What's For Dinner #77 - the "Let's Start Anew" Edition - January 2022

That coq au vin. :star_struck: I want to dive right in.

2 Likes

BF made chicken katsu last night.

Wine for him, a Manhattan or two for me as I worked on a talk I am giving on Sunday, my first in-person since Covid began. It will be at a place called Murphy’s Tavern in Rumson, NJ, an actual Prohibition-Era speakeasy. This is a private party which was bid on at a fundraiser supporting the local library. I’ll be speaking about Prohibition on the Jersey Shore, of course, but there’s a special twist: a cocktail pairing during the lecture!

20220112_203814

23 Likes

Sounds like my cooking :rofl:

1 Like

Wow! That talk sounds like fun! I’m sure the appreciates your efforts

2 Likes

Especially when I’m too lazy to go to the store for just one ingredient - I wanted pineapple but rummaged the kitchen instead!

2 Likes

how fun!

and that katsu looks amazing…

1 Like

Even easier move is buying Trader Joe’s Roasted Corn in their freezer section. :wink: I always have a bag or two. I like the ever-so-slight smokiness it brings. That corn is great in a roasted red pepper corn & chicken chowder I make as well.

4 Likes

It’s one of my least favorite activities ever.

1 Like

Pizza! Sausage, bell pepp, cherry pepp, onion, olive tapenade. Sourdough discard crust. I used a rolling pin this time, so the dough doesn’t look like preschool. :slight_smile: Basil pesto on 1/4 instead of tomato sauce for the anti-tomater…

17 Likes

French dip, using left over rib eye. Duck fat fries and a green salad.

17 Likes

Broccolini with oyster sauce, shrimp and egg stir fry, and rice.

16 Likes

Tonight I made black bean chili (with a little ground beef), served up with chips and jarred salsa (mango, picked out by the kiddo… LOL we’ll forgive him).

He did this sweet new thing. He came and gave me a hug and and said, “Thank you for dinner.” I said, “That’s really kind, thank you.” And then he goes, “The kind thing is that you made a yummy dinner for me.” :exploding_head:

Maybe he was buttering me up for dessert (it worked!).

22 Likes

Awww, that is so sweet!

2 Likes

Eggplant, bok choy & shrimp stirfried with peanut sauce left over from Malaysian takeout. Also cucumber, onion and sour cream salad.
IMG_1115
IMG_1117(1)

13 Likes

Mom’s birthday tonight and she just wanted to stay in, so we got takeout from an Italian place we had not ordered from in a while. She loves their Bolognese, so she had that with rigatoni. BF had a calzone with pepperoni and black olives. I had Chicken Murphy (pretty sure its a Jersey thing-- sometimes sausage is included as well but I didn’t miss it here). The hot peppers gave it a nice zing, but would ask for spicier next time. Pasta AND potatoes together. Carbs, carbs, carbs!

Only pics of my dish. Huge portion. I’m almost embarrassed to admit I polished off the whole thing…and lots of bread. The downside of a garlicky sauce.

To drink: mom wanted an Elderflower Gimlet straight up, BF had a gin martini, I had a Manhattan.

Cake was picked up by BF from Coldstone. Ice cream cake with chocolate cake, coffee ice cream, chocolate ganache, and topped with chunks of Heath Bar.

I know she just wanted to stay in tonight, but we’re gonna go out Saturday night anyway.

16 Likes

A child is a reflection of their parents.

5 Likes

It’s such a slow wonderland here. I enjoy traveling 2 Miles to the store for one ingredient. It’s like mayberry rfd. :smirk:

4 Likes

I always thought it came from this place:

If that premise is true, then B and I are evil zombies. :woman_zombie::man_zombie:

5 Likes

:smile: That’s true to some extent, especially when he uses expletives correctly. :rofl: How embarrassing.

But in all seriousness, some good advice I’ve heard more than once: don’t take too much credit or blame for your kid’s virtues or failures. A child is their own person and parents have limited influence. (I think studies show that peer groups have way more effect.) Same goes for the variety in their diet or openness to new foods - some of that is hardwired or personality that no amount of Division of Responsibility in Feeding will reshape.

8 Likes