What's for Dinner #71 - the Vacation Time! Edition - July 2021

I’ve been thinking about crepes lately, and you may have tipped me over with a vision of crespelle :yum:

Everything looks and sounds delicious!

1 Like

Thanks @Saregama - they are so worth it! Thinking about seafood crepes next, and would like to make a Coquilles St Jacques version - old school, but so delicious!

Ooh that sounds good! I used to make a batch of crepes and freeze them, but haven’t done that in a while.

Do you make buckwheat crepes for savory use? I haven’t done that yet.

No, haven’t used buckwheat for crepes, ever, but I used to make buckwheat pancakes sometimes. Used an epicurious recipe, and the batter didn’t turn out as well as the standby, which is JOC. Made in a blender and very dependable, always. Wouldn’t rec the batter recipe, but the filling was pretty good - spinach and cheese, but would tweak it next time. Used homemade Greek style home canned tomato sauce on top.

1 Like

I made an impulse purchase of frozen tuna the other day - missing my fresh-off-the-boat fish in CA!

Followed a recipe for sushi rice for the first time, and it turned out perfectly - note to self to (sometimes) follow recipes :joy:

So, sushi rice, seared sesame-crusted tuna, avocado, furikake, scallions, and soy-wasabi-ginger sauce.

Tuna was actually pretty good for being frozen.

16 Likes

Oh my, that does look good, and am sure that sesame crust is ideal.

You know, I do the sesame crust out of habit.

It does taste good, but I’m sure I’d get the same flavor by sprinkling over toasted sesame seeds?

1 Like

OMG. If you don’t get the connection drop me a note and I’ll linky. It’s just too funny.

Dinner at home after a week of gluttony in LA. Soondubu jjigae from BCD kit. Added kimchi and scallions, and cracked an egg in there.

18 Likes

It looks like a pretty good kit. Your rice came out beautifully.

2 Likes

Alt Empordà: Figueres - Cadaquès, Girona …

10 Likes

That whole meal looks so good.

1 Like

Would you mind sharing your basic crepes recipe? TIA

Pork chop, roasted baby carrots, sugar snap peas. All from local farms very nearby. I love this time of year in Maine! When I have ingredients this wonderful all I want to do is not wreck them and I was 3 for 3 tonight: pork well-seared but still a bit pink and very juicy, carrots still with a bit of bite (and so very carrot-y!), sugar snaps still crunchy but not raw.

A couple of other recent non-errors with beautiful local ingredients: local bluefin tuna belly; garlic lemon chicken tenders with buttermilk coleslaw.

21 Likes

BF made chicken and broccoli with garlic sauce from a YouTube recipe. I really enjoyed it but he did not.

16 Likes

Trip to the liquor store and then a long day in town. Needed to tackle the kitchen faucet leak when I got home, so I picked up grocery store sushi and added Ling Ling pot stickers from the freezer. I think half of Northern California and Central Oregon were on the coast today.

15 Likes

Ricotta and favas with salsa verde.
From a show I’m really enjoying. The show is Grow, Cook, Eat .

This is the very tiny portion I got husband to try.

He did not think my homemade ricotta added much. In fact he felt it took away flavor. Perhaps because I had not yet added the lemon juice, but more likely there is never enough salt.

Also, I used shallots instead of red onion, basil instead of parsley, and preserved lemon rather than zest, because that’s what I needed to use.

13 Likes

All three of those look wonderful and it’s so good to see you here again!

5 Likes

Blood sausage the BF found in the freezer. Really good. Fresh, buttery corn sauteed with red pepper and scallions, and mexi-rice. Starchy, but good!

14 Likes

^ Lucky you. What beautiful seasonal meals you have been putting on your table!

2 Likes