What's for Dinner #71 - the Vacation Time! Edition - July 2021

I made a version of this chicken curry by Meera Sodha.

It was okay, but the spicing wasn’t that enjoyable for me and I am unsure why. Just tasted a bit of the leftover sauce straight out of the fridge. Thinking it’s the cinnamon infused in the base? I’m not really able to detect a distinct cinnamon flavor among all the spices though I suspect the cinnamon to be the off note for me.

This was a forgiving preparation so I may give it another try sometime minus the cinnamon stick infusion. For example, I didn’t have yogurt so I subbed coconut milk (and even thinned during cooking with water to stop burning or sticking). The sauce still had a satisfying and glossy consistency. And I also omitted the ghee or butter. Yep, still fine.

No picture. It was late and we were hungry.

5 Likes

Those look so good! Is your prep somewhat along the lines of the the Food & Wine recipe here?

I adore vegetable fritter-y things as well as tostones, and your green plantain cutlets bring both of these faves to mind.

1 Like

This made me chuckle because a daft but memorable food tantrum (family!) from the pandemic was solely to do with “too much cinnamon” in dal :joy:

It probably was the cinnamon, because it’s the only whole garam masala she uses in the recipe, and it can infuse a tomato sauce like that quite deeply.

Suggest swapping the cinnamon for other whole garam masala - cardamom is good, a couple of cloves. You can also skip the yogurt entirely - it just adds more tang and some richness (it breaks down to ghee).

3 Likes

Yes! Those were the inspiration.

I used a lot more aromatics - about the recipe quantity for 1 plantain and 1 potato. No egg - can always taste it in vegetarian cutlets - a bit of cornstarch slurry instead. And lots of cilantro.

Plantains add a nice textural bite that remind me of a lot of indian yams.

3 Likes

Thanks for the diagnosis! I thought that maybe my cinnamon stick was super strong or something but I guess not an unusual result.

Recalls the time I decided to use a little vodka to extract heat from a chile. But the chile I had was a Scotch bonnet. Let’s just say the jambalaya I made with that infusion was fire on the palate. Worked too well. :rofl:

3 Likes

I’ve done this many times. Where you see “uploading” your photos hadn’t finished uploading before you started adding another one and/or submitted your post. Gotta go a bit slowly with HO as it doesn’t catch up.

Usually your best bet when this happens is to edit the post, deleting all the photo upload markup and re-uploading. Also be careful about moving your cursor when the photos are uploading and interrupting the photo markup by typing text. (Ask me how I know :laughing:)

7 Likes

I would 100% order this

2 Likes

How strange. Their black cherry is fantastic.

1 Like

Recently:

Lazy fish tacos-

Brined roasted turkey breast, cornbread, summer squash with onion and dill, and roasted foraged chanterelles-

PXL_20210726_221124052~2
PXL_20210726_221838443~2

18 Likes

We love the grape, and it’s the only one we like. Different strokes!

2 Likes

She’s looking very coy with that one leg slightly raised as she poses. :rofl:

2 Likes

I’m so happy that you kept her knees together. It drives me crazy when people post pictures of their roast chicken looking like they are on the way to a gynecologist’s table instead of the dinner table.

4 Likes

Agree, they’ve already sacrificed their lives to be food, we should at least give them one final dignity!

4 Likes

Tonight we made a riff on Thai swimming rama, as mentioned by @gcaggiano using pork tenderloin. I ended up combining the sauce and meat in a skillet along with two sliced zucchini. Served over cauli-jasmine rice. I subbed peanut butter and tahini for ground peanuts and sesame seeds in the sauce. It was delicious, although of course I tweaked it substantially to our tastes. DH made som tum using what was available - green mango and cucumber, in this case. Very good as well.

15 Likes

Flageolets salad with cherry tomatoes and sweet onion with a very lemony, garlicky vinaigrette. Smoked duck breast from the farm. All super easy and very tasty.

16 Likes

Sketti, sawce, buttered roll.

It’s not Prince Spaghetti Day, but the craving would not be denied.

And more grated Parm-Reg went on after I took the picture. Because the attempt at artful schprinkling of cheese for the picture wasn’t enough for the taste buds.

17 Likes

Smoked duck. :star_struck: Now that is a treat.

1 Like

Not a good enough pic for Instagram, but my fellow HO’s will hopefully not judge.

We did fajita bowls tonight. Unseen rice and beans on the bottom, some grilled chicken, peppers, onions, spices, and Frontera “Fajita Sauce”. Topped with cheese and sour cream. It was delicious. I’d say we skipped the soft tortillas to cut back on carbs, but the entire bag of Tortiyahs we inhaled nixes that argument.

20210727_194611

18 Likes

First home cooked meal in over a week, steak and chicken kabob’s, yellow rice and corn on the cob. Delicious summer meal! Hope everyone is enjoying their meals, everything looks so good! Happy and healthy eats my friends.

18 Likes

Cochon Butcher duck pastrami (from my NOLA trip in Dec. 2020/Jan. 2021) sliders, with Mike’s Hot Honey mayo, pepperjack cheese, and thin slices of persian cukes, on sweet pan de leche. and Ore-Ida tots! and a salad of of things that needed eating: butter lettuce, red cabbage, mint, cilantro, endive, and blue cheese vinaigrette. the duck was smokey deliciousness.

19 Likes