What's for Dinner #76 - the HO "Ho, Ho, Ho" Edition - December 2021

You are a gem. Having you as a friend is a blessing.

9 Likes

That’s H’s motto in life! :laughing:

Great meal for friends. Hope they are okay.

1 Like

You’re welcome. I would love to see how it comes out.

Mine does the same thing! I have to label them “save some for dinner!”

2 Likes

Aw, shucks. I am have the time right now…but food has always been my love language!

3 Likes

Korean Sloppy Joes, with my kimchi, gochujang, gochugaru, onion, Korean rice syrup, tomato paste, scallions, and ground brisket from the butcher. A slice of “non-traditional” cheddar cheese and a lettuce leaf cuz on mine - needed SOMETHING green. BF had frozen some of his fries on Sunday so he cooked those up for us.

18 Likes

Vermouth and tonic. Fried chicken thigh, mashed cauliflower and gravy. Mixed greens salad, carrot, celery, avocado, red onion, golden raisins and honey mustard dressing.

17 Likes

Risotto with bitter greens (broccoli rabe and escarole) and prosciutto

19 Likes

Lovely and kind of you as always.

That lasagna looks perfect! And I love the idea of cottage cheese bread.

Wish your friends good health and a speedy exit from quarantine.

2 Likes

I wanted to share a fun little “semi-homemade” wfd with you guys. I don’t know why the idea didn’t come to me sooner. Like years sooner. Fish tacos. I bought the corn tortillas and baked some frozen fish nuggets from TJs. They are actually quite good. I made a peach salsa and a cabbage/radish slaw. Easy peasy no frying ready quickly and pretty tasty. Economical too.

17 Likes

Fish finger (nugget) tacos! A classic!

1 Like

Is it? Why have I never crossed paths with this idea before? :slight_smile:

Gateway idea for other semi-homemade?

Perhaps. Since I’m mostly not a pre-fab person (except at lunch bc we work and who has the time), the dinners are almost always 100% scratch. With the exception of things that most people would not expect one to make daily - bread, sauces, dressings, pasta. But for whatever reason, I never think to make the meal partially homemade, partially pre-fab. I should do that more often. It cuts the time! And quite honestly, cooking every day for others gets tiresome, and there are periods when we order out more often because I’m just sick of cooking and have no inspiration. So it could get us through these periods too. Gateway - I like it!

4 Likes

Last year we did some version of semi-prefab meal for the kids a couple of times a week, for foods they loved (but we didn’t necessarily want to eat).

That usually translated to quesadillas (corn tortillas+cheese), pizza (gf crust+sauce+cheese), spaghetti and (beyond ready-made) meatballs, and the like.

I’m not a fan of pre-grated cheese or ready crust or similar, but a couple of times a week they were a relief.

For vegetables, there were weeks when we ordered trimmed green beans and prepped brussels or broccoli/cauliflower florets, so nothing other than season+roast/steam needed doing. Also super helpful - and strange to consider that an indulgence, but we did.

7 Likes

Last night I made a roasted vegetable plate with delicata squash and a pile of shiitake and portobello mushrooms, flavored with garlic and rosemary.

Then I added garnishes for texture and some protein: flecks of leftover goat cheese, Marcona almonds, microgreens, and a few pita chips dusted with za’atar. A drizzle of balsamic vinegar over the squash and greens helped tie the components together.

15 Likes

Homemade + pre-fab is my move! I’d never leave the kitchen if I didn’t include prepared foods in our rotation. In my case, we eat a lot of CSA vegetables and I’m the only person in the house who cooks. Cleaning, chopping, and prepping all that veg takes time.

10 Likes

I’m just seeing this now and I’m giggling in my office, @digga ! :rofl: And had no idea re: Millers at the Arsenal Mall. Then again, I can’t ever recall having been in Watertown, MA.

1 Like

LOL! And Alfie would know you’d be scared of him, and would insist that he flop into your lap and ask you to cuddle him while he purrs like an outboard motor. He’s just a big ol’ ball of fat-boi love. Just don’t scrubble his tummy…he’ll go into frantic grooming. Finn, however, loves to have his tummy scrubbed. :smiley:

5 Likes

My prefab last night was Kraft White Cheddar Mac and Cheese topped with crumbled Tir Na Nog Irish cheddar, baked in the oven until melted.

I had followed a Twitter post a few months ago, where someone recommended a couple drops of Truffle Oil to Annie’s shells, which was also a nice change.

8 Likes