What's for Dinner #71 - the Vacation Time! Edition - July 2021

Late dinner. Wasn’t going to make anything until I decided I didn’t want yet the same leftovers from Sunday.

So I repurposed the roasted chicken and veggies into a pot pie, and steamed some diced potatoes to add to the mix. Added some dried rosemary and thyme to the mix, topped it with a Pillsbury pie crust, gave it an egg wash, and baked it at 350°F for 30 minutes and let it sit for another 15.

Ended up thinning out the gravy too much with the last of some heavy cream, but it still tastes good.

17 Likes

This looks quintessential! Sign me up for your repurposed fridge and pantry stuffs!

5 Likes

That looks yummy. We just had a store-bought chicken potpie (made in house) but it was dry - barely any gravy and no potatoes. Oh, well…we’ll live!!

4 Likes

Here is the crepe recipe @Saregama; for savory crepes omit the sugar and increase the salt to 1/2 teaspoon. After blending, cover with plastic wrap and let sit for at least 30 minutes, or in the fridge for up to 2 days. Proceed to cook over medium heat in a crepe pan or similar.

7 Likes

Grilled shrimp and asparagus over mom’s slow-cooker risotto. Shrimp dusted with Montreal Steak Seasoning and paprika-- a superb combination if I do say so myself.

Appetizer was bruschetta.

Was hoping to have dinner and drinks outside in the garden, but a thunderstorm of epic proportions nixed that. A martini inside it was.

15 Likes

Amazing. I’m going to use your recipe. Love chicken pot pies .

2 Likes

I’ve only knowingly had or tasted mastic once, in chewing gum, and I didn’t like it at all that way. If I had it in Greece or Turkey, it was unknown to me, and was just an ingredient in something. The Greek Americans I’ve known, as well as the cookbooks of the same, don’t use it. I have of course seen it in some cookbooks and internet recipes. My mind is totally open to using it, and in fact I’m getting ready to place a specialty food order, and will add it to the list. Will find recipe(s) to utilize & post in Greek cuisine of the quarter.

3 Likes

It’s Bastille Day so we must have something French. Crustless quiche Lorraine, artichoke with aioli. Libation was The Jabobin.

18 Likes

The plates you use frame your meals quite nicely.

2 Likes

If I had to guess @ChristinaM, on your pie crust, it may be that things got too warm, or perhaps, the butter was reduced too much into small bits - 25 pulses in the FP might be too many. In any case you had success in that you were able to roll it out and into a pie. My H should be so lucky, apple pie is his fav. :green_apple::pie: @Babette may also have some thoughts on pastry crust.

2 Likes

My continuing journey toward replicating the seafood tofu stew I had about 12 years ago at Amazing 66. Getting there.

IMG_8628

14 Likes

Long day. Went to a doctor - after almost two years? Eye doctor it was - I suspected I needed reading glasses, but also the eye strain of the past year and a half has been at a different level.

On the way back, I stopped at TJs because I wanted to try their new pork xlb, but of course left with a whole bag of groceries.

The xlb were pretty tasty for a frozen version - ate them while FaceTiming with the nephews (who think it’s very funny that I finally need glasses, the brats.)

Dinner was a mish-mosh. I had a piece of the leftover tortilla espanola from the other day, and steamed an ear of fresh corn that acted as a butter delivery vehicle for the new butter from TJs (from New Zealand, which hasn’t done me wrong yet on lamb or beef or dairy.)

Finished with a bowl of yogurt.

15 Likes

I’m going to try steaming them on the stovetop next time - ours usually explode when following the microwave instructions.

My sister nukes them all the time, and they rarely break. Maybe try a slightly shorter time?

@Saregama - we love those! And, extremely oddly enough, being the rabid pork lover that I am, we slightly prefer the chicken ones.

Just keep the gravy to less than you’d think. I’ve made it once where I thinned about a cup of gravy with a Tbsp of heavy cream, maybe a smidge more, and it was perfect. Everything stayed together upon spooning it out. I thinned this one too much. You shouldn’t “see” the gravy in the skillet as much, if that makes sense.

4 Likes

I don’t follow their instructions - I did 60% power for 2m, then checked and increased to 70% for another minute.

1 Like

I find the chicken xlb unrelated to the real thing, so after trying then twice I decided it was better to skip.

However I do prefer the chicken version for gyoza - the flavor and texture is better than the pork (for my taste).

Shui Mai again the pork tastes like the real deal, the chicken is something different.

1 Like

i prefer the texture, i think. again, that’s an anomaly for me - 99.9999% of the time, i’ll pick anything over chicken.

in any case, they’re good and a great little meal, very tasty, and so low in cals.!

Lunch on Mediterranean Alt Empordà.
Photos by: My dear.

12 Likes

Are you saying there is a pork xlb? I think the one I’ve had was chicken. I definitely prefer the pork shumai.