What's for Dinner #71 - the Vacation Time! Edition - July 2021

Comfort food.
Last Meal food.
A properly roasted chicken is a gift from the gods. I’m thrilled that I can make it for myself to enjoy.

8 Likes

I remember eating grilled fish like that in San Francisco and again in Barcelona

1 Like

I’ve come to embrace grocery store sushi. Really pretty good, I eat it often.

2 Likes

Those sardines were fresher than fresh and truly wonderful …

1 Like

It was pretty good. They keep it freshly stocked all day. I found that leftovers make a great crispy hash for breakfast with an over easy egg. Scrape off the avocado and smear it on a toasted English muffin.

1 Like

Super simple tonight…used some of the leftover roast chicken in a panino with Swiss cheese and chopped roasted peppers mixed in with a single sun-dried tomato that was slivered.

Buttered Trader Joe’s San Francisco-style sourdough (not really SFO style, as there’s not enough “sour”, IMO, but it’ll do in a pinch) and grilled on the grill pan with a press.

Needed some more oomph, but it helped fill the belly for the night without any major production.

Ruffles with ridges alongside.

14 Likes

Dinner tonight was comprised of some firsts for me.

Poached salmon - yep, never done that before. Butter and fennel fronds after.

Yucca frita - love it, never made it till now. Added chipotle to the garlic mayo from the other day for a dipping sauce. I fried all of it lightly, then roasted to finish most and finished frying just a few pieces. Think it dried out a bit, but that may have been because I didn’t boil it enough?

And the last of the fennel shaved for a simple, lemony salad. I think I might prefer raw fennel to cooked. May have to try some as a gratin next time just to confirm.

19 Likes

Steak night!! We split a gorgeous 1.75lb ribeye, reverse seared to 100 internal and then browned in butter on the stove top. Cauliflower purée with Parmesan and a garlicky herb sauce alongside. Forgot to take a pic, but the steak was ruby-red perfection!

8 Likes

I love fennel no matter how it’s cooked, but raw is my favorite. Especially shaved in a slaw or salad. That fresh crunch is irresistible.

3 Likes

Oyakodon, aka “parent-and-child rice bowl.” Super simple, delish and homey - and way better than it looks. Cut-up chicken thighs simmered in a little dashi, soy, mirin and sugar, thin sliced onions go on top, simmer a little more, than beaten eggs go over and simmer until just set. Served over sticky rice, topped with scallions, pickled ginger and radish on the side. 2nd time making this, not the last! Comfort meal to the max on a chilly San Francisco day.

15 Likes

looks great! we just boil and then fry yuca, i do think the oven process dries it out…

1 Like

I’ve always wondered how that kit was. Looks pretty good.

1 Like

Oh, it was a day! After work I had a meeting at my non-profit organization which managed to be shorter than normal but still feel like it was all night. Had a martini when I got home-- but on the rocks. It was a weeknight after all!

To eat: Bangers and Mash featuring roasted garlic chicken sausage by Al Fresco. Honestly, I thought they were delicious. The best non-pork sausage I’ve ever had, and I’ve been through a bunch of turkey and chicken sausages ranging from “meh” to dreadful. The BF did not like the sausages unfortunately. There was TPSTOB in the potatoes. With onion gravy and steamed asparagus. A good low-effort meal after a marathon day.

16 Likes

Grilled blsl chicken thighs that had been marinated in seasoned yogurt, grilled cotc because it’s summer. We must get it while we can. Salad inspired by the Greek Cuisine of the Quarter thread.

15 Likes

Yeah I tried the soondubu jjigae at a BCD restaurant in SoCal a while back and it was actually fairly close to the restaurant version IIRC. With the caveat that I am not a soondubu connoisseur.

2 Likes

Some tonkatsu and rice with pickles, broccolini, and curry from instant roux that needed a little more water I think.

16 Likes

There was some beautiful swiss chard in this week’s CSA box which reminded me of the chard stuffed fish I made last year when that happened. The fish is topped with a mixture of chopped olives, cilantro, lemon, and lots of garlic, then wrapped in chard leaves and simmered in a lemon-vegetable broth. We liked it this year as much as last. Hopefully it won’t take a year for me to make it again.

18 Likes

Not only does it look tasty it’s one of the best photos I’ve seen.

2 Likes

Lovely. When were those photographs taken?

1 Like

When were the photos taken ?

This week.

Thank you for the compliment and have a healthy and nice summer.