What's For Dinner #72 - Wait, Summer Is Almost Over? Edition - August 2021

linda whit, are you a doctor? you may know my husband.

I’m willing to try it. People will recommend the same method with eggplant too.

Not the prettiest plate but super tasty. Filets of sole with a very lemony lemon butter sauce with capers, and gorgeous tricolor beans I got at the farmers market this morning (sad how the purple ones turn green when you cook them) topped with some extremely ripe cherry tomatoes I sautéed forever on low heat with EVOO and sweet onions till it all got sticky and jammy.

19 Likes

Nope. Math and science were my nemesis classes in high school. Wasn’t going to have anything to do with them for my adulting. :rofl:

3 Likes

Morning dentist appt. was quick and easy. :white_check_mark:

The Petco visit was postponed because I’m not going to try and wrestle 90 lbs. of cat litter into the car in the pouring rain. :x:

(And yes, the eat, sleep, pee & poop machines easily go through that faster than you’d think. Thank goodness for the 30 lb. refillable buckets from Petco.)

Midday relaxation while reading. :white_check_mark:
No checking work emails. :white_check_mark::white_check_mark:

Easy-peasy “check-in” for an afternoon health appt. :white_check_mark:
Being seen on time. :white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark:

Quick in-and-out at the nearby Wegmans due to it being a late Thursday afternoon. :white_check_mark:
Finding quicker back roads vs. the crowded Route 3 North afternoon traffic. :white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark:

Dinner already planned. :white_check_mark:
Beef Stroganoff easy to make. :white_check_mark:
Dinner being tasty. :white_check_mark::white_check_mark:
Wine being good. :white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark:

Having tomorrow off as well, with beautiful weather expected? :white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark:

20 Likes

First night of the NFL pre-season so I wanted to do a little football worthy grilling. Apple-wood bacon topped pork loin, small London broil and baby back ribs.

Did a dry rub on the ribs and simple coarse salt and pepper on the steak. The pork tenderloin was pre-marinade so straight on the grill for it. Quick sear then low and slow with some cedar chips in the smoker. Unfortunately I got a later start than desired so total cooking time was only two hours but it still came out very tasty.

It was very smoky so I had to break out the stoli Elit to keep myself hydrated. Perhaps a cigar during the game.

Corn on the cob as a side. Commencing with the meat sweats!!!

Let’s goooooooo Pittsburgh!!!

glistening

Smokin!!!

Where’s the tomalives?? (@gcaggiano cheers kiddo!!)

Success!! (steak was least favorite)

18 Likes

Thank you. We are big leftover fans. Sometimes we’ll re-eat the exact meal but often I’ll make something with planned leftovers in mind.

I’d love to cook with you!

5 Likes

Thank you!!

1 Like

A man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do to survive this cruel world.

2 Likes

thanks for your response. my husband did his residency with a woman of the same name

1 Like

just just about like a perfect day! enjoy your long weekend!

1 Like

Well, hot dog bun week continued - turns out I’m craving hot dogs pretty hard, and I just wanted… hot dogs!

Sides - leftover faux-solakia (broccoli slaw cooked in the style of Greek/Turkish stewed green beans) and fennel salad (to stop myself from eating a THIRD hot dog).

14 Likes

BF made carbonara tonight - once again thwarting my plans to make that corn and pasta dish i’ve been dying to make. But i couldn’t complain, and it was DELICIOUS. alongside was a great salad with some of the leftover beets that i roasted today and the creamy sheep/goat’s milk marinated cheese i love so much. AND garlic toast.

leaving tomorrow for a long weekend - big ugly birthday for me, and a friend’s not-as-ugly bday too - with a bunch of dear friends - some i haven’t seen in at least 2 years! - to Stinson Beach. Food and booze have been worked out, and that’s pretty much all we need. Mostly a Spanish theme, as we all love it. Can’t wait.

22 Likes

Have a fabulous birthday weekend!!!

4 Likes

Dinner ordinaire, grilled blsl chicken thighs, cotc with tpstob and a cuke, tomato, onion salad with balsamic v&oo dressing, basil chiffonade. Cuke courtesy of Gwyndolin.

Meet Gwyndolin.

Stop the presses and sound the trumpets, I have made the perfect pie crust. Et voila a plum galette was born. Thank you NYT Cooking and Milissa Clark.

21 Likes

How is the Stoli Elit? Worth it? I was going to buy a bottle with my first paycheck from the new job but passed because it was rather pricey.

thank you!

1 Like

Gwyndolin is so perky!

that DOES look like the perfect crust! lovely!

3 Likes

It’s certainly smoother than regular Stoli but as you know I like a little bite. So Elit doesn’t have that so from that aspect many prefer it, worth the price? Probably not. lol

1 Like

Dinner out tonight at a pub and pizzeria called Strawberry’s. You can read my full review on the NJ board.

We shared truffle fries and Buffalo calamari. The pizza was featured on Barrstool Sports, and mom had one with half eggplant and half mushroom. BF had a cheesesteak and I had penne with vodka sauce, grilled chicken, eggplant, prosciutto, and fresh mozzarella. My review might be worth a read!

12 Likes