What's for Dinner #71 - the Vacation Time! Edition - July 2021

Thank you very much.

1 Like

That was your meal this week? :hushed:

I’m confused.

2 Likes

I was thinking of making this just the other night! This is a sign…

Looks delicious!

1 Like

@Respectfully_declined:

It does not matter when we had eaten the sardines. We had visited my parents and they live up in the northeast corner of Cadaqués on one of the Capes.

Really, private – we travel for business all the time and to see our parents and married sons and two grandsons.

I sent the Map to give the readers “the location” where we travel to quite frequently.

I end here.

1 Like

thanks! i’m dreaming of making it again, soon. this time with more broth, an extra egg, chicken cut into smaller bites.

What an inspired and inspiring meal. Swooning!

2 Likes

My husband had done the fotos for that company 2 years ago.

We stop there all the time for the sardines and calamari.

They are friends with my parents and sons.

So they were taken two years ago, not this week? Excellent. I knew there would be an explanation.

1 Like

Yes. Thank you.

1 Like

Thank you. I wish I could take credit for it. It is from Sababa by Adeena Sussman.

5 Likes

In my defense…I went with a more Middle Eastern/Mediterranean flavor profile, and the chard idea came from this Palestinian stew that I love: https://www.food.com/recipe/fogaiyya-stew-from-gaza-city-498387

3 Likes

We went camping over the weekend (country and Americana music festival between Knoxville and Nashville). So just getting caught up.

Camping meals:

Pork al pastor tacos with grilled zucchini

Grilled local Bratwurst on Hawaiian buns, cole slaw, purchased potato salad. I saved a Brat (husband always over-serves).

Mac and cheese, dilled tomato salad, sauteed chard. This was meant to be cheeseburger mac, but I grabbed the wrong frozen meat package when packing.

Ranch chicken thighs, chopped tomatoes, foil-packet runner beans and new potatoes with herbs.

The night before last, at home: smoked pork chops over quinoa and runner beans cooked in mushroom broth.

And last night, fried rice with Chinese sausage and chicken thigh, served with oyster-sauced choi sum.

18 Likes

Ugh, not here in Asheville. It’s always a miss…but sushi struggles here, generally, being in the mountains and all.

I’m always so impressed by your camping meals!

5 Likes

I was only teasing…

I take liberties with every other cuisine, and I enjoy seeing the many different takes inspired by traditional indian dishes.

The Palestinian stew is interesting - especially the use of mastic.

1 Like

Last night (not pictured), half an excellent bagel with cream cheese and lox. More and more, I find if I do not prep dinner early, that’s what happens. Today I prepped early and had stir fried chicken with sugar snap peas and shiitakes with rice. I’m oddly proud of myself because when I decided that’s what I wanted for dinner I had a bone in chicken breast. I boned it out, partially froze it, sliced it and it looked pretty much like the video I found on Google. Not rocket science for sure but a first for me. Very tasty even though the crappy stove at this otherwise excellent rental cannot produce enough heat to sear properly.

14 Likes

That part I had to skip - I’m very curious how it alters the taste!

1 Like

I’m wondering if it’s more texture than taste - like gelatin in beef stew. With so little, it would t have a big taste impact, I don’t think.

I’ve had mastic ice cream at my local turkish place, and mastic sweets from indian home sources - in the former it added elasticity rather than flavor, and in the latter it was deep fried and crunchy, not really a taste (that came from nuts and spices).

@Lambchop may have more to add, as it’s a Greek ingredient in addition to turkish, lebanese, etc. Or maybe @shrinkrap’s DIL can tell us!

3 Likes

Tonight was Caprese sandwiches on ciabatta rolls with homemade/grown pesto, French grated carrot salad, and leftover beans and taters.

Homemade apple pie a la mode for dessert (a joint collab). My crust was awfully sandy/crumbly but tasted good. Wonder if it was because it got too warm during the assembly or I didn’t develop enough gluten?

16 Likes

Fresh tomato soup; BLTs. Clamato. Full day, didn’t feel like cooking, Was just fine!

6 Likes