What's For Dinner #75 - the " Thanks and Giving Season" Edition - November 2021

and i don’t know about the soy, but the dill and paprika are what seem to make it Hungarian. That and the and addition of sour cream.

those ribs look fantastic!

1 Like

A week of a week.
Sales team in the office for the first time in over 2 years for two days.
Adding to my already busy schedule as year-end creep starts inching into view like The Blob.
On COVID watch for all incoming employees.
But it was good to see new and old employees in person.

So let’s start with the important stuff.

There. Was. Wine.

Wednesday night with two coworkers after the sales meeting was over.
Thursday night with my reheated tub of chili over leftover chopped spaghetti.
Friday night as soon as I walked in the door.
(Sorry, Finny and Alfie!)

Dinner tonight was secondary, but it was good. Couple of BISO chicken thighs were seasoned with olive oil and Penzeys’ Ozark seasoning mix, and into a 400° oven until cooked.

Brussels sprouts were halved and tossed with olive oil, s/p, a garlic/herb blend and roasted in the convection oven until they were almost done. Added some black fig paste to melt in the pan for the last 4-5 minutes or so.

Leftover Basmati rice alongside.

Did I mention There. Was. Wine?

19 Likes

Thank goodness! :smiley:

2 Likes

Chicken Rollatini (prosciutto, Provolone, Mozzarella, sautéed spinach) and mashed cauliflower with garlic and Pecorino Romano. Shockingly good if I do say so myself.

To drink: a couple of “French” martinis (gin, St. Germain, lime juice).

20 Likes

Mrs. P made her famous pan seared boneless quail breast salad with fresh figs, delicata squash, arugula, roasted mini peppers, and sauteed red onions, with a reduced balsamic syrup. For dessert we ordered and enjoyed a sensational 7 layer caramel cake from Carolines cakes in South Carolina. It was ordered through Goldbelly and arrived frozen in pristine condition in a tin container. It all went great with an excellent red blend.

16 Likes

Shocking, I say, just shocking!! (Looks delicious).

1 Like

Mole poblano with chicken, Mexi cauli rice and a salad of mixed greens, romaine, radish, avocado, green onion, black olive, ranch dressing sprinkled with Tajin. There was wine because I had drank all my tequila.

IMG_3953

17 Likes

oh man it looks it!

i’m going to copy your drink later tonight.

A riff on Italian wedding soup recipe - just ground beef, no meatballs, with homemade chicken broth, sauteed gr. beef, onions, garlic, parsley, shredded carrots, a huge bunch of basil, whole peeled tomatoes, acini di pepe, and a shit-ton of parm regg in and on. For as few ingredients as this had, it was really flavorful, and super easy. And it really did taste like it had meatballs in it, without the extra work.

18 Likes

Big fan of gin and elderflower, though what I’d recognize as a “french” martini is vodka, chambord, and a splash of pineapple juice… :cocktail::cocktail:

(Had to stop drinking them when they appeared on SATC and everyone started selling an awful version of the actual. )

2 Likes

Recently a few European recipes I looked at, there is soy sauce. Eg Swedish meatballs (soy sauce with mustard, French grilled chicken, soy with lemon juice,

The French mushroom soup usually include sour cream.

3 Likes

Looks and sounds amazing

Had a lovely day with my sister in the Newburyport/Rowley, MA area with shopping, antiquing, and fooding. A fun and funny/teasing chat with the owner of the antique store we went to.

What was a beautiful late fall day turned into a very quick moving storm: thunder and lightning for me up north of Boston after I got home, a tornado warning for her on the South Shore that required her to take cover in her basement. Thankfully nothing happened in her immediate area. I hope anyone in the NY, RI, CT, and MA area in the path of this quick storm remained safe.

Dinner decided when I was driving home: Fettuccine Carbonara with a side of green beans that needed to be used up. Used a couple of thick slices of bacon instead of guanciale as it’s what I had.

Wine.

And a picture of a “VW Bug” on the lawn of the antique store that the owner had bought for himself after the artist had passed away awhile back. My sister and I fell in love with it.

18 Likes

Looks like fun! I had 5 brothers, but never a sister. Always wondered what that relationship could have been like, but I did grow up with a few female cousins. Not close anymore.

Barnstable County had tornado warnings and we still have wild wind and rain in Eastham. But still have power on the outer Cape.

2 Likes

Was wondering how the Cape fared…glad to hear you still have power.

2 Likes

It’s still howling’ !!! We live on a beach road in the pinewoods just around the corner from the bay. We’re at sea level, and it can get very primal here. Screen doors are bangin’ and our Aussies don’t want to go out but it’s not cold and we have plenty of wine…

3 Likes

We enjoyed another fabulous dinner at Cafe Panache in Ramsey, NJ including poached lobster in a lobster bisque sauce; rack of lamb with excellent bread and butter bread pudding; endive, honey crisp apple, and Roquefort cheese salad. It all went great with an excellent 2009 cabernet.

9 Likes

It’s a broccoli and langostino red curry over rice noodles. Some fresh herbs on top would have worked great, but none in the house. Made a simple dinner because granola was simultaneously being baked in the oven and stirred every 15 min.

15 Likes

Linguine alfredo with shrimp. Toasted ancient grains baguette, green salad with tomatoes, red onion, cucumber, o&v dressing. Wine. Gorgeous day on the Oregon coast.

17 Likes