What's For Dinner #72 - Wait, Summer Is Almost Over? Edition - August 2021

Try cutting lengthwise after peeling the skin . Then scooping out the seeds with a small spoon. Chop into half moons and adding a tiny bit of salt and refrigerate for a hour . Maybe a pinch of sugar also .

2 Likes

Agree totally …

Stoli or Grey Goose were my go-tos back in the day, but I literally only drank Tanqueray for gin for a good five or six years before I started branching out.

2 Likes

I think I used his recipe last year, it was so good!

1 Like

Nice! Corn is just starting to show up here. Would you share your corn recipe, pls?

Belvedere is my favorite vodka but for gin it’s Tanqueray Rangpur while a bit bold is my preference for an afternoon on the deck or patio. However I also like Hendricks and a locally distilled gin.

Hmmmm… I sense a fajitas and G&T weekend this way comes!

4 Likes

We went to a new to us Middle Eastern restaurant last weekend (Baladina in Toms River, very good). We had some leftover couscous so I pulled out some lamb neck bones from the freezer to make a tagine-ish stew to serve atop. The lamb simmered in a mix of ras el-hanout, garlic, onions, ginger, tomatoes, preserved lemons, and olives. I threw in a sweet potato toward the end so it didn’t get too soft. Grilled summer squash served on the side.

15 Likes

When you remix leftovers, you do it in style! If you cook, I will do all the prep and all the cleanup you want.

4 Likes

ooh, not a fan of the Rangpur - to me almost anything lime/lemon flavored tastes like furniture polish. i am, however a fun of the Sevilla Orange Tanqueray. But the count of gins i’m a fan of are endless and ever growing.

2 Likes

stunning! and sounds delicious.

1 Like

I added radish for a little extra crunch.

7 Likes

I like the idea of adding radishes!

1 Like

Thanks so much!

That’s pretty much what I do except for the radish…which I will add.

I roast the :corn: on some mesh wire over the flame (if I’m not using the grill). I prefer it more than roasting in a pan.

1 Like

Rangpur is a bit over the top…agree. I even add more lime. I’ve not heard of Sevilla Orange Tanqueray. How do you mix it? Or maybe you don’t?

1 Like

So, I did everything you said except the part about a little salt and sugar and let it sit. I know salt draws out the moisture. Do you think the bitter is in the liquid, and the salt and sitting would draw it out, and then could be rinsed off? I am certainly willing to try, rather than enduring another entire year of bitter cukes. I’ve read that once you get one bitter cuke off a plant, all that follow will also be bitter.

1 Like

I mix it with a white vermouth, sweet-ish, like Atxe Vino Vermouth, or Vittore, or even a Lillet Blanc. something a bit floral. shaken over ice, strained, like a martini. I think the Sevilla is a rather new product for Tanqueray. i love it!!

1 Like

I’ve encountered that problem with gins too, namely Malfy. It is distilled with lemons from the Amalfi coast. Admittedly, I bought it for the glasses that came with it in a set (and the bottle has a great design), but I was hoping it would be at least decent. Nope, straight up furniture polish. Too overpowering even for a gin and tonic, and too conflicting for an actual martini. Since it lacks botanicals that other gins use (literally, this could be lemon vodka), I’ve always told myself I’ll make a lemon drop martini with it or something to that effect, but the desire is just not there.

2 Likes

Wonder if you could turn it into limoncello (of course the name would be different) - if it’s just sitting there unused…

ETA: That would be an easy path to endless lemon drops :wink:

4 Likes

I’m kind of guessing here

Arrived just in time for lunch in the Madrid Capital …
freixadessert127202215_206912067662284_3718362840011839401_n

A lobster amuse boûche and a chocolate wafer sweet tooth pleasure. Hotel Único - Madrid Capital.

5 Likes