What to do with 2 gallons whole milk

2 Likes

Done!

This will be breakfast!

Couldn’t wait.

3 Likes

@shrinkrap - let me know if you’d like a good recipe for ciabatta bread using whey.

1 Like

Your yogurt looks wonderful. The first IP I ever sold was to a woman who wanted it exclusively for yogurt-making. She used in her home country and was so happy when there was a US version available to her.

1 Like

Has anyone here ever made home-made condensed milk?

1 Like

@DianaMoon, I have not.

It turns out what I had was two half gallons of milk. I realized this as I was measuring the second half-gallon for ricotta.

More yogurt Panna cotta ideas.

This one credits smittenkitchen.com. Same recipe but mentions seasonal toppings.

This one uses milk and not heavy cream. Yesterday I bought half and half rather than heavy cream which cost more than $5.00 U.S.!

Epicurious often has helpful comments.

3 Likes

My yogurt panna cotta molded

And unmolded, in my fancy “stupid little things” dish from Turkey.

PXL_20210707_015541199

Needs a bit more gelatin? I substituted a gold leaf for an portion of an envelope in the recipe.

It could be like a breast. Some prefer more gelatin.

Not stupid, but not drinking tea, so…?

3 Likes

Panna cotta is notoriously tricky where setting is concerned - too much gelatin and it’s too stiff, a shade less and… yep.

Hope it tasted good!

2 Likes

I have watched at least five cooking competitions with Panna cotta in the last few days. It did taste good and I really needed to use this yogurt.

2 Likes

Hahahahaha

We have an expert panna cotta maker in the family, so I haven’t bothered to experiment myself. She only uses heavy cream, though. Maybe I’ll be inspired by you and try the yogurt version this week.

Oh, it strikes me that the homemade yogurt may have tripped you up - did you drain it further?

2 Likes

Maybe. It was very thick.

And that was before I strained it. I think I used one cup 1/2 and 1/2 to one cup yogurt, and 1 sheet plus a smidgen, of “gold” gelatine leaf. Set overnight.

3 Likes

More about gelatin.

You aren’t kidding! I froze four cups from a half gallon, and from what was left, got about a cup of ricotta.

Not sure if I made a mistake because it didn’t set up with the the whey from the yogurt. I ended up adding lemon juice and heating it up again, and the curd seems less something than I’d like. Maybe I strained it too much? Any thoughts about adding back cream?

Care of @Presunto

http://www.everything-goat-milk.com/making-ricotta-cheese.html

And

2 Likes

2 Likes

Sweet baby Jesus, you still have them? :scream:

1 Like

I still have about a cup of ricotta. Am I going to die? :pleading_face:

1 Like

Those are beautiful glasses! I’d switch to tea for the opportunity :laughing:

2 Likes

Thank you! From my in laws in Turkey!

3 Likes

I looked at the recipe. I find the idea of making caramel in a glass dish scary; I don’t like exploding glass and I don’t like picking up glass shards. In any case crème caramel is simpler to make.