What's For Dinner #72 - Wait, Summer Is Almost Over? Edition - August 2021

Very inspiring

2 Likes

Salads are so nice is warm weather. We have a garden (although my thumb is 1/2 between black and green!) and a wonderful garden store nearby with the selling shack right off the fields where they grow everything. So, given our pretty short grow and harvest season, I try to do it up when stuff is available.

3 Likes

My dear and I, my parents and my in-laws are all headed on the AVE High Speed Rail for the Madrid Capital tomorrow morning … Here is a quick bite we are all having down the street & in my kitchen too …

11 Likes

A few years back, I had a tripe dish at A16 that I really enjoyed.

Fast forward to this week, I replicated the dish as best as I could, simmering tripe I had already softened, in a tomato-pancetta-white wine sauce and finished with pecorino. It’s a bit like an amatriciana… but swap out the pasta with tripe!

19 Likes

We call this “Callos” (tripe) (pronounced Kai - os) in Barcelona.

Cool dish …

1 Like

drool… and i always forget i used to like Stoli on the rocks. i haven’t enjoyed vodka in years. i’ll have to try it again sometime, preferably with raw oysters.

1 Like

gorgeous crumb on that bread!

so intriguing!

2 Likes

Trying to clean out the fridge before we head south in a few days.

A premade pizza dough from the freezer made into a BLT pizza with vegan bacon. The tomatoes are from a friend’s garden, and the cheese from a local creamery.
Also used local roasted garlic mixed in with the mayo for the base.

Grabbed a plain naan from the freezer to use up some rose sauce, roasted broccoli and the last of the vegan chorizo.

Felt pretty good about pulling all that stuff out to use, but now putting leftover back in the in the fridge :slightly_frowning_face:

14 Likes

I have never met a cheese that wasn’t improved by several hours at room temperature.

8 Likes

Another small plate supper: Half a baked potato + sauteed ham fingers + asparagus + Hollandaise.

16 Likes

Thank you! I finally got some nice height too. It’s been coming out kind of short until this one.

1 Like

I’m usually a gin guy, but lately it’s been vodka. I usually alternate between Tito’s and Stoli (there’s also a bottle of the very much acquired-taste Chopin on my bar). Tito’s is great, but as @NotJrvedivici would say, it lacks that little bite that Stoli has that let’s you know you’re still drinking vodka. It is my go-to at this point.

Before Bob’s influence, I was one of those “vodka is vodka” guys, and usually ended up slumming it with cheap brands like Popov, or “splurging” on Sobieski or Svedka. Can’t explain the logic, because I always shelled out good money for gin. But hey, at least Popov beat Grey Goose in a blind tasting!

3 Likes

BF made his baked chicken with a delectable honey garlic sauce. Side of Jasmine rice and roasted broccolini-- I actually enjoyed this better roasted than grilled/sautéed. The roasting was out of necessity since the stalks were so thick.

Funny story: he started making the sauce and says to me, “So, we’re out of garlic?” and I immediately freaked out saying “No way! Impossible! It’s in there!” (there were probably several expletives used). Sure enough, a tragedy! We ran out of garlic!!! I need a congressional commission to investigate how this happened. :weary:

Since I am off tomorrow, there were two Stoli martinis!

21 Likes

Pan bagnat (bathed bread) sandwich following a recipe from Chef John. Tomato, red onion, canned tuna, garlic olive oil, basil, olives, hard boiled egg, capers, anchovies, white wine vinegar. Added some steamed asparagus and red peppers from a jar. Came out pretty well but the bread was a little too bathed, probably should have used a crustier and/or more stale roll. Also some potato chips.

18 Likes

Another hot dog cravers. Grilled Hatch chile sausage (my Freddy/Kroger is having a Hatch chile week, fresh chiles, corn bread, burger partties, cheese, dip, pico and sausages) on a toasted La Brea French sandwich roll, with onion and Dejon mustards. Kettle Backyard BBQ chips and Esquites. My favorite corn people were at the farmers market today with fresh picked. I stocked up.

17 Likes

Today’s hot dog bun application: Kheema-Pao.

This is actually a breakfast dish - a very indulgent one at that :joy: I only ever eat it for lunch or dinner, though.

I roasted the rest of the frozen okra for veg, and some mixed dal because I had soaked it yesterday (red masoor and green split moong) - tempered simply with garlic, cumin, and asafoetida.

Was thinking I’d stuff the bun with the kheema, but I wanted to dip it in the dal too, so instead left it on the side.

The okra was the real winner here - as crunchy as fried.

I say that because the kheema was a dud - I really dislike ground chicken, no matter how much I try… had to get it because there was no ground turkey, and I didn’t want beef.

14 Likes

Ok. It’s not the prettiest picture, but it was falafel night over here. Made from Joan Nathan’s recipe, which I think is the best one. In pitas, and accompaniments included hummus, garlic sauce, feta. All from TJs. Tomatoes, cukes from our garden, and quick pickled onions, beets and turnips that I grew.

15 Likes

So good to see someone else deseeds their cukes. It annoys everyone when I do that.

2 Likes

Really? They’re watery otherwise. I’m mad at my cukes though. They’ve been pretty evenly watered and these first 2 I got (from 2 diff plants) were both bitter. Super annoying. I thought that the bitterness arose from uneven watering. And that whole thing where you cut off the tip and then rub it against the rest to draw out the bitter liquids is bunk IMO.

3 Likes