What's for Dinner #73 - School's Back In! Edition - September 2021

Just called Central Milling Company
They do not sell to Costco
they do carry a 00 flour by Tony Gemingnani . it come sin 5 lbs and 50 lbs sold thru their internets store plus S/H. CS says their 5 lbs are $7.99plus S/H.
Costco does sell a 00 flour but comes in 50 lbs made by Polselli and only sell it thru their business .com
We do not have instacart delivery to our zip code.
Googling, Tipo pizza flour comes as 0 and 00.
The Anna Napoletena Tipo 00 from amazon is just a few pennies more than the Polselli tipo 00 so my son does not want to change as he is satisfied with Napolitana’s versatility,easy roll, very thin and crispy piazza.
Thanks for the tip.

Yes, Espinacas and garbanzo.
A favorite

Well, I’m not quite sure what you mean when you say they don’t sell to Costco. Perhaps not to your local one. But they certainly do to mine, since this is where I buy it.

Wow! She is your mom and you have grandchildren? Are all of your generations only 15 years apart? She doesn’t look older than her upper 60s.

Upper 60’s, you need to redo your math. That would make everyone in twenties.

I googled Costco. com, did not see the item
So, I called Central Mlling Company
I no longer shop persoanally at Costco nor anywhere as I seldom drive except for my monthly allergy shots and weekly aquatic treadmill for Luna, my Pomeranian but those drive tires me immensely.
I give my son a shopping list every week for Costco and Asian store if he can
He goes to Va once a week , and when he can, he swings by to Pentagon Costco.
It is one of the best Costco warehouse in the DC metropolitan suburbs.
There is a warehouse at Central Avenue in Md, another Costco at college park but they are nowhere near what Pentagon City Costco carries. The parking though is horrible.
Example, maple Half Duck, 3 year old aged cheese, Balsamic cheese and wine are only carried at Pentagon City.

That was what Central Milling told me. If we find it at Pentagon Cit , tipo OO, cheaper and is 5 or 10 lbs, of course, we will buy it from Pentagon City I will ask him to search for it. He dashes in and out as usual as he often gets there late before closing.
Thanks,

Mrs. P made her famous pan seared boneless quail breast salad with grilled figs, toasted pine nuts, roasted mini and shishito peppers, blue cheese, arugula, sautéed red onions, and various sliced fruit among other ingredients. It was topped with reduced balsamic syrup. She also made roasted figs with blue cheese and toasted pine nuts and reduced balsamic syrup. It all went great with an excellent Malbec. It was a beautiful evening for al fresco dining on the deck.

14 Likes

Pasta alla Norma & friends. I couldn’t get it together to make anything but repurposed leftovers today, so I sauteed some squash, shiitakes and broccoli and threw in the eggplant/tomato sauce I’d made a while back. Over homemade tagliatelle (also made a while back & froze). Easy, fast, not too shabby, neither. With balcony parsley and grated ricotta salata.

IMG_9595

12 Likes

Eating solo tonight. Just a burger and oven fries. A bit of avocado and mini tomato’s under and on top of the burger

18 Likes

14 Likes

The last Salade Niçoise of the summer.

Dessert, roasted Desert King figs, vanilla ice cream, pistachios and a drizzle of honey.

17 Likes

Nice

1 Like

Costco stocks different things in different parts of the country - it’s possible that they meant they do not supply to the stores near you.

3 Likes

And… what did you think of the mapo beans?

(As a lifelong bean eater, I think some of the ideas that recipe developers come up with are just not for me…)

1 Like

I made it for daughter who loves mapo tofu. It was nice to make something three of us would eat. I enjoyed it more than the tofu version. Husband said he was hoping for something more like larb.

2 Likes

Ethiopian made at home for me tonight.

My favorite Alicha / Alecha made with chicken, and last-minute faux injera in the form of indian millet crepes that I speed-fermented with yeast and a bit of yogurt. They could have used more time, but were remarkably decent for being so last minute. I also made some rice, which is so good with this sauce.

While the chicken was cooking and batter fermenting, I made and ate fattoush again - fennel, tomatoes, parsley, pickled red onions, scallions, and a lovely minty dressing plus pomegranate molasses.

Quick pause on protein serving sizes. I have heritage chicken at the moment, so the thighs are “normal” - meaning small by US standards. 4 to a 1lb pack, I usually cook 2 at a time, and so once cooked (these are bone-in) it’s probably 5-6oz of meat. BUT. for some reason, I try to eat only one… I think maybe I’m preoccupied somewhere with this being half a pound of a chicken. It’s ok if I’m eating carbs and there are several other things to eat. But if I was just eating chicken and roasted veg, I think I’d still be hungry even after eating 2…

What do folks here think of as a dinner portion of chicken, fish, beef, pork?

17 Likes

My mom is 75 …
She looks great for her age.

4 Likes

Exemplary …

Have a lovely weekend.

1 Like

My mom is 75 years old.
She was married at the age of 18.

I am going to be 55 in December.
I was married when I was 18 also due to pregnancy.

My twin sons are in their twenties.
And each one has a little boy - school age.

So, have a nice weekend !

Off to retail therapy and farmer´s market.

3 Likes

A hamburger and bagged kettle chips were all I could muster up last night. Unfortunately mine wasn’t as good as yours. :disappointed:

13 Likes