What's For Dinner #74 - The Long "Fall Into Darkness, Warmth & Comfort" Edition - October 2021

A Horse’s Neck. Say what! Bourbon and ginger ale. Little did I know that back in the day when I was easing back into brown liquor, after a youthful indiscretion, I was drinking a Horse’s Neck when I was drinking VO and ginger.

Dinner was fried. Fried shrimp, fried rice, fried shishitos and for my cholesterol a salad of cabbage, Asian pear, black sesame seeds with Asian dressing.

17 Likes

The prawns for this dish, are called Carabiñeros (Crevettes in both English & French). They are a large deep deep red prawn from Brittany´s coastline as they like cold cold waters, with an incredible taste, unlike regular prawns. They are quite extraordinary.

Served aboard a simple spaghetti with Evoo and a bit of garlic and dressed with aubergine tongues which were dressed with Evoo & ecological honey …

Wonderful little plate …

2 Likes

Canned chili. The cheese, white onion, and sour cream didn’t help a bit. Not good :confounded: but it was a meal.

3 Likes

Friday. Seaviews bring us back to the sea … Fettuccini with Iberian Ham and Crevettes in a traditional dish with a Dittalini Pasta.

7 Likes

What a lovely coastal view and a meal to match. Enjoy the day and your weekend!

2 Likes

Thank you and same to you too !!! 14.15 here. The views are so harmonious.

1 Like

Very lovely and typical of the Empordà (Costa Brava).

Have a wonderful weekend.

1 Like

Mrs. P made a delicious kabocha squash stuffed with shrimp and butternut squash puree. We started off with homemade guacamole and chips. It all went great with an outstanding ridiculously inexpensive Rutherford Napa cabernet that was on sale at Bottle King. I highly recommend it. Also a gratuitous picture of Bulgari :blush:

20 Likes

Looks wonderful …

Adore the photo of the French Bulldog – he is quite cute …

1 Like

nothing gratuitous about that mug!

4 Likes

I am a cat person however, I think Paryzer´s French Bulldog is adorable !

All have our own viewpoints !!!

Have a nice weekend.

2 Likes

Your doggie is adorable :heart::heart::heart:

4 Likes

Nice looking squash!

A bad cab (or any wine for that matter) are difficult to find in Napa Valley. Btw - I used to frequent the Rutherford Grill in Rutherford and always enjoyed it! Besides world class wine Napa Valley is home to some delicious restaurants.

3 Likes

Been a couple of days since I’ve posted, so a compilation post.

Wednesday night was TJs Ricotta and Lemon Zest raviolis with a quick lemon-garlic-parsley cream sauce drizzled on top.

Thursday night was out with a coworker at the restaurant next door to work for belated birthday wine and munchies. I chose Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese Bites with marinara subbed for Buffalo aioli and jalapeño.

Friday night was out with a friend to Dali. Julio was back behind the bar after a 6 month hiatus (mostly from wrecking his knee putting in an A/C unit in a window). It was SO good to have him behind the bar again…I think it was February 2020 since I last saw him!

Sangria for my friend and myself, and tapas were bacon-wrapped manchego cheese and roasted pear with a garlic-onion relish, pork tenderloin with Spanish cabrales blue cheese and portobello, Patatas Bravas (God, I love these so much…so simple but SO good!), and skewers of grilled spiced chicken kebabs with lemon sour cream (no picture). We ended with Cuarenta y Tres (that’s Julio in the background).

I have Monday and Tuesday off. (I had Friday off as well, but I was still working via Slack and Email for a few hours.)

And just because…a picture of a sunrise my sister took from near Bethel, Maine from Thursday morning, and a picture of silly Alfie from Thursday night.

17 Likes

Aww I :heart: Alfie!

1 Like

Thank you!
I would love to visit Napa Valley one day and try some of their awesome wines and restaurants.
I was just impressed with the quality of this cab at such a ridiculous price of $18.50. I initially only bought 4 bottles to taste it and just bought another 8. I don’t know how much longer the sale is going on for, but I highly recommend it for anyone living near a Bottle King.

Also thank you @Barca @mariacarmen and @HaniBee121 for the comments about my sweet Frenchie :blush:

@Barca, I also have a cat :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Lovely Ravioli …

1 Like

Played hooky yesterday, and went to Healdsburg in Sonoma for wine tasting with a friend. She only did half or less of the tastings, as she was driving. Gorgeous day! We tasted some great pinots, and a few other things, at a winery I hadn’t been to in 20 years, now under new ownership. We brought a picnic lunch, she made a cauliflower picata over elbow macaroni which was fantastic, I brought acme olive bread, cheeses, and my zhoug swirled into Fage full fat yogurt. Hit another couple wineries, got home at 8:00. BF had already eaten, so I noshed on more bread and cheese. A perfect day.

21 Likes

Wonderful wines surely and lovely cheeses and photos.

1 Like

Garbanzos … Chick pea soup to take the chill of a cloudy grey day off …

10 Likes