What's for Dinner #71 - the Vacation Time! Edition - July 2021

Individual Dutch babies dressed with ragu of clams, prawns, onion, tomato, white wine, sorrel, basil…

15 Likes

That looks lovely!

I will admit, I have never understood the appeal (other than visual) of a Dutch baby - but a savory version appeals much more than sweet!

2 Likes

I’m on the southern Oregon coast. I grow mostly in a greenhouse. Ed Hume Gourmet Green Bush Baby Filet in 3 gallon containers, on a bench so I don’t have to stoop to harvest.

2 Likes

Dinner was roasted pork tenderloin with the last of the aji verde, zucchini carrot fritters with a daub of aioli and a salad of cukes, tomatoes, red onion, oo&v dressing and a chiffonade of basil. There was a Jungle Bird or two or, oh who’s counting.

13 Likes

Italian combo sandwich with coppa, salami, prosciutto, romaine lettuce, tomato, red onion, provolone, and vinaigrette on a roll.

15 Likes

Riff on Vivian Howard tomato pie but crustless and like a quiche.

13 Likes

Thank you very much.

It is quite wonderful …

Super.

Truer words have never been spoken. I usually use recipes for inspiration, especially in the current environment. Before, if I was missing an ingredient I’d likely run to the store and pick it up. Now that I’ve gotten used to not shopping as often I still don’t bother. It forces me to be more creative.

5 Likes

I just had deja vu reading your post re: the eggplant bolognese, as well as @pilgrim 's post about Dutch babies, I’ve read both of those posts before - or feel like I have. :slight_smile: Always strange when it happens, but always interesting as well.

1 Like

I’ve used that basic combo on pasta but not on DB or it’s cousin pascade. Am not sure if I’ve posted on a previous savory DB here. I think it’s been a few years since I’ve made one of any persuasion. But they’ll be on my rotation from now on: easy, lighter than pasta, endlessly variable.

3 Likes

The savory Dutch baby person might have been me. I started making them last year. Your post reminds me how versatile they are.

And I didn’t know about pascade, another puffy pancake in the pantheon. Nice.

2 Likes

Simply another favourite of our´s …

7 Likes

Gorgeous cocktail …

1 Like

I don’t remember ever having eggplant bolognese before, so it probably wasn’t me (although I am getting senile in my old age) :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Food for thought @pilgrim and @tomatotomato! Thanks for the link. Epicurious has a recipe for DB for two but after looking at several recipes the variations in egg-flour-milk ratios makes me think they are fairly forgiving.

More food for thought: most recipes will suggest a single large, like 10-12” DB. This is obviously easier to construct but depending on your garnish, a pain to cut and portion out.
Individuals, 6-7”, are obviously easier to serve but require a fleet of pans. I used 2 same diameter but different clay bakers., cutting a recipe for 4 to 2. Worked well.

1 Like

Thanks!! I was thinking going smaller on the pan since it’s just me. Use 2 eggs and have leftover batter for breakfast the next day.

1 Like

Good to see your post ccj, have missed you…

2 Likes

Got a nice piece of local haddock this morning and made a NYT recipe for crispy baked fish - basically spread fish with tartar sauce and add lightly oiled panko and bake. I baked my oiled panko till crispy first and that was a good call. This is a keeper recipe: super easy, quick and tasty. With Turkish-style green beans braised in olive oil, tomato, anchovy and with a squeeze of lemon juice. Would eat the whole thing again tomorrow.

15 Likes