What's For Dinner #74 - The Long "Fall Into Darkness, Warmth & Comfort" Edition - October 2021

Long 3 day weekend ahead. Monday is a Bank Holiday.

There are several Saints revered throughout Spain on October 12th, in addition to Cádiz, Andalusia: Columbus Day, who is called Cristobal Colón and also in Galicia where his tomb is located.)

So, up to the Cape !

Risotto with pasta, lentils, wild seabass, and then there is a home made bread from one of my daughter in laws.

HUNGRYONIONFRIDAYFISH173958975_10216322028957999_1477228244369633293_n

8 Likes

That homemade bread looks especially good!

2 Likes

I made a sort of Thai curry noodle soup to get some veggies in. Yellow zucchini (from our new CSA, yay!), carrots, onion, shallot, lemongrass, a few thin green beans, tomato, and tofu swimming in a Penang curry broth with coconut milk, chicken broth, lemongrass, cilantro, fish sauce, coconut sugar, lime juice, turmeric, Golden Mountain sauce, and Penang paste. Everyone liked it; I diluted the kiddo:s.

17 Likes

Is this widely eaten or more of a combination you do at home?

1 Like

If I had a straw, how quickly that broth would disappear. Yum.

1 Like

I’ve done this, too. Can’t remember where I saw it posted. Tres Leches’ texture is a little like rasmalai, so it worked on multiple levels I thought. I’ve also soaked with gulab jamun syrup. It’s heavier, doesn’t work as well, but still a good way to use leftover syrup.

Looks delicious! (And I love that kiddo had a diluted version too!)

1 Like

My day was busy, but pretty good. A Prime cut NY Strip was purchased yesterday from my local butcher for my special dinner. Twasn’t cheap…BUT I had two $10 coupons, so it only cost me $1.84. Can’t beat that with a stick. :grin: Seasoned just with s/p and olive oil and grilled on the grill pan and finished in the oven to about 135°.

Mushrooms were sauteed in butter, seasoned with s/p and dried thyme, and a hefty sploosh of red wine I got as a gift today was added and reduced.

Potatoes were par-steamed and then roasted in the convection oven for about 15 minutes with oil, s/p, dried thyme and paprika and then moved to the regular oven to finish.

Brussels sprouts were halved and tossed with olive oil and s/p and roasted in the convection oven.

Red wine was the libation…was a nice pairing.

20 Likes

I’ve seen recipes for gulab jamun cake - they usually use milk powder or mawa. Good idea on the syrup - ditto for rasgulla can syrup too. (Though I don’t keep either on hand because: I’ll eat them.)

(I actually tried my hand at a rasmalai cake several years ago too - my mom reminded me haha.)

1 Like

I want to dive directly into the screen. Scrumptious!

1 Like

Your dollar eighty four steak looks perfect

1 Like
5 Likes

I finally made a dish I have been craving for months - kheema!

In its perfect comfort food form - with macaroni. Let’s call it Indian Bolognese - no offense intended to the real stuff! This is childhood comfort food, and I absolutely LOVE it!

(This tastes best if the pasta is the opposite of al dente - somewhat overcooked :rofl:)

13 Likes

That works! Thanks for this!

2 Likes

great birthday dinner!

1 Like

I don’t have much free time in October but I had time tonight to take mom to my favorite bar and catch up. A couple of excellent Jack Daniel’s Old Fashioneds for me and mom had a Rob Roy. We shared an order of fried zucchini for an appetizer. For meals, she had pepperjack sliders and I had chicken tacos.

16 Likes

Pork pie with Branston pickle and a bit of mustard.

And a salad of spring mix, tomato, and cucumber.

19 Likes

Assam laksa, which I’ve had in the freezer since it was a Chowhound dish-o’-the-month a while back. Still good! I could not get it together to make anything that demanded more of me than cutting up some vegetables and heating frozen soup. Certainly could be worse, and I used up some of the torch ginger that’s been camping out in my fridge for months.

IMG_9853

15 Likes

Early dinner. Chicken enchilada, rice, and lettuce, tomato, onion salad with v&o dressing.

14 Likes

Thursday … Vongole … Always a pleasure …

7 Likes