What's For Dinner #74 - The Long "Fall Into Darkness, Warmth & Comfort" Edition - October 2021

Have some Jessica’s Brick Oven Bakery sourdough and have been craving a panino.

So I made a prosciutto, fig jam, sliced apple and goat cheese panino tonight. Cheeps alongside.

I used a small Northern Spy, and I wanted gruyere and thought I had some but I must have used it all in the mac and cheese a couple of weeks ago. It was still good with the goat cheese. The prosciutto and tart apple helped curb the sweetness of the fig jam in there.

21 Likes

OH MY, THOSE CURLS! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

BUMMER about the saltiness! Too bad because those shrimps look great.

well looky what i found!

https://importfood.com/item/mama-sitas-hot-pepper-sauce-labuyo

i’ve tried the Mama Sita marinades in the past, but not this.

Dang, it’s out of stock.

3 Likes

I bought my 2nd son a onesie when he was about a year. It said “I’m not a girl” - in his case, it wasn’t the long curls. It was the long eyelashes :slight_smile: [This was 14 yrs ago, when we weren’t even having gender conversations…]

5 Likes

Husband requested a Mission District shrimp cocktail. Simple and GOOD! He said “Save the juice!”, maybe reappearing tomorrow as a Bloody Mary. House chips.

18 Likes

Ooh! Mine is not spicy. Just says BBQ sauce. But I’d love to try that!

That looks really good. Recipe?

Super easy. Cook shrimp in small amount of water; save and chill the cooking water. Add catsup, lime juice, hot sauce (we like Valemtina), cucumber, red (or other sweet) onion, avocado, cilantro. It’s all to taste. Enjoy!

6 Likes

Adorable curls!!

1 Like

Thank you! Shell on a must?

For the best shrimp water, yes. But (shush…) these were shelled, cooked, frozen, bought this morning. Just defrosted. Covered in boiling water and added a spoon of powdered shellfish broth. Was delicious.

4 Likes

Tenzaru soba using frozen soba and frozen shrimp tempura, with a salad of spring mix and tomato, and miso soup.

20 Likes

I’m sure you get excellent recommendations and a nice pour.

Those blond curls remind me of The Sprout when she was young. She still has the curls but now the hair is purple

7 Likes

Brussels sprouts. It’s been a while. Growing up just south of Davenport California. Grown under the fog and cool ocean breezes. Yes I even picked them for one day at my friends farm. I was scanning the vegetables at the small store where I shop . Looking for zucchini I noticed Brussels sprouts being trimmed for sale . I eagerly grabbed some . Halved soaked in salted water for a half hour . Then steamed for 6 minutes. Finished in a little garlic and olive oil . Shout, shout for Brussels sprouts. Thought about baking them. Never have done it and not going to start now . Lol . Cheers :wine_glass:

7 Likes

I’ve never understood “tsp” measurement for saffron. Nor “pinch” - I have delicate fingers, but even when I try to “pinch” saffron, there are way too many threads. Why don’t recipes just say approx # threads to be used…

This coming from somewhere that saffron is revered - and incredibly expensive - and I might actually still get smacked if I used too much by mistake :rofl: (Also: I can’t watch any tv cooking show where they’re cooking with saffron - it’s traumatic to watch them waste it :woman_facepalming:t2:

6 Likes

Thanks! I love tres leches, and I love rasmalai, but the latter is too much work :joy:

I really should have taken a pic, both looked gorgeous served - but I was so incredibly nervous!

I was just thinking that the cake itself was actually very tasty even without the soaking liquid, so I may make it again with the leftover ricotta. (There was a 50/50 shot that I’d get my dishes back with the leftovers, but what convinced me that they weren’t bluffing to make me feel better is that they emptied the containers first :rofl:)

3 Likes

Do you notice a big difference between dry and frozen soba? Is frozen better in your experience?

Both The Sprout and I love Brussels sprouts. I usually halve them and then roast but your way sounds good too. I always buy the big stem of them you sometimes see at Trader Joe’s to use as part of my Thanksgiving centerpiece.

2 Likes

I didn’t notice a huge difference (first time trying frozen soba actually though I’ve had frozen udon many times) but I do think it was better than the dried soba I’ve used before. Better texture/less gummy?

2 Likes