What's For Dinner #74 - The Long "Fall Into Darkness, Warmth & Comfort" Edition - October 2021

Nothing to say. BRAVO .!!!

4 Likes

Lucky fam! Looks delicious. How long did all this take to make?

4 Likes

I left work around 2, home from shopping by 4pm, guests arrived 6:30. (well food hit the table for 6:30 but guests were late :rage:, so I kept things warm)

6 Likes

Sure looks and sounds good!

1 Like

I couple of Sundays ago the New York Times had special section of " 24 Easy Dinner Recipes". While none of them were earth-shattering they were simple, quick, and use items I usually have on hand. I expect I’ll be making many of them for those nights (all too frequent now) when I really don’t feel like spending much time thinking about what to make for dinner.

The first one I tried Crispy Gnocchi with Burst Tomatoes and Mozzarella. I had the last of our cherry tomatoes and some old basil to use up and this seemed like a good way. It was simple and quick. I used a cast iron pan as directed by the recipe but this could easily be a sheet pan dinner. There is plenty of room to put your spin on it.

I’m not sure if this is behind a paywall.

19 Likes

Yeah, paywall. However I can see the dishes listed and riff from there. :grinning:

Your take on the gnocchi looks fantastic!

11 Likes

Someone gifted us mystery pieces of beef and we decided to grill them. Wish us luck.

@Saregama, as a purist at heart, biryani pulao bothers me on so many levels. I wish biryani pulao wasn’t delicious.

12 Likes

Hahahaha - well said.

1 Like

Very late to sleep last night.
Very late to rise this morning.
Even more very late to run my Saturday errands.
Pfffttt. It all worked out.

Dinner was patterned after a Food Network recipe after Googling some recipes for the way my brain was leaning with ingredients I knew were in the house.

I don’t usually go with TFN recipes, but it was an Ina recipe, who I’ll trust a lot more than most of those on TFN: a lemon-pepper marinated B/S chicken breast from my local butcher, augmented with Penzeys’ Florida Lemon-Pepper seasoning blend. Pan-seared in olive oil for 5 minutes on one side, then flipped and tucked into a 400° oven for 15 minutes.

Sauce was as Ina directs, and sides were leftover Basmati rice and newly steamed green beans.

Oh, there was wine. It’s Saturday, after all. :wink:

17 Likes

Fresh caught Minnesota scallops. :smirk:

21 Likes

“Cornish” pasties. Lard/butter pastry filled with steak, potato, onion, carrot, rutabega. Veal broth gravy.
Channeling Woolworth’s lunch counter, Butte, Montana, 1950s. Husband says I’m close!
Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 5.34.15 PM

Screen Shot 2021-10-09 at 5.34.44 PM
Sweet pink grapefruit on the side.

22 Likes

That’s an impressive work! Looks delicious.

2 Likes

Prettiest plate I have put together in awhile. Fresh salsa from CSA/neighbors tomatoes, crab cakes with crema, rice with tomato and saffron, plus avocado and radish salad.

Years ago we used to go to a restaurant called Zapotec on Martha’s Vineyard. They served a crab cake entree that inspired me.

23 Likes

Honest confession. The pastry was a “piece of cake”, but when husband asked there was anything he could do, I jumped! He cubed all of the veg, which to me is the biggest bore. The rest is idiot’s play. Make a circle, plop filling off center, close up, bake. I never knew he had such knife skills! :wink:

7 Likes

Had a wonderful six day week because we are so short staffed. Between that, my second job teaching, and the museum I volunteer at, I didn’t have nearly a moment to myself. But I’m off tomorrow and didn’t have to cook tonight.

Mom made her annual Oktoberfest contribution with this dinner of Chicken Schnitzel, mushroom gravy, and German potato salad with bacon. I look forward to this every year and it never disappoints. An old recipe and many years of enjoyment.

To drink: Jack Daniel’s on the rocks. Several. I had looked through my rather large collection for something German to pair with it. But it was to no avail. There was the USA, Scotland, Ireland, France, Greece, Russia, Poland, Italy, and England, but no Germany. Guess my days of frozen Jager shots are over. :no_mouth:

22 Likes

Chicken stir fry, thin strip of blsl chicken breast, carrots, red peppers, snap peas, onion and garlic. A splash of chicken broth and tamari, a squeeze of hoisin and gochujang. A sprinkle of black sesame seeds and green onion. Fried cauli rice. Red cabbage, radish kimchi and shishito pepper slaw, Asian vinaigrette, sesame seeds.
Apéritif was an Americano.

14 Likes

I had a feeling it was. I still get the paper every day to do the crossword puzzle and so have on-line access. I pretty much followed the recipe but will likely make some changes next time - I’m thinking feta of mozzarella or maybe adding some good Italian sausage.

Crispy Gnocchi with Burst Tomatoes and Mozzarella

• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
  • 2 (12- to 18-ounce) packages shelf-stable or refrigerated potato gnocchi
  • ¼ cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
  • 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • ¼ teaspoon red-pepper flakes, plus more for serving
  • Kosher salt and black pepper
  • 2 pints small tomatoes, such as cherry, grape or Sungold
  • ¼ cup thinly sliced or torn basil leaves (optional), plus more for serving
  • 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut or torn into 1/2-inch pieces
  1. Heat the broiler with a rack about 6 inches from the heat source.
  2. In a large (12-inch) skillet on the stovetop, heat enough olive oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan (about 1 tablespoon) over medium-high. Add half the gnocchi to the pan, breaking up any that are stuck together. Cover with a lid or baking sheet and cook, undisturbed, until golden brown on one side, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl. Repeat with the remaining gnocchi and olive oil.
  3. Add the butter to the skillet and cook over medium-high, stirring often, until golden-brown and toasty, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the garlic, red-pepper flakes, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and a few grinds of pepper, reducing the heat slightly if necessary to avoid scorching. Add the tomatoes and 3 tablespoons water and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until the tomatoes have softened and the liquid has slightly thickened, 4 to 6 minutes. Smash the tomatoes as they burst to help them along.
  4. Add the seared gnocchi and 1/4 cup basil (if using), stir to coat, then shake into an even layer. Top with the mozzarella and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Broil until the cheese is melted and browned in spots, 2 to 4 minutes. Top with more basil, red-pepper flakes and black pepper as desired.
9 Likes

Mrs. P enjoyed an excellent birthday celebration at James on Main in Hackettstown, NJ. We enjoyed croustade of smoked salmon with herbed creme fraiche, osetra caviar and edible flowers; burrata with local beets, empress plum compote, salted mixed nuts, and aged balsamic vinegar; duckleg confit with homemade sausage, flageolet, watercress and green garlic puree; golden tilefish with pumpkin seed crumble, sweet corn velvet, foraged black trumpet mushrooms, pickled beet butter, and red sorrel; brisket with wood fired corn succotash, white polenta, and braising jus. We had chocolate mousse with lemon curd and hazelnut toffee crunch. It all went great with an excellent Shiraz and Chateauneuf Du Pape.

16 Likes

Happy birthday Mrs. P!

1 Like