What's for Dinner #73 - School's Back In! Edition - September 2021

Yes, I do agree that Mrs. P has elegant taste in interior design & decoration and yes, a green thumb too !

We love the sea and we are taking advantage of the lovely weather too … and this trip has given us time to spend with our twin sons, daughter in laws and 2 grandsons.

And of course dad and father in law too. My mom is busy with my grandparents as they are getting on and preparing some treats for all of us !!!

Have a lovely weekend.

3 Likes

You are very fortunate to live near such beautiful surroundings with amazing food, and a bonus of being able to spend quality time with your family.

1 Like

Thanks @GretchenS :pray::relaxed:

I was pleasantly surprised by this recipe and the spicy :hot_pepper: turmeric and oil marinade seems to help keep the fish moist.

The Vietnamese dish, Cha Ca Thang Long, traditionally uses catfish and it’s served with a nuoc mam dipping sauce and bun rice vermicelli.

Being on a low carb and low sodium diet, Cassia restaurant’s intentional omission of fish sauce and rice noodles in favor of more herbs and fresh lime is quite helpful and delicious.

4 Likes

Slept in after staying up late reading.
Got started late.
Traffic going north was a bear.
(Like, duh! Gorgeous holiday weekend, you idiot!)
Errands run in Salem, NH.
Entire weekend’s dinners planned while driving home.

Shaved steak cheesesteak with sautéed mushrooms and thyme, a schmear of roasted garlic and shaved Manchego cheese on a sesame seed hamburger roll (because I had them and finding a package of just 4 rolls, hoagie or otherwise, OR individual rolls is nigh on impossible).

LW crinkle cut fries in the convection oven, and a quick broccoli cashew salad with minced red onion, chopped cashews, bacon crumbles, and dried cranberries subbing for the raisins.

Wine.

16 Likes

I haven’t been taking pix, so I decided to post this less than photogenic one. We had zucchini fritters, oven fried chicken thanks very much to @gcaggiano for the method, and a tomato/nectarine/blue cheese salad. If I’d had an herb for the salad, or the zukes had been more vibrant in their color, it would have been prettier. Alas, it was very tasty, and the chicken had a surprising amount of crunch for oven-“fried.” I added a generous amount of z’atar. I wasn’t really familiar with this flavor, and didn’t want to overwhelm the chicken. But it was quite subtle. Anyway - quite tasty. Happy labor day everyone.

ps this is the after pic

15 Likes

I suppose you could make it for yourself when he’s out and about. I was surprised how much I liked the combination of chorizo and mushroom. But I bet that if you swapped out another type of veggie, the method would hold. It’s solid.

1 Like

Street tacos. Chorizo, poblano pepper, onion, lime crema, cotija cheese, radish, olive and cilantro. Doctored pinto beans. Tequila was consumed.

16 Likes

Mom cooked tonight: chicken cutlet, asparagus, mushrooms, and Provolone over mashed potatoes with Dijon and carmelized onion. To die for.

I know the other day I said I hadn’t eaten a fried chicken cutlet in 3-4 months. Well, this kicks that. I love my baked chicken cutlet creations but nothing beats fried.

To drink: mom and I had “French Martinis”, which easily translate into an Elderflower Gimlet. BF had White Claw.

21 Likes

We enjoyed another excellent dinner at Bistro D’Azur in South Orange, NJ. We enjoyed jambon and fresh fig salad; lobster crepe; dorade and venison. It all went great with a couple of excellent wines.

13 Likes

Well, we are also fortunate to have our health, the most important … And yes, you are correct.

1 Like

Is the zucchini fritters with potato or just zucchini with some parmesan cheese and panko? I have lots of Cucuzza ( Italian zucchini) and would like to make some writers. Typically I would just slice them in one inch round and pan fry them with or without panko and or parmesan cheese. Thanks

Empordà Mediterranean Seaviews.

6 Likes

Rock that Bombay Gimlet! (straight up!!!)

8 Likes

Sunday evening at home. Freshly caught wild clams and a sea bass.

14 Likes
7 Likes

Realized yesterday I hadn’t made my required summertime meal…my Dad’s satay. Usually done on the grill; I’ve been relegated to an inside grill pan these past 10 years. I made it work.

Sauteed sugar snap peas stood in for the usual rounds of zucchini, since I forgot to pick them up yesterday. Otherwise, skewers of onions, red and orange bell peppers, and mushrooms were the veggies, and chicken skewers were drizzled and grilled with Dad’s non-authentic-but-it-works-for-me satay sauce.

Served on Basmati rice with extra sauce drizzled over all. Wine on the side.

19 Likes

That’s a beautiful oasis!

3 Likes

I made our take on Ina’s tomato pasta again. Impromptu outdoor potluck with our neighbors, who grilled up andouillie sausages and made a green salad.

18 Likes

Last time I was at the liquor store I bought two small bottles of St. Germain because they were on sale and I remembered reading a lot of cocktail recipes using them. They’ve sat there unused, staring at me, because I couldn’t remember what I bought them for. Thank you @gcaggiano. Aperitif, a French Gimlet. Bombay and fresh lime juice. (Because of a youthful indiscretion I can’t abide Rose’s lime.)

Dinner was grilled apple-wood smoked bacon wrapped beef filet, cotc and a sunsugar, snap pea, shallot salad with ranch dressing and dill. And wine.

21 Likes

Thank you :blush: