What's For Dinner #75 - the " Thanks and Giving Season" Edition - November 2021

Thank you!
Enjoy your weekend as well.

1 Like

Thank you …

1 Like

Gracias!

1 Like

Roast beef, provolone, caramelized onions*, horseradish Dijon aioli, and jus for the hell of it.

*I forgot how long it took to make these! It had been a while.

18 Likes

Wanted pulled pork/carnitas-type of thing, but started it late. i roasted a small piece of pork shoulder for 4 hours at 250°, rubbed with bourbon sugar, smoked bourbon paprika, fennel pollen, kosher salt & pepper, cayenne, cardamom, cumin. Came out incredibly tender, with a deep, dark bark. Served with avocado/cilantro crema, Mexi-rice, and salsa fresca. The crema went really well with the pork.

21 Likes

Mrs. P made butternut squash puree with shrimp; guacamole with chips; empanadas stuffed with andouille sausage, pureed kabocha squash, fuji apples, and heavy cream; The same pureed kabocha squash, fuji apple combination with endives; It all went great with an excellent red blend.

15 Likes

@paryzer Wow! :eyes:

Salisbury steak. Serious Eats version.

17 Likes

Shrimp Tacos - Shrimps very briefly sautéed in a mixture of tomatoes, onions, jalapeño, garlic, ketchup and lime juice. Tortillas were brushed with some oil, then some shredded cheese and the shrimp mixture added and heated in the oven for a few minutes until the tortillas gained a little bit of crunch. Finished with avocado, cilantro and shredded lettuce.

18 Likes

Catching up. It’s been a busy week.

Tuesday I made a sort of Currywurst bake - Brats roasted over chickpeas and potato slices tossed with Tikka masala sauce and drizzled with curry ketchup. It was good for being a quick throw-together. With salad.

Wednesday was leftover lasagne, no pic.

Thursday, mojo marinated bone-in pork chops with black beans over cauli-jasmine rice cooked with salt and olive oil. With avocado and sautees radish greens.

Last night I cooked for vegetarian friends and unfortunately forgot to get photos. We had build-your own bowls with slow-cooked pinto beans, yellow rice with sauteed carrot, corn, and onion, avocado-tomatillo crema, mixed greens, chopped radish, cilantro, baby tomatoes, and jalapeños. To start, tortilla chips with queso and homemade salsa. It was fun, although it’s getting too cold for much more porch entertaining.

19 Likes

Since buying a can during lockdown I’ve been finding ways to use these - baked dishes do work really well. They’re a nice timesaver.

1 Like

I really like how your cooking draws from all over the globe. And that your menus sort of follow a theme.

1 Like

My current obsession as well! So good.

1 Like

Our of curiosity, do you not share family style when ordering Chines? We always have, but I’m realizing maybe some people prefer to just stick with their own dish.

2 Likes

Have you heard about the controversy over bucatini? Some people hate it - I think Francis Lam is one :laughing:

I feel you sometimes.

2 Likes

That sounds good, and I LIKE that pasta shape!

Is that butter cascading over the beef? :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks again.

Have a lovely weekend too.

1 Like

On this particular occasion we stuck with our own meals, though we each did try each other’s food. But we have done family style in the past.

1 Like

Thanks, Christina. I made it about 15 minutes into the podcast. Basta humor about pasta. I love bucatini and have no trouble getting a strand coiled then stabbed onto my fork. They spoke a lot about how different shapes accepted and held sauce, which is true, but never mentioned that quality of pasta, i.e., slick finished vs bronze cut which gives a rougher surface, has more effect on sauce ‘stickability’. So, takeaway for me is that I hope a lot of people listened to that sequence so there’ll be more bucatini for ME!

4 Likes