What's For Dinner #72 - Wait, Summer Is Almost Over? Edition - August 2021

Well, that’s just freaking brilliant! How long did it take to get to that dark brown color?

2 Likes

I’d say that’s a very happy blunder! The salad looks amazing - perfect on the ingredients, despite being more than you had planned.

1 Like

Same - plus the freezer works better when it’s 3/4 full. :wink: And I just have an Excel spreadsheet to track everything that goes in the downstairs chest freezer, the downstairs apt. sized fridge’s freezer, and a smaller list for my upstairs freezer. Which reminds me - it has so many crossouts that it’s time I updated the list.

4 Likes

Summer produce - it’s so photogenic we barely have to work at all to make a beautiful looking dish!

4 Likes

Steak tonight.

Half a ribeye (d’Artagnan from the freezer), roasted cauliflower, and potato gratin.

The cauliflower had a bit of a kick today - I used harissa and adjika to dress it.

I think I double SV-ed the steak by mistake. Seared in some of that brown butter I’ve got plenty of at the moment.

17 Likes

Glad to see you back here!

4 Likes

A while - couple of hours on the very lowest burner at low heat.

Ghee (done right) is a slow process - you need all the water to evaporate, foam to subside and disappear, and solids to completely settle - without anything turning caramel or brown. So that was the first part.

Then when I realized the ghee still had that fridge taste, I turned the gas on again, still low but not as low as before, and it took maybe an hour or so for the deep color.

All hands off though - I put a splatter shield on top and left it.

8 Likes

A serving of each, please.

1 Like

Mmm, yum! And a fun equipment purchase.

1 Like

Last night I made a manicotti bake with eggplant and mozz, topped with toasted breadcrumbs. About 10 min to fully prep and shove into the oven to bake while we were on a playdate. Lovely to come home to dinner ready. Then we quickly tossed together a side salad with fruit, nuts, and avocado.

19 Likes

Your pizzas look amazing! Those crusts are the picture of pizza perfection.

4 Likes

Thanks!! Told H your compliments. It’s not easy when h is making pizzas though, he gets very demanding and stresses everybody around him.

8 Likes

Wow ! Félicitations !!! Phenomenal …

1 Like

12 Likes

What is that delicious looking round cheese in your photo? It looks wonderful.

Yeah, electric coil stovetop won’t cut it. I’ll have to wait until I replace my stove/oven with an electric flat top before I could ever consider doing anything like this. But YAY on the quantity you got!

It is an 18 month old Reggiano Parmigiano that was left on table to obtain a softer interior.

Obviously remarkable !!

Have a lovely day …

6 Likes

That oven looks great! And the pizzas look great!
I’ve been waiting to use my outdoor pizza oven again, but it rains, or storms, everyday.

4 Likes

Aha! The cheese looked familiar though not quite and now I can understand why. Thank you for sharing. :grinning:

1 Like

I’ve made it on electric before - just use the smallest burner and lowest setting.

Especially if you want the caramelization / end result of clarified brown butter.

Also - it’s much quicker with just a pound or two of butter. That pot was full almost to the brim (which was daft of me, but I hadn’t realized how much butter it really was).

3 Likes