What's For Dinner #74 - The Long "Fall Into Darkness, Warmth & Comfort" Edition - October 2021

Poached some chicken, then shredded it. Mixed it with sauteed chopped onions, red bell peppers, and some canned green chiles, and drained black beans.

Homemade red enchilada sauce schmeared inside, the chicken/bean mixture spooned in, some shredded Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheese sprinkled in, then rolled up.

Additional enchilada sauce spooned on top with some more cheese, and baked at 350° for about 20 minutes.

Sour cream, green onion, and parsley as the toppings.

It wasn’t until I cut into one that I realized I forgot some leftover rice that could have been added to the chicken mixture. Oh well, it still tasted great!

Wine. And YAY PATRIOTS!

12 Likes

I added heavy cream and passata to leftover pork and pepper braise. Mixed with pasta and Pecorino and served with an arugula and pear salad. Very tasty.

15 Likes

Papperdelle with hens-of-the-woods
Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 5.18.47 PM

17 Likes

The Pacific Ocean is roaring this evening, it must be angry at something.
Soup and salad for dinner. Italian sausage, bacon, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, jarred piquillo peppers, s&p, dried thyme, bay leaf, chicken broth and swiss chad from the garden, served with shaved parm. Salad of romaine, radicchio, sun sugars, avocado, green onion, ranch dressing and warm buttered telera roll.

12 Likes

We started watching that yesterday, it’s good!

Excuse the shittier than usual lighting, our power has been out for the last 8 hours. But two outlets in one wall in kitchen are working, so the fridge/freezer is ok. Stove is gas, so we just lit it with a match to cook.

Chicken Milanesa with a fried egg, salsa fresca and rice. Very Bolivian meal, tho I’d usually make the Milanesa with pounded steak, or even pork. Deboned thighs were pretty small. But they turned out great Just egg and panko -crispalicious.

dinner by candle and LED flashlights. :stuck_out_tongue::heart:

17 Likes

October trudges along. Last two nights were more museum fundraising events. Raised a lot of money thankfully. I was there again this afternoon for maintenance and filming promos for next weekend’s happenings. I’m exhausted but glad I was able to cook tonight…and have a drink!

A martini…or two! Extra olives. Obviously.

Rigatoni with chicken, broccoli, and roasted red peppers in vodka sauce. Didn’t know what kind of pasta I wanted, so I threw it all in! Side of garlic bread with fresh mozzarella and balsamic glaze.

Friday night we ordered some pretty decent pizza for our volunteers while last night my boss donated a catered dinner for us (no pics).

18 Likes

Oh my .

Our friend invited us over for an outstanding dinner with some excellent wines. We enjoyed kimchi ramen topped with an egg; beef Wellington topped with horseradish sauce; tuna; chicken katsu; dumplings; and caesar salad among other things.

11 Likes

Vegetarian bolognese. When I should be working, I convince myself that cooking is also work.

bolognese

13 Likes

Happy World Pasta Day …

12 Likes

Which show?

1 Like

Oh! David Chang.

we are also watching Squid Game, but we’re enjoying it. Cuz we’re sick like that. :roll_eyes:

maybe enjoying isn’t the right word. compelled by it.

1 Like

I wound up binging Squid Game with my brother after all. Head scratcher.
I enjoy D Chang.

1 Like

Tonight I made pork noodle soup, borrowing ideas from Melissa Clark and The Woks of Life. I infused the broth with scallions and ginger and added a little bit of white pepper, rock sugar, soy sauce, and fish sauce. A small salad on the side of CSA celery, radish, cilantro, and pepper in sesame dressing.

For dessert we’ll be sampling some desserts I made to send to friends in D.C.: food-processor brown butter, brown sugar, and nutmeg pound cakes and cookie bars with white chocolate, pistachio, and dried blueberries.

16 Likes

Beautiful Christina

2 Likes

So - we couldn’t find the empanada frozen wrappers in our own Latin grocery. But a strange thing happened last night. We were driving home from spending FIL’s bday with him. Stopped to grab takeout dimsum in the Seattle outskirts. The kid was feeling a little nauseous, and wanted to go into the next door to dimsum Latin market to look for a ginger ale. Voila empanada wrappers! Not to mention Inka cola - he’s been on the hunt since he tried it at the Coke pavilion at Disney. So an all around win.

9 Likes

Please tell me I’m not the only one whose computer gets inundated with recipes or creative dishes. Today one caught my eye so I decided to try it since it involves one of my sons favorite meals; chicken parmigiana.

Primarily it’s a chicken parm casserole with the chicken baked inside a pan of pasta made with garlic and cream and egg. (I mistook my wax paper for parchment paper so I had to remove the casserole early to remove the wax paper mistake) All in all it was ok, though my son LOVED it. Been there, done that, probably will never make it again. Lol

20 Likes

@Barca pointed out that today is World Pasta Day so I wanted pasta.

Packaged butternut squash ravioli from Trader Joe’s with an improvised sauce using a sautéed leek, slivers of speck, and Point Reyes blue cheese.

This might sound organized but don’t be fooled. :wink: I was using up a little of this and that from the fridge.

17 Likes

Monkfish with more (I really overbought!) maitakes, asparagus and, why not, more vin jaune but without cream this time.
Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 5.46.29 PM

15 Likes