What's For Dinner #75 - the " Thanks and Giving Season" Edition - November 2021

Fried eggs made in the oven with mix of sweet potatoes, red pepper, zucchini, kidney beans and corn

11 Likes

I’m with her! Spicy-savory or not at all.

6 Likes

I started the day thinking it was going to be soup weather and so made a pot of split pea - a family favorite. It ended up being warm and sunny so I saved the soup for another night and went with pizza. Ricotta, prosciutto, guava paste, arugula, and balsamic glaze. Perfect for a warm fall night and I used up some bits and pieces taking up too much fridge space. Win-Win.

18 Likes

Shingrix is the only vaccine our local U.S. pharmacies will/can give out. Zostavax was taken off the market in the U.S. in July 2020. Supposedly NOT because of product safety or manufacturing issues, although there were some severe issues in some cases.

But Shingrix has proven to be very effective with a 97% efficacy rate vs. Zostavax, which had only a 50-64% efficacy. Interesting that the EU has approved Shingrix in 2018, but France has not yet approved it. Hopefully soon for you.

3 Likes

I’ve heard very good things about them! Hope the bird tasted as good as it looks!

1 Like

:::raising my hand::: Yeah - I had major exhaustion 24 hours after the 2nd shot. But the next morning, I was feeling perfectly fine, other than a sore shoulder for about 5 days.

2 Likes

Cod filet was lightly dusted with a spice / flour mixture. Spice included paprika, lime zest, sansho pepper, onion powder, dried algue, salt and a bit of Old Bay as well. Pan fried with butter on both sides. Sauce was made with garlic, butter, lime juice, chicken broth and lemon thyme.

16 Likes

What a wonderful intro for November @LindaWhit.
I have had my son, daughter-in-law and two grandsons visiting for a week. Lots of cooking and conversation. And we cooked waaay too much so I have been eating leftovers. Tonight I decided leftover roast chicken would make a good hot open face chicken sandwich. Garlic mashed potatoes, giblet gravy, cucumber, tomato, red onion salad with a balsamic and oo dressing.

14 Likes

Fried rice with egg, lap cheong, and peas.

And a beer

15 Likes

Orzo with cajun sausage in a tomato cream sauce, with roasted yellow bell peppers, garlic, leeks, Slap Ya Mama, a whole bucket of baby spinach, homemade chicken broth, and a shit-ton of parm regg. Spicy and really good for something thrown together.

16 Likes

O.M.G - Duchesse de Bourgogne is my FAVORITE!

1 Like

that cod looks so delicate and delicious!

3 Likes

One of my favs too :beers:

1 Like

Spaghetti Carbonara based on a recipe from MilkStreet which was interesting and tasty but a bit too cheese-forward.

And some homemade roasted strawberry buttermilk ice cream (recipe from Jeni’s book which tends to be very good and reliable)

16 Likes

No longer strawberry season, but will bookmark this for next year.

1 Like

no comprendo “a bit too cheese forward.” :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

it looks delicious!

3 Likes

The beer looks positively holy @Mr_Happy.

2 Likes

My son’s classmate’s family is going through a rough patch. 4 kids! I’m friendly with the mom and asked if I could bring them dinner. Luckily they eat everything. I made:

-roasted chicken thighs and legs
-spinach-arugula salad with cucumber, tomatoes, and bottled Brianna’s poppy seed dressing
-pasta Alfredo with broccoli
-brown n serve rolls topped with melted butter and flaky salt, with more butter to spread
-sauteed green beans with garlic
-raspberry lemonade
-key lime pie (I gotta lotta mileage out of that bottle of juice!)

Didn’t manage a photo this time as I was rushing like crazy to get it all packed up and out the door.

Our own dinner is still partly TBD. I have country-style rubbed pork ribs going low and slow. Probably gonna do mac n cheese or a side my kiddo is sure to enjoy, and salad.

20 Likes

I’m in awe of this dinner (and others!) you’ve made for your friends who could use a delicious prepared meal. So much variety. Your menus look like they appeal to kids and adults at the same time—not an easy feat.

6 Likes

Oops - sliced strawberries, too.