What's for Dinner #71 - the Vacation Time! Edition - July 2021

I started out with a recipe from the NYT but made so many changes I’m not sure I should even claim that it was the basis for tonight’s dinner. I sautéed some fennel and zucchini in a large pan. After lightly browning I took them out and set them aside. Into the pan went some veggie broth, lots of garlic, some pesto and radiatore pasta. When the pasta was done I threw the vegetables back into the pan to heat through. Served with a dollop of garlic scape pesto.

IMG_1618

Someday I may actually try the recipe as written - but maybe not.

17 Likes

Another salade niçoise. My favorite summer salad when I have potatoes, haricots verts and tomatoes from the garden.

19 Likes

Mac and cheese and a salad of tomato romaine and red onion.

18 Likes

Ahem. It’s pronounced “pasketti.”

6 Likes

That is a sexy-looking salad!

2 Likes

That’s the joy of cooking - you don’t ALWAYS have to follow recipes. You can be influenced by them and then go off-road and do whatever your taste buds are craving. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. And that’s OK!

2 Likes

Everything else on the Internet or by texting is shortened to have the fewest number of letters for ease of use (See: TPSTOB :wink: ), so sketti works for me. Besides, my family called it sketti back in the old days before the Internet. Can’t teach this old dog new tricks now. Or this old leopard to change her spots. Or this old tiger to change her stripes. It’s SKETTI FOREVER! :smiley:

4 Likes

Out with a friend last night, and we ended up at our favorite neighborhood Turkish place.

Zucchini fritters, lahmacun, and izmir kofte. Everything delicious as usual.

Oh and one of many reasons they are a favorite - they even channel my favorite summer cocktail onto the short menu. Aside from the perfect lahmacun. Yep.

Earlier in the say I baked bread in my new toaster oven with my new high heat glass casserole (why did I only just discover this?)

Still getting to used to the oven, and I used some whole wheat flour, so the bread wasn’t as airy as others I’ve baked - but so delicious, especially because it had a tang from paneer whey from the other day.

19 Likes

I’m having some photo upload issues and started a thread about it - in case anyone else has run into similar and wants to pipe in.

1 Like

Thanks, I follow HO but do not contribute as I do not cook red meat and am limited o sea food, chicken and duck. Also have a problem uploading pictures .
Last night, I was unaware that a guest of my son is the granddaughter of the famous chef in DC , 'GERMAINE’S", She came to DC with her photojournalist husband after the fall of Saigon. Her restaurant was where the politicians, journalist as well as celebrities frequent. Even Julia Child went there and loved her food. Back then, without internet, her guests in the society page often calls her restaurant the first and only pan asian restaurant . I did not know that this granddaughter was at my house 4 years ago before I was diagnosed with alpha gal when I smoked a North Carolina pulled pork for my son’s friends. There were a lot of guest then and I was very busy . Yesterday, returning from their day trip on the Chesapeake bay, the guests stayed to watch our gorgeous sunset and went swimming. It was around 9:00Pm , there was no hint of them retuning home. I was not prepared to have guests for dinner and found out who she is. Well, quickly defrosted my spring rolls for them, gave them left over southern tomato pie, left over italian zucchini dish with ground turkey, caramelized onions, garlic, tomato,long beans, home grown cucumber salad with sesame oil, vinegar and of course Hon mirin that I just purchased from Japan . I wanted to write about that as there is no Hon mirin available in this country. There are copies with corn syrup and at best ajimirin. This is from Japan Store, the special 4 year old aged ( Issi Souden ) Ogasawara Mirin. If anyone is interested, it cost only $12.00 per bottle but with two bottles and S/H via fed Ex, it came to $59.00. It is quite smooth and can be used as liquor. They tasted it and loved it. I used it also as glaze for my pan fried chilean sea bass to counteract the salty miso, ginger, garlic, spring onions sesame oil and Dashi stock. I also love it for steamed fluke with soy, fermented black beans , vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic spring onions. So, if anyone is interested, it is a great product!

12 Likes

BE THAT WAY. All the kids in my neighborhood said pasketti. I can’t remember where it came from - maybe an old commercial or tv show with a little kid learning to talk?

2 Likes

H and his sibs use that exact word, so you’re not alone @small_h.

1 Like

Ask him why! Now I need to know.

1 Like

Ok, I’ll see if he can remember that far back. Must not be a regional thing either, since he grew up in the inter-mountain west.

2 Likes

Hi @ccj! Lovely to “see” you here again.

3 Likes

Beautiful! I love that too! I missed growing beans this spring. I usually do bush beans in containers, and I might try in the fall. Where do you garden and what variety of haricots do you grow?

LOL! I think early on, my family used to call is “bizsketti” and just eventually shortened it to sketti. But yes, probably a little kid saying the word incorrectly.

Simply one of our favourites …

10 Likes

When we were at Drew’s last Saturday, I ordered fresh cavatelli with burrata and fresh vegetables, in an eggplant bolognese to go. I had some tonight and it was delicious. This is only a half portion. I’ll have the rest tomorrow.

11 Likes

Could easily become one of my favorites!!!

1 Like