What's for Dinner #73 - School's Back In! Edition - September 2021

I worked WAY TOO LATE (which in my case means 7:30pm). But I managed to get it together to make shrimp and oyster mushroom risotto, with parsley from the balcony. It was actually very pleasant to stand at the stove and mindlessly stir rice for a while. I also made a loaf of bread.

risotto

18 Likes

Supreme.

1 Like

Am I getting in under the September WFD wire? Still September here in California.

I’ve decided this is crudo, but with Turkish tea plates and olive oil, lime juice, jalapeno, Ahi Amarillo, and sort of rocotillo peppers.

I never use these for tea, but I am thinking of using them for Panna Cotta.

16 Likes

Do you mean TJs or Schaller? Think you may have conflated two separate comments…

(separately: epicerie has been a bit bare because: pandemic)

Jealous of your snow pea leaves!

(I like vindaloo better with rice… but haven’t eaten it in several years!)

1 Like

Another week, another pan of roasted Asian eggplant. This time, with a fresh cherry pepper, onion, tomato, and a square of feta cheese—channeling @digga with the baked feta.

This made a hearty, spicy sauce for creste di gallo pasta. Delicious, though less colorful without the rainbow of cherry tomatoes I included last time.

14 Likes

I’ve started a new thread for October here:

5 Likes

No, don’t worry. We have a few gourmet stores that I’m pleased about but neither would carry a pate. One is an Asian grocery, a Russian grocery (but they don’t prepare anything in house), and a Mediterranean deli. Also not big pate consumers, I don’t believe. We would go up to Canada not infrequently and there was a wonderful market there (Granville island) that had multiple pates that could be bought by weight, but they just recently opened the border after being closed for a long while, and they’re still making it difficult to get up there. A negative test is required, and in my little hamlet, it is a hassle and a wait of days to get one. We do have a Whole Foods and I’ll be sure to check out their offerings. I don’t legit shop there. I go in for high quality meats and then leave, and that’s typically about once a quarter.

3 Likes

The town is actually 100K, which isn’t terribly hicksville, but we are smack between SEA and VAN, so in comparison we are tiny.

3 Likes

My husband I were married for 6 yrs pre kids, and it was during law school and then law firm life. He was a PhD student. We would carpool, and routinely get home around 730-8, at which point we would start putting dinner together. We actually called it “T and S’s late dinners.” We were closer to the European dining schedule then, than we ever have been since. I can’t routinely eat that late now w/o heartburn getting the best of me at night.

1 Like

You definitely outgrow the ability to eat late (or at least I did). I used to routinely go out for a tuna melt or a breakfast special or piergi and mushroom barley soup after last call. This would probably kill me now.

3 Likes

Looove the heavy application of bonito flakes!!

4 Likes

Friday. Chipirones (breaded baby squid ) … A wonderful tapa.

8 Likes

Well a Whole Foods makes it not so hicksville :wink:

Yum @Mr_Happy ! Last time I made it, my friends were amazed how the bonito flakes moved on their own (with the heat?!)

Discovered that my cat adores the flakes as well!

2 Likes

Yes they do dance with the heat, it’s fun to watch. Re: kitties - there are bonito flakes as cat treats too! https://www.catmandoo.biz/cat-treats/bonito-flakes-4oz-big-bag

3 Likes

Our population is 102 k, about 7k of it living in our two prisons. :flushed:

1 Like

I am a grand fan of wooden board or black slate stone presentations.

Lovely presentation …

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s For Dinner #74 - The Long “Fall Into Darkness, Warmth & Comfort” Edition - October 2021

Yum. Looks delicious