What's for Dinner #73 - School's Back In! Edition - September 2021

I typically make mine by shredding and squeezing out the water, then mixing them with salt, pepper, beaten egg, and a bit of flour so that they’re not too soggy. And then I shallow fry. This time around, since I was doing an oven fried chicken with the flour/egg/panko dips, I put all of the extras into my zukes after putting the chicken in the oven. It worked out great - no waste.

3 Likes

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at Il Nido in Marlboro, NJ. We enjoyed fluke with capers, lemon, and brown butter; swordfish with eggplant meatballs; excellent mugnaia pasta and the always awesome charcuterie board. It all went great with an excellent Spanish priorat and 2009 cabernet.

16 Likes

Eggplant meatballs, interesting - was there some sort of binder involved? Any chew to it?

1 Like

Prime ribeye, fried green tomatoes and Mc-frites

17 Likes

last night at sister’s, i made tiny pistachio-crusted lamb chops, over arugula salad, sided by garlicky mashed potatoes. Sister made us amaretto sours and blistered padron peppers to start.

pistachio lamb chops

padrones

amaretto sours

Tonight i made galbi but marinated in a teriyaki-like sauce (ginger, brown sugar, soy, hoisin, garlic, sesame oil, rice vinegar, thai bird chilies), with a salad of odds and ends in a Thai sweet chili sauce dressing and garlicky rice.

Galbi rice salad

21 Likes

I’m not sure what kept it together but I didn’t notice any sort of binder, and there was no chew to it. It just melted in your mouth. It was very good. The dish also included eggplant caponata and fairytale eggplants.

4 Likes

Sea bass with lime and (Lots of) garlic.
18 Likes

Amazingly divine fish ! And exceptional charcuterie …

1 Like

thanks for the zucchini recipe . I do not have regular zucchini this year but have a lot of Cucuzza which is Italian zucchini, I used them to bake zucchini nut loaf, zucchini chocolate loaf as well as part of chinese stir fry with chicken etc . My son used them to make zucchini fritters but he typically just fries them on the plancha, grill them with EVOO or he would fry them with a small mouth of oil dipped in combination of sweet potato starch egg, and panko./parmesan mixture but without shredding them, just slicing them into rounds. They look beautiful honing from the arbors. I do not know if you can see them in this arbor. I took pictures from a distance.

10 Likes

Yesterday, son came home from overnight boat trip with 6 friends.( They had to be towed by Boat US as the fuel pump went kaput all the way 30 miles from home) We had dinner outdoor, ( there was a bushel of crabs which was a lot and so, most of the left overs were doggy bagged home for the guests as all of them returned home except one who is staying till tonight . ) The crabs were steamed outside using propane for cooking, grilled some of Costco’s pork free sausages ( unfortunately, it had lamb casing so I could not eat them(, grilled poblanos and all kinds of fruits. I had for lunch, left over tamarind seafood soup and fried some of those dried tuyo( herring) my brother in Canada ordered from a Filipino grocery in LA, with lime and rice. Well, there was some left over in the package and I gave the guests ( 3 of them Russians) a bit and they love it. The other 3 Americans did not even want to get close to them. Apparently, the Russians have those similar herrings . so, I grilled the rest of the package as the 3 Russians were so happy eating them, reminding them of home. No pictures except for the almost left over crabs at the bottom of the steamer as I was kept busy with my 2 pos. Son took mom Wolfie away which made Lunav ery upset She refused to eat her dinner , snack on Saturday night. Wolfie lost his ball Thursday, looked everywhere but could not find it. So, I ordered new lighted balls which arrived Saturday after they left and I was busy tossing the ball for him to fetch. He takes them and hoard them but not bright enough to give it back to me. So, that was tiring for me!

(FRUSTRATING AS THE PICTURES TAKEN FROM MY IPHONE WOULD ONLY APPEAR A FEW H OURS LATER IN MY MAC AIR BOOK BUT WHEN I TRY TO UPLOAD THEM FROm HUNGRy ONION SITE, IT IS NOT THERE. SOMETIMES, IT WOULD TAKE OVER 48-HORUS TO APPEAR AND UPLOAD. I HAVE NEVER ANSWERED FROM MY IPHONE AS IT IS DIFFICULT ENOUGH TO TYPE WITH MY EYESIGHT FROM THE MAC BOOK WITHOUT USNG READING GLASSES. WHICH I ABHOR!)

11 Likes

Leftovers + fresh veggies are the theme for at-home dinners this long weekend. We had a few tastes of seafood treasures from an earlier meal: lobster salad, smoked mussels, and salmon spread with smoked paprika.

I made quick pickled onions to go with the salmon spread. Add a salad, toast some bread, and it’s time to eat.

19 Likes

A quick Lemon Pasta …

15 Likes

Pasta again. Bolognese with steamed broccoli with roasted garlic oo and chili flake on the side.

18 Likes

Supposedly the “last day of summer”, but everyone in New England knows we usually get an Indian summer after the first frost in October or November.

Either way, I went with a fall-centric dinner tonight: pork tenderloin seasoned with a mix of olive oil, maple syrup, dried cracked rosemary and a maple rub made by Vermont Trade Winds. Roasted in a 375° oven until internal temp reached 145°.

Sides were mashed sweet potatoes with butter, half-and-half, honey, ground ginger and freshly grated nutmeg, and steamed green beans. And yup, wine on a Monday night. :wink:

And I must have a magic stairwell potato storage situation going on, because these sweets were purchased awhile ago (check the packed date!). In the 10+ years I’ve lived here, they’ve never lasted this long! :hushed:

https://www.vermonttradewinds.com/vermont-maple-rub.html

17 Likes

My holiday *fatty meat" indulgence. Smoked tomatoes and pluot and orange conserve for health.

Am I the only one irritated when so much work is consumed hunched over the kitchen sink? Get a plate and sit down people!

21 Likes

Beautiful 80 degree day on the coast today. Roasted tomatoes for the freezer, it always make the kitchen smell so good. Simmered thinly sliced left over pork loin roast and piperade in beer and KC Masterpiece bbq sauce all afternoon for a bbq pork sandwich. Sides were sweet potato fries with smoky aioli and cabbage, apple, celery, sunflower seed slaw, curry/mayo/vinegar dressing. The last of the rum for Jungle Birds.

18 Likes

How I learned that it is too hot to make soondubu jjigae: I made soondubu jjigae.

IMG_9571

18 Likes

BF made a giant Cobb salad with leftover chicken, bacon, blue cheese-stuffed olives, tomatoes, cukes, HB egg, etc., and homemade goat/sheep cheese dressing. Very refreshing on a very summery day (esp. for San Francisco.)

19 Likes

A beautiful day today but I had to work so could not enjoy the weather. Did enjoy this post-work “End of Summer” G & T (Beefeater gin).

Dinner was some Amylu roasted garlic and Asiago chicken sausage, grilled asparagus, kettle chips, and mac salad.

19 Likes

A day out with my staff …

9 Likes