What's For Dinner #74 - The Long "Fall Into Darkness, Warmth & Comfort" Edition - October 2021

that looks wonderful!

2 Likes

Really?!

For Respectfully Declined yes. For you? Not so much.

1 Like

Sushi out. I made an adult birthday cake with apricot jam. Next time I would make a darker chocolate frosting.

22 Likes

I’m a‘miring your adult sprinkle management. @NotJrvedivici has sum competition.

Happy birthday, btw.

2 Likes

Chilly day, so eggplant chili. With some green sauce left over from Mexican takeout, and squeeze bottle sour cream (first time I’ve had that) from some Airbnb guests. Didn’t have time to eat my lunch, so I repurposed the hardboiled egg and made it more fancy.

19 Likes

Dinner was shell pasta in a vodka cream sauce I made on Sunday, with hot Italian sausage, shiitake mushrooms, arugula, and red bell peppers. not sure i could taste the vodka at all, but this was delish. Sausage came from Italian butcher Panizzera in Russian River, where we spent our anniversary weekend. Nice and quite spicy, considering i added no extra red chili flakes. While we didn’t love the sausages whole (dry texture), they were great in this, and I’d buy them again.

BF made one of my favorite salads - super simple, old WW recipe - thinly sliced raw zucchini, basil, arugula and parm in a very lemony vinaigrette.

Vodka sausage sauce & shells-02

Vodka sausage sauce & shells-01

18 Likes

It is raining today. Break out the bourbon, a Manhattan, and it feels like a soup day. I found meat balls and cannellini beans in the freezer. Sauteed carrots, onions, red peppers, swiss chard, added chicken broth and then the meat balls and beans. Warm baguette and butter, green salad, avocado, sun sugars, green onion, mushrooms and bleu cheese dressing.

IMG_3855

19 Likes

Yummmm

3 Likes

Some blackened chicken that had been marinated in Mama Sita’s BBQ sauce. This is of Filipino origin and is a wonderful blend of sweet and savory, producing a nice caramelization. It honestly tasted like it came from an Asian restaurant. With Trader Joes butternut squash cauliflower risotto. (This was MEH-- it was just missing something)

14 Likes

After a VERY rich dinner yesterday, today was a light minestrone. The colors are a little muddled due to my using a bean called “orca” that is, you guess it, black with white spots. Tasty though. And a bit of a cleanse. I think I’m going to gift myself some more heirloom beans for Chanukah this year. If anyone has an inside edge on when they might be doing any promotions, I’d love a heads up.

15 Likes

That sandwich looks incredible!!!

1 Like

:grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

Flageolet beans from freezer with diced tomato, tzatziki, sous-vide lamb chops, and peas.

PXL_20211006_013150084.PORTRAIT

PXL_20211006_024947161.PORTRAIT

15 Likes

Adding birthday wishes for @Christina M and Mrs P! Do hope you enjoyed with great food and good company! :bouquet::champagne::clinking_glasses::birthday:

And for @LindaWhit later in the week! :sunflower::cupcake::wine_glass::wine_glass::wine_glass:

6 Likes

Feeling myself again!

I baked two desserts to take to friends’ where I had been invited to dinner. Two because I made one, but it was experimental, and then I got anxious about the outcome, so I quickly made something safe as a backup.

First - I made up something I call Rasmalai Cake - flavors based the Indian dessert Rasmalai, and inspired by tres leches cake which I love. Flavored with cardamom and saffron.

But when I started having doubts about the soaking working, I decided to make flan as a backup. Used orange to flavor it.

Well, the cake was big hit, so the flan was unnecessary. And still, most of both got eaten, haha. Totally forgot to take pics in all my stress.

Oh - dinner was tacos and fajitas, ordered in.

16 Likes

Grissini, cream cheese, smoked salmon, and a hybrid face to face and Zoom meeting.

5 Likes

Looks very lovely.

How many Saffron threads did you employ ?

Steak Tartar on terrace. A true gem …

9 Likes

Wednesday. We attended an event a week ago and had the meat dish … And we went out for lunch with our colleagues and had a Margherita with Anchovies …

9 Likes