What's for Dinner #76 - the HO "Ho, Ho, Ho" Edition - December 2021

Now that you’ve all read of my plight, last night we added another night on our way home from Lancaster, PA. After an obligatory round at John and Peter’s Bar in New Hope, we headed to the hotel. We had a suite and decided to order in after the previous night’s fiasco. A trip to the liquor store was in order. I sipped on [several] Jack Daniel’s and Ginger Ales out of a paper cup and BF had High Noon hard seltzers while we ordered Chinese and watched Home Alone 2. There was no place I’d rather be, nor did I have to drive or risk being murdered by the Uber driver.

I wish I took a picture of the food because it was outstanding.

And tonight: After three days away, it was good to be back home and in the kitchen. Chicken Tikka Masala with boneless skinless thighs, basmati rice, and Tadka green beans. Naan not pictured.

21 Likes

I have a friend, who has a friend, who knows someone who has access to amazing local clams. We were the lucky beneficiaries of a few which quickly became linguini with clam sauce. I usually prefer a white wine sauce but with a slight chill in the December air a red sauce seemed more appropriate.

20 Likes

It’s Monday-it-must-be-another-potato-onion-and-cheeses-frittatta!

17 Likes

Oh my LORD! What a night! I’m so glad you guys high-tailed it out of Mr. Toad’s Covid Ride! What a cluster Eff. And that you managed to save the evening, finally.

5 Likes

Thanks to @ChristinaM for the inspiration for shredded collard salad. It’s become our new favorite house salad. B said he prefers it to shredded kale, which he loves. I didn’t shred too finely, dressed it with a puckery dressing of white wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, a drizzle of honey, garlic, shavings of pecorino Romano, emulsified with good olive oil. Some toasted chopped walnuts for texture contrast, chickpeas, and anemic hothouse tomatoes that were livened up by the dressing (because we love tomatoes in our salad). Went very well with leftover pizza (Otto) from Spring Onion’s birthday party on Saturday.

15 Likes

I’ve been thinking about trying this! How was it?

I couldn’t get any good photos last night - we ate late. I made mushroom risotto in the IP (dried shiitakes, fresh crimini, and dried morels), chicken tenders sauteed in butter with a little Black Forest ham and sage, braised CSA cabbage, and CSA kale salad with citronette and spicy cashews.

17 Likes

Yum. Do you have a good source for these?

I just got them at my local grocery chain, Ingles Market.

1 Like

We love all kinds of pesto and this one iscalso very fast to make. You make the pesto while pasta cooks, mix everything, done.

2 Likes

Homemade tomato soup and a ball of burrata each, just drizzled with olive oil & showered with basil chiffonade.

16 Likes

hey! i know you!

3 Likes

Good teeth. Don’t know when, mine started to have a broken vampire tooth.

1 Like

This looks amazing. I wonder how it is made.

6 Likes

I know many of you are cat folks, but personally, they scare the beejeezus out of me. Case in point…This exchange.

2 Likes

Their pork rolls are awesome! I’m not sure how they make them. Below is one recipe for Tuscany pork fat country bread.

3 Likes

This gives an idea. Thanks a lot.

2 Likes

:scream_cat: :smiley_cat:

My mom too, she saw cats’ eyes glowing in dark as a kid, and got a trauma ever since.

Our friends are dealing with 10 days of quarantine with an infant and pre-schooler, all while working at home. I dropped off dinner - a vegetarian lasagna (eggplant and fennel-y peppers and onions), garlic broccoli, cottage-cheese herb bread, and some Christmas candy. I made them a 13x9" pan and an 8x8" for us. We had the same broccoli as well as red wine cole slaw.

PXL_20211214_201128612

PXL_20211214_201131484~2

PXL_20211214_201123766~2

Saw this dish towel tonight and laughed:

22 Likes

Dinners.

Beef stirred fried ho fun.

Uber delievered burgers, mine was a fried chicken.

H got a cheddar beef one

Fries were crispy, which was a surprise, one with blue cheese sauce

And there was white Provence beer.

A steam pork patty with shrimp paste and soy. Cooked on the rice in the rice cooker.

Serious Eats’ Thai salad with minced pork with rice vermicelli. H ate all the peanuts as snack just a few days ago, I used pine nuts instead.

19 Likes