What's For Dinner #77 - the "Let's Start Anew" Edition - January 2022

Very good! And I’m not big on ice cream.

1 Like

Last night’s dinner: chicken rolled with ham, sautéed spinach, and Mozzarella. Side of Asiago-garlic mashed and broccolini.

Jack and ginger beer to drink. Just like their tonic, Fever Tree’s ginger beer was good but decidedly not worth the price.

16 Likes

This looks incredible!

3 Likes

Story of my life - I was rummaging around in the freezer and found a box of phyllo sheets I forgot I had. Since I also found a large bag of frozen spinach and had some leftover dill I decided to make spanakopita for the first time. It turned about to be much easier to make than I thought. My feta was somewhat bland which I think affected the flavor a bit but it still tasted pretty good. Served with a salad, tzatziki and stuffed grape leaves which I usually have in the pantry as a just in case appetizer.

19 Likes

I made “crazy good chicken thighs” with rice pilaf (homemade), green beans and blistered tomatoes, and mixed greens with peach balsamic vinaigrette. I added butter, chili flake, and Worcestershire sauce to make them even crazy good-er.

16 Likes

Spend the day with my sister having a mid January Christmas gift exchange with her and her husband after shopping at her local Wegmans for an item I had been told by another foodie was being discontinued. Alas, it’s gone!

But being at Wegmans allowed me to get my dinner tonight: local sea scallops. Price/lb. is now up to $30.99 :astonished: but the 6 coral/pink ones I got cost me just $9.50. Still way better then you’d pay in a restaurant. Serrved with a sauce of browned butter, lemon and white wine.

I seasoned the scallops with Penzeys Florida Pepper and a bit of their Lemon zest powder, pan-seared in a tiny bit of butter, removed, white wine and a splash of lemon juice added to the pan and reduced, then mounted with a bit of cold butter to emulsify. Served on Basmati rice with steamed asparagus alongside, which I overcooked. :anguished:

Wine alongside.

And two of the gifts I received were cat-related. One, an apology, purportedly from my cats (that’s a bunch of hooey…they apologize for nothing!) And the other, a catnippy tune-out gift they both wanted to play with. My sister didn’t think to get them EACH a crackly-winged bee. Horrors on having to share!

18 Likes

Totally agreed, like fever tree’s ginger beer but still far too sweet… I miss the actually ginger beer from the islands when it’s blisteringly spicy.

1 Like

Pantry/fridge dinner. Chicken thigh stroganoff.
Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 5.58.39 PM

15 Likes

I made a sunny cocktail to enjoy on this sunny day. A spoon of frozen orange juice concentrate, gin, orange liqueur, Galliano, filled the glass with ice and then topped off with tonic.

Dinner was a ground beef, chorizo, black bean, poblano pepper & onion enchilada. Avocado & radish salad.

18 Likes

Want!

2 Likes

Salmon Salad made from The New Basics Pacific Northwest Grilled Salmon repurposed as The Barefoot Contessa’s “grilled salmon salad”. But with olives marinated with urfa chili for capers, and white balsamic for raspberry vinegar. And some sumac.

16 Likes

Frikadellen (German dish somewhere between a meatball and hamburger patty with 50%/50% ground beef and pork, sautéed onions, parsley, egg, roll (softened in milk and water)) and potato salad with celery, red and green pepper, scallion and freshly made mustard mayonnaise.

20 Likes

We enjoyed another excellent dinner at Bistro D’Azur in South Orange, NJ, including pan seared Cote Du Boeuf, beef bourguignon, duck confit and poached pear salad, jambon and fig salad, and the always excellent Spanish chips. It all went great with an excellent cabernet and Syrah.

10 Likes

Nice! Sounds a lot like the Salisbury Steak!

2 Likes

Wasn’t really aware about salisbury steaks but looking up some recipe it looks quite similar beside the cooking in a mushroom gravy

1 Like

Oooh, I could go in this direction with some of my smoked salmon. Thank you for the inspiration!

1 Like

Chicken cacciatore, because motive met opportunity on a freezing January evening. We’d bought chicken from Lilac Hedge Farm and Saturday is our pickup day for mushrooms from Fat Moon Farm.

I used mushroom stock, strained mushroom soaking liquid, accidentally dried (by me) shiitakes, and fresh oyster mushrooms to layer on the ‘shroom flavor.

16 Likes

Last quickly and unexpectedly became a fridge and freezer dive, and “Let’s do appetizers”. BF made spinach-artichoke dip (the best I’ve ever had), along with coconut shrimp and my zucchini sticks which were both air-fried.

IMG_20220115_235147_103

You could almost say this meal was healthy…except for all the cheese!

Martinis to drink.

20 Likes

That drink looks heavenly! I’ve actually never had Galliano.

1 Like

LOL very familiar

1 Like