What's For Dinner #72 - Wait, Summer Is Almost Over? Edition - August 2021

WHOA @naf !

Those look AMAZING!!!

(Also - what’s your dough recipe? )

Sorry to hear. Hope you are feeling better and that the family health stuff is in the mend.

6 Likes

Had to clean out the fridge a bit…'shrooms were about to go, and asparagus needed using up.

So garganelli pasta was cooked while sliced mushrooms were sauteed in butter and olive oil with a healthy schprinkle of dried thyme and salt and freshly ground pepper, then asparagus stems added with some white wine to simmer and reduce. Asparagus tips added at end, with a bit of heavy cream and grated Parm-Reg.

Garganelli added to sauce, tossed to coat, and served with another schprinkling of Parm-Reg.

Not bad for a Tuesday.

22 Likes

I made chicken curry in a light yogurt sauce from Archana Mundhe’s The Essential Indian Instant Pot. It was one of the best curries I’ve ever made and very low effort. I subbed b/s chicken thighs for the legs. Served with brown rice and a Chaat masala slaw with cabbage, unripe mango, yellow bell pepper, and carrot (combining ideas from two recipes from Meera Sodha).

The yogurt is tempered and added to the curry, not used in the rice.

20 Likes

Found these very thinly cut, beautifully marbled, korean-style short ribs nearby, so I marinated them most of the day in gochugaru, garlic, pickled ginger, soy, hot honey, brown sugar, and mirin for a spin on Galbi. Rice and a very mince-y slaw - red & green cabbage, cilantro & mint in the food processor, then blended with more pickled ginger, Thai chili sauce and a little mayo.

19 Likes

Sandwich night: Grilled zucchini, roasted red peppers, provolone, and Trader Joe’s balsamic glaze.

There was a Stoli on the rocks.

18 Likes

We cleaned the garage today, so went with a quick dinner.

Made a couple blue cheese and chorizo dates for a quick appy.

Then a King crab leg each for dinner, with a doctored up bag salad and some frozen onion and cauliflower rings cooked in the air fryer.

Whisky for him, wine spritzer for me.

20 Likes

Yesterday’s accident turns into a tasty meal tonight. As promised, nicoise salad and a homemade sourdough.

20 Likes

Hot dog bun week is ON!

(I’m blaming @ChristinaM though she really bears no blame other than that she posted a pic of a hot dog - which then made me crave all kinds of things that could be served on those buns, starting with… hot dogs :joy:)

So. tonight, I had a hot dog… AND a shrimp roll. Could have done one or the other, but a mindworm is a mindworm. (And yes, that’s ketchup.)

Hot dog was pretty darn delicious! TJ’s organic grass fed beef dog (because apparently they don’t make an organic chicken or turkey version anymore? Or are always sold out of it at my store?). Of course, 6 to a pack, and 8 buns. What’s behind this conspiracy?

Shrimp roll because I saw it somewhere yesterday. Frozen Patagonian / Argentinian red shrimp, poached very gently - in the microwave :scream:. Actually perfectly done - just had to use very low power. Some finely minced fennel and onion, mayo (a bit extra for me, but oh well), seasonings, squeeze of lemon to perk up the lot.

Buns griddled with some of that plentiful-at-the-moment brown butter.

And a shaved fennel salad because the fennel is gorgeous and I haven’t eaten a salad in a while.

Coming soon to bun week: more hot dogs, lobster (and maybe another shrimp) roll, pav bhaji (oh yeah, this is going to go cross-cultural), and maybe even a bulgogi sloppy joe. Sky’s the limit… well, the packet of buns is, I’m not buying another one :rofl:

Open to other obvious ideas I may have blanked on!

15 Likes

Dak kalguksu - Korean chicken noodle soup with knife cut noodles, using Maangchi’s recipe, which came out pretty well. Used chicken thigh instead of chicken breast.

21 Likes

Great job on the noodles!

3 Likes

Last night we had baked “custard-style” mac and cheese. Ate it with 50% WW sourdough made earlier. Oh, the carb shame.

(How to reduce image size on a mobile device? )

19 Likes

Composed salads! Yours look fantastic. I need to get myself in gear to start making some with our summer produce.

1 Like

Yuuuuum!

Atta boy !!! (man but it sounds better the other way. lol)

2 Likes

Thanks.

Here, it’s mostly cloudy. Last week, we tried to finish cooking the pizzas before the announced rain, the sky poured half an hour earlier than the forecast, very difficult to cook under the rain, someone tried to hold 2 umbrellas high up, water entered in the oven and created more smoke than usual. A mess.

2 Likes

Thanks! Things are getting better now.

I asked h, his Neapolitan pizza dough is 65% hydration rate. 800g flour (Caputo Manitoba Oro), 520g water (room temperature), 14g salt, 1g fresh yeast. Toss the yeast in a small bowl with some of the water. Mix all the ingredients into a mass in a large bowl, starting by adding the yeast water first and by steps the remaining water with a spatula.

Work with the dough with hands until the dough isn’t sticking, cover the dough with an upside down bowl on a floured working surface and wait for 15 minutes, fold a few more times. Let the dough rest 1 hour under the upside down bowl before dividing the dough into 4 equal parts in plastic covered box for proving. You need at least 24 hours up to 3 days to prove.

Before using them, try to get rid slightly the gas in the dough and let them return to room temperature 3 hours before cooking.

7 Likes

@Mr_Happy I agree, very regular.

1 Like

Slightly smoked veal tartare, with walnut and pesto. Made this a few times already, and this time I topped with oyster leaves. These Mertensia Maritima really tastes like oysters. I’m glad that this year, they are growing quite well.

17 Likes

I sometimes make custard style Mac & Cheese by accident. :frowning:

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like