What's For Dinner #77 - the "Let's Start Anew" Edition - January 2022

Soup has become my salad of the winter. During the summer, I make a huge salad several times a week that I’ll eat for lunches. In the winter I switch up and make soup.

This time it was my version of Nabeyaki Udon. Kakejiru broth (dashi, mirin, and light soy), shiitaki and oyster mushrooms, carrot, baby bok choy, sea bass, and hamaboko/fish sausage. I cook the udon separately so we can customize our portions. Sprinkled with Shichimi Togarashi.

22 Likes

Happy birthday to your mama!

5 Likes

Just looked it up - I think I’m going to pass this along to my sister for her to make for her husband - it’s right up their alley to fill up his hollow legs!

1 Like

Aww…nurture that sweetness. It’s unfortunate how society tries to breed it out of our boys. Mine - who just turned 16 - had a very teenager-y day 2 days ago. He was in a mood and a snit, and just stomped around and wanted to be alone. But yesterday, he came over to where I was sitting on the couch, cuddled up, and we just chatted softly while I rubbed his head. For 30 minutes. He was so content he was purring :slight_smile:

7 Likes

There is a lot of truth in what you are saying. Peer group influence is major.
By the way, how old is the kiddo?

Ca-ca-ca-craving a Calzone tonight.

Half a ball of store-bought pizza dough, thinly spread with Lucini roasted garlic marinara with extra fennel seeds and dried basil (probably got the marinara at Home Goods) on the oval of dough, sauteed sweet sausage and roasted broccoli on the sauce, topped with shredded mozz and grated Parm-Reg, dough folded over, edges pinched together, top brushed with olive oil, and baked at 400° for about 25 minutes. More marinara on the side.

Satisfied the itch. Oh, and Wine.

19 Likes

That calzone is a thing of beauty!!

2 Likes

Another go at Salisbury Steak, tweaking this Serious eats recipe

, but without the verboten mushrooms in the gravy. I’m struggling with getting the temp of the “steaks” right.

17 Likes

BF took leftover polenta and topped it with my (defrosted) Nigel Slater preserved tomatoes from last summer, and hot Italian sausage. Butter lettuce/blue-cheese-stuffed green olives and shallot salad on the side. very good on a chilly night.

19 Likes

why verboten, again?

Husband doesn’t like “mushrooms”. Seriously? I think DIL might be allergic too. I’m going to label it.

I used this

8 Likes

Shrimp and cauli/corn grits. Muffaletta salad salad with avocado.

13 Likes

That’s too bad!

i tried that stuff, i found it too sweet for me.

1 Like

Okay. It’s hard for me to understand how everything labeled “mushrooms” can be lumped together. What do they all have in common? For husband I think it’s texture.

1 Like

The ice cream cake sounds delicious - how was it?

1 Like

Sauted chicken leg. This was a great meal . In duck fat and butter. Lemon and garlic tossed in the pan . California olive oil to finish. White beans with Spanish Pimenton. Green beans, boiled and finished with the 2 year Parmigiano reggiano. For dessert. Cheetos cheese puffs and wine .Cheers.

22 Likes

This is gorgeous and looks so completely satisfying. Bravo!

1 Like

He’s 4 1/2 :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

How sweet. I hope we have that!

Yum! Well played (and crimped).

1 Like