Edition - February 2022

From the freezer, beef enchilada, with Mexican rice, sliced avocado, jicama, ranch and Tajin.

16 Likes

Bolivian dinner: Silpancho (otherwise known as apanado, milanesa, or for los gringos, chicken fried steak.) Meat is pounded super thin, breaded and fried, and served with rice, fried potatoes (double-carbing yum!), fried egg, and usually a small salad of chopped tomatoes, chilies, and onion. BF made llajwa instead (Bolivian hot sauce) which should have been IN ADDITION TO the salad.) My mom would have been thrilled if she’d found meat already so thin all she had to do was bread it (this came pre-sliced for pho). comforting, nostalgic dinner for us.

17 Likes

Chicken breast my way. I used this recipe.Except bone in, skin on. I have a lot of lemons and rosemary.

15 Likes

Yikes! Where is that again? I wonder if that’s one of the (many) reasons folks didn’t drive a car back in the day!

1 Like

Dinner was out tonight, belated V-Day stuff at an English pub-style restaurant.

To drink, I had a couple of expertly crafted Manhattans with Angel’s Envy Bourbon and BF h3rd 4ad a unique martini with Botanist Gin and truffle brine, which included truffle shavings at the bottom of the glass. We ordered a sampling of appetizers: the warm olives and nuts, a perfectly cooked and runny Scotch Egg, and truly delectable bacon-cheddar tots. For meals, he had a Chicken Cordon Bleu sandwich while I had Chicken Tikka Masala which was on par with what I’ve had at actual Indian restaurants.

13 Likes

Garlic roasted chicken leg quarter, leftover cornbread dressing, buttermilk mashed potatoes in which I overheated the buttermilk, and gravy.

17 Likes

Moroccan inspired vegetable stew with eggplants, red pepper, sweet potato cooked in sauce made with ras-el-hanout, cinnamon, tahini, harissa, coconut milk, honey, sirarakhong chili (recent gift which adds a great spicy, smokey flavor), diced tomatoes and raisin - served with couscous

11 Likes

Grilled cheese (pepper jack and Colby cheese, sauted mushrooms and onions and Applewood bacon) severed with tomato soup. My favorite tomato soup now is this tomato and goat cheese bisque recipe. I was uncertain about the combination of ginger and goat cheese at first, but it really works and makes a unique and delicious soup. It’s also dead easy to make!

14 Likes

Dinner was American Chop Suey-- with shells not mac. I never had it as a named dish 'til I moved to Maine-- indeed was unaware it’s a New England thing. But I’m sure mom made it & it probably turned up in my school & college cafeterias. It’s interesting seeing dish name/recipe variants across the country like for this or “Hot Dish” etc.

7 Likes

In South Boston, for one. The residents are know for very imaginative space savers after a storm. I once saw a picture of someone using a bust of Elvis, circa early 70s. :rofl:

And technically, the melting piles of snow don’t have the space savers in them. The DPW removes them as trash if not removed 48 hours after a major storm.

Just a bit of hyperbole on my part. :wink:

4 Likes

That soup looks/sound great - thanks for the recipe!

1 Like

Day off.
Extra long weekend (even though I did some work-work near the end of the day).
Slept in.
Eyeballs checked.
As expected, new eyeball Rx (and frames) in 2 weeks. (I’m going a bit more colorful in my old age!)
Went to Home Boy to pick out a new bathroom throne. Two of them, actually.
My BIL will install. (Hopefully next week.)
Also went to Home Goods to see what they had that I absolutely needed.
Finally found some shallow bowls I liked.

Needed to freezer dive to clear some stuff out.
So a small hunk of chuck roast became stroganoff.
Served on mini lasagna noodles with peas on the outside.

Did I mention it was National Wine Day? Not that I need that encouragement, but who am I to ignore such a glorious day that falls on the start to a long weekend? :wink:

18 Likes

Meatballs, angel hair pasta in a marinara sauce, grated asiago cheese. Mixed greens, tomato, cucumber, green onion salad with O&V dressing. Garlic bread. @LindaWhit I didn’t know it was National Drink Wine Day or I would have had more than the splash I put in the sauce.

13 Likes

Zittoni - like giant ziti - something I’d never seen before. I’d left it at my sister’s and she cooked it up and didn’t like it, so I took it home. You’re supposed to cut it up before you cook, or it does look like unsightly surgical tubing.

BF cut it up, made a meat sauce with spinach and various cheeses, put it in a casserole and baked it. Delicious! Much like lasagna. Parm regg zucchini on the side, and I made cheater garlic toast (just butter and granulated garlic).

13 Likes

Sous-vide ribs, mostly following this recipe but with baby back ribs and without liquid smoke. Came out very good, if I do say so myself. With some cornbread muffins and frozen green beans.

15 Likes

Jansson’s Temptation - Swedish casserole with potatoes, a lot of anchovies, onions and cream.

15 Likes

I hadn’t heard of Jansson’s Temptation until your post. It sounds delicious. I love anchovies.

It’s true Swedish comfort food but also quite popular back home in Northern Germany when I was a kid. My parents liked to make it from time to time and it is always a great dish to feel like you are back home. And it is easy to make as it mainly just bake in the oven

1 Like

I am looking forward to trying it. Do the anchovies tend to melt into the potatoes or do they stay distinct? I don’t mind, and would actually prefer them to remain, but other might not be so keen on actually knowing what makes the potatoes taste so good.

They start to melt into the onions and potatoes but they tend to be still recognizable. For those who don’t like to “see” the umami factor just stir their dish slightly before serving

1 Like