What's For Dinner #99 - the Orange is the New Black Edition -October 2023

Hey @Amandarama - hope everything went smoothly, and wish you good recovery (and nourishing eats too courtesy BF)!

8 Likes

Last night I made shrimp rolls with frozen beer-battered shrimp on butter-toasted brioche buns. Buttered steamed broccoli and homemade cole slaw alongside. Not bad for what it was. An extra fish fillet in case.

22 Likes

I’ve had lobster rolls / shrimp rolls on my mind, but am stressed out by the thought of having to use up all the remaining hot dog buns :woman_facepalming:t2:

Those brioche buns are great, aren’t they? Do those shrimpers come breaded tail on or off? I’m looking at trying something different in breaded shrimp options.

Bread pudding.

Don’t eat it

ETA: I’ve been here before (and thanks to @ChristinaM that time too :joy:)

:astonished: :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: :exploding_head:

I don’t have it too often, but I really like it. Also stratas.

They are tail on, but the tails are tiny. I cut the tails off my husband’s but did didn’t bother with mine. The things we do for love. And it was 8:30 p.m.

5 Likes

You’re funny :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

We tend to have them in the house a lot, because kid, and they do often go stale or mold.

1 Like

Try it sliced and fried with tomato salad and fresh mozz on top.:exploding_head:

Oh my, and a little bit of keratin for our health!

What a blessing to open this today and see all your well wishes. This community is amazing! It’s been a hard employment year for folks, so I don’t want to strum my little violin too loudly. It was hard for sure though. My company laid off 2400 people in one morning, via email. I’d been there 11+ yrs. Sometimes things last a long time, you start to believe they’re stable. H is currently also out of work, so we are leaning on savings etc. And we both have some health things rn. And of course, the broken fridge, as you know! But I’ve had my little sit in a corner and lick my wounds moment. Now I hope to start doing the pleasurable things again!

20 Likes

Good lord. I’ve been cut back to more part-time than usual, myself, but I count myself among the luckier ones. One place I work laid off 30% of its part-time workforce. Thanks, COVID!

I hope things improve for you soon.

4 Likes

1 Like

It was 11% of the workforce. Due to new CEO flexing his muscle.

3 Likes

Oof.

1 Like

When harvesting potatoes, the fork or shovel used to dig them out of the ground sometimes gouges or splits the potatoes.

If the potatoes are punctured, mold will set in within a day or 2.

I store the potatoes that haven’t been punctured on racks in a cold room or root cellar.

The potatoes that have been damaged get peeled and cooked within a day of me harvesting them.

Once they’re peeled, the raw potatoes can be kept covered in water (immersed) in the fridge for a few days, to prevent them from turning darker.

The roasted potatoes with tomato yesterday, which had been peeled then immersed in water in the fridge for 24 h, had a hard, white edge, and soft interior. It seems potatoes kept in water overnight are better for boiling, braising, home fries or mashing, than for roasting. I haven’t had that white hard edge happen before.

6 Likes

So sorry to hear about the job loss, Sasha. That is very hard to get over. However, you are doing the right thing in moving forward. Hope you find a new job soon.

4 Likes

Oh. I thought it was a recipe :joy:

2 Likes

I channeled fall with a Delicata squash lasagna with pumpkin and Parm Regg Mornay sauce, mozz, Pecorino, and a little cottage cheese. Used warm spices plus thyme, bay, and sage in the sauce. Big hit with the kiddo who recently discovered he loves Delicata and has always liked pumpkin. My little PSL kid :wink: (j/k, he needs zero coffee).

There was also garlicky wilted spinach on the side after the photo.

32 Likes