What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

Looks pretty great - thanks!

1 Like

Jalea (fried shrimp, calamari, catfish) last night and mixed grill tonight. With a little shot/beer back in between. Good weekend.

14 Likes

Three’s a charm with shrimp dishes lately. Dare I say too much garlic in this one. Looking forward to next time I cook this dish…

10 Likes

Flat iron steak, tomato and avocado salad, and yellow rice. Tuesday has become steak night since I’m out of work early enough to hit the Italian market across the street and I spare myself from having to enter our new Shop Rite and it’s hellacious parking situation.

I was at the liquor store earlier and noticed a large sign for Khor Vodka and saying something to the effect of “3rd most popular Vodka in the world”. But at $18.99 a handle I was skeptical. I nabbed one of those tiny 100 ML bottles for $2 to taste test. And thankfully so because it was awful! Jet fuel! I wanted it on the rocks but needed to add vermouth and some cocktail onions to cut the taste. Had a second drink with Stoli to remind myself what vodka really is! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

11 Likes

My usual is Vodka Soda cold, no ice tall. But for some reason Vodka Martinis are a big no for me. Now gin on the other hand…dangerous.

Mrs. P made her famous pan seared boneless quail breast salad. Details and pictures in the main WFD thread below.

1 Like

Iberico Abanico, NZ GF Ribeye, potatoes, tomatoes, baby kale, mushrooms, scallions, jalapenos. Good eating.

9 Likes

Tried my hand at making a Porchetta. Feel good about look and taste but I lost the
Crispiness, crunch of a good Porchetta.

Any thoughts? Help?

15 Likes

@seal ??

1 Like

That looks great. My only suggestion, which you may have done, is to score the skin with a very sharp thin knife or a razor blade to expose more of the fat layer beneath.

3 Likes

I punctured it with a fork. Dried with paper towel then salted and brushed white vinegar on it.
Heated 325 around 120 min then low broil 5 min a side. Skin had more of a chew then a crunch

2 Likes

The only method I’ve had any success with for crispy skin is to crisp it after it is cooked in a 500 degree or hotter oven for a few minutes.

3 Likes

Basically what I do is:

Slice the pork crosswise as you have done, and press with your hands to flatten. Rub the pork with fennel, coriander and crushed peppercorns and then drizzle with 1 / 4 cup of Extra virgin olive oil from Italia. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate for 2 hours, turning one time.

Preheat your oven or broiler or grill and season the pork with salt and freshly ground peppercorns and heat the remaining Evoo and an 82% fat butter (I use French butter or Asturian, Spanish butter and coat the pork with the heated mixture … And continue to grill or roast or broil.

This shall provide the crispiness.

3 Likes

Looks real tasty. I too have wanted to get a nice crispy skin on some dishes but have had mixed results. This Pork Shank recipe has me wanting to experiment. It looks delicious. The skin is crispy as a result of many incisions into the skin with knife or pin, then finished with the high heat. Maybe the method would work here.

3 Likes

Mrs. P made whole red snapper that we bought at H Mart. Below is a link to the pictures and details in the main WFD thread.

3 Likes

@Oldandtired

Here are 2 photographs of my roast pork tenderloin from Christmas 2020 …

11 Likes

Where can I get this in NJ south of the Driscoll Bridge and north of 195 and east of the Turnpike?

1 Like

That second photo makes me want to jump in and take a gravy shower. Will definitely try this one… Have skewers just need some shanks. Hopefully someday soon.

2 Likes

That is a nice crisp without being burned. Nicely done.

3 Likes

Still grilling. Garlic and Yogurt marinated Lamb Chops with Iberico St Louis Ribs.

15 Likes