What's For Dinner #74 - The Long "Fall Into Darkness, Warmth & Comfort" Edition - October 2021

Thanks Gregg! I’ll convey the message to Mrs. P.

1 Like

Happy Birthday Mrs. Paryzer.

What an exceptional dinner and wines. Love the birthday message on the plate !!!

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll convey the message to Mrs. P.

1 Like

Guests for dinner! We haven’t had indoor guests (except 2 family members) since 3/20! For some reason, maybe Delta had us paranoid, we didn’t do much entertaining at all over the summer when the weather was nice. We started to entertain a bit when school started, but tonight it was dark stormy, windy rainy, and it wasn’t conducive to the original hope which was to eat on the deck and have a fire going.

So I gulped and had them all inside. 2 other families, 12 people in all. Everyone vaxxed or it would have been a no go. And just right for the weather was chili. Beef and bean, a vegetarian version with carrot and corn to round it out, and a topping bar. Much enjoyment was had as we felt like a return to normal for a few hours.

18 Likes

Wow, thanks for the seared gnocchi recipe and possible modifications! I can see this prep being adaptable for hearty meals as the weather gets cooler.

2 Likes

Save me a bowl of that chili, please. :wink:

Your vegetarian chili reminds me that black bean and butternut squash chili needs to return to our rotation before long. It’s a useful combo because I can serve it vegan style or decide to add in meat like cooked and shredded brisket.

2 Likes

Try them “scorched” in a cast iron pan with a tad of olive oil. Coarse salt. Really loud shout for the sprout!

1 Like

Thanks for the link. Gonna try it.

1 Like

That looks fun! I’m with you in the awkwardness of entertaining as the weather cools. At this point it’s very much a risk calculation. Luckily all our close friends are fully vaxxed - but their/our kids can’t be yet.

A wonderful meal all around! Many happy wishes to Mrs. P.

1 Like

I invited my closest Asheville friends for an outdoor birthday celebration. We did a high/low wine tasting party with each person bringing either a <$15 or >$20 bottle to blind taste. This turned out to be a great way to introduce my friends to each other (I even heard some making plans together!) and see almost everyone whose company I most enjoy.

Unfortunately I didn’t manage any photos of either our front porch lounge setup or the food, as a couple arrived early. But here’s what was served:

Rosé sparkling wine
Cornichons
Castelvetrano olives
Dolmades
Artichoke spread
Sweet and spicy pecans
Pistachios in their shells
Buttered popcorn
Cocktail meatballs in smoky sweet roasted red pepper and tomato sauce
Dark russet potato chips
Spinach dip, crudites, and pita crackers
Italian prosciutto
Cheese board - Vermont extra sharp white cheddar, Saint Andre, and Spanish cheese sampler with cracker assortment and homemade jam
Giant fried “Inca” corn
Ranch oyster cracker snack mix with pretzels, Goldfish, and peanuts

Plus all the wines. This one was the priciest and probably the favorite:

DH made me a red velvet layer cake. Funny story - he made it twice because he forgot eggs the first go-round.

PXL_20211010_025748361

21 Likes

I’m extremely grateful that my kids (youngest is almost 16), and the mostly above 12 aged kids of my friends, are old enough and everyone is a believer in science and public welfare. It makes things a lot easier! I feel for you and everyone with littles. First, how hard it must’ve been when the schools were shut down, now with them reopen and no vax yet available. You guys got the short end of the stick for sure.

3 Likes

The carrots were roasted first. I really like that flavor and texture, and I thought it would be more “meaty” than to just boil them like in a soup.

2 Likes

Now I’m imagining those roasty carrots tucked into a bowl of your chili. Yum.

I have been obsessed with roasting carrots from our CSA this season (also cherry peppers but that’s another topic). Olive oil, salt, and variations on spices here.

1 Like

That’s a smart hack

1 Like

Two dinners I’ve made in the last weeks that I’d never tasted or seen:).
Moussaka, I’d heard of but never made or tasted and
Tetelas - never heard of them but from the description I knew I’d like them. Also, I had just received some new masa harina I was eager to try.

The moussaka was delicious although i changed it to a vegetarian version (fake ground beef). The recipe had a layer of fried potato slices on the bottom which I liked. The pic is a slice of it cold, not yet reheated -only one I took.

The tetelas were so so good. Will definitely make them again. The new masa made them easy to form. Recipe used:

21 Likes

Those both look so delicious! Especially the skillet treats.

4 Likes

I love the idea of the high/low wine-tasting party, what fun! And the food sounds delicious!

2 Likes

Early dinner, early to bed then an early start in the morning.

Tenderloin

19 Likes

Thanks for posting the recipe for the Tetelas Oaxaca. I have some too thick black bean soup that I bet would work in these.