What’s for Dinner #56: The No Place Like Home Edition - April 2020

Thank you and the same to you and your family.

Be wel and all our best wishes …

1 Like

This was an afternoon snack (well, we didn’t eat breakfast or lunch).

I’d say our first attempt at Brie en Croute was a success. We did cheat with premade pastry dough but my BF made a delicious toasted walnut and raspberry filling to go on top of the brie. Meanwhile, I had the momentous task of slicing all the fruit and presentation. Team effort.

For years, I’ve used President Brie, but lately have used Joan of Arc. For the same price, it is so superior in quality. Even the rind is delicious (thinner and more delicate).

Somehow we still plan on eating dinner later.

18 Likes

Love the pairing!

The best laid plans of mice and men…

1 Like

The oooooooze on that cheese is perfection. :::fanning myself::::: Did someone turn up the heat in here? :wink:

4 Likes

Straight from the oven to you! Dutch baby pancake with parmesan, pancetta, and sage. So pleased with this first attempt that I’ll be making this again.

Green salad to go with, not pictured.

14 Likes

Mrs. P made the same delicious dish that she made last week with the remaining black sea bass filet from Local 130 Seafood (pan seared with capers, butter, fresh herbs, and vermouth, with a side of asparagus).

16 Likes

Sheet pan dinner. Red onion, fennel, leeks and red peppers tossed in some leftover merguez drippings. After 25 mins in the oven, I tossed sliced kielbasa on top and gave it another 20 mins plus a few under the broiler. Served with ricotta and pesto. Simple and delicious.

16 Likes

Avocado, "tajin’, Salvadorian crema, cilantro

Pappardelle, ragu Bolognese from Mississippi roast

15 Likes

omg i’m the opposite. my parents would fry steaks and cut the fat off and leave it in the pan, and i’d go into the kitchen after dinner and eat just the big hunks of fried fat. omg so good.

6 Likes

Salade Lyonnaise, but using what we had: Duck pastrami instead of lardons, last of the radishes, last of the romaine instead of frisee, shallots, and i like to make fried taters in place of croutons. Poached eggs. Dijon vinaigrette. SALAD - fatty, carby, and delicious!

and Ottolenghi’s carrots. So good.

18 Likes

I was feeling very snacky long before dinner, so I made a plate of “sev puri” (a type of chaat). I did share - challenge is to not make another plate, and then another… so I portioned it out and walked away!

I had a chat date with some friends after that, so I ate dinner after everyone else. Coconut curry vegetables, including a couple of types of mushrooms.

15 Likes

oh my goodness that sounds good!

i would like to crawl inside that and eat my way out, please.

2 Likes

Yeah! I love this idea. Is there a recipe you follow?

I made a sort of hybrid jambalaya and dirty rice. Grass-fed ground beef, turkey kielbasa, “jambalaya mixed vegetables”. Quite quick and turned out well.

14 Likes

absolutely disagree and support Linda - and anyone else - 100% to tell us about her/their shitty day.

9 Likes

(confesses to goldfish in quarantine)

We’re all having shitty days, and hopefully, like I am, these posts help, even if I’m not posting my shittily plated (tbh, barely plated) dinners… I’m just glad that even by sharing these times we can make it even a bit better for the rest of us.

7 Likes

Shrimp Stir Fry with reconstituted Porcino mushrooms and unsalted Pistacios…

13 Likes

completely agree. Linda’s posts are at the core of what makes this community great.

More generally, part of why I love this community is it is not simply about the food that we are eating/cooking. it is also about what the food means to us and the role it plays in our lives. a person’s reaction to their day and how that impacts their cooking decisions or food choices is actually something that is of interest to many of us on a human level.

I, for one, don’t want posts to be limited only to food descriptions. I enjoy hearing about the preparations of meals for loved ones to recreate fond memories, or to support friends and family in times of need or joy. Also the descriptions woven into posts about how and why someone traveled to a particular place and enjoyed some food. we are sharing little bits and pieces of ourselves with this online community as we talk about the food.

Not only do I really enjoy the richness of these not-just-food posts, i think they are particularly important (to the posters and readers) during these times when face to face connections with our other communities are so curtailed.

16 Likes