What's for Dinner #70 - The "Kickoff to the Summertime BBQ" Edition - June 2021

omygod that picanha looks amazing!

It really was!

We’ve had it a few rimes - grilled only, or sous vide and then grilled.

It seemed finicky in that if it was slightly under done, it was chewy and gross, but when it was cooked a bit more it just completely transformed!

Seasoned with only salt - didn’t need anything else. Apparently it was wagyu.

1 Like

Indian for dinner tonight.

• Sour beet curry - some with chicken, some vegetarian with potato.
  • Green beans just for the kids, who don’t eat beets
  • Simple dal for everyone - slightly sweet for the kids, tempered with garlic, cumin, and home grown serrano for the adults.
  • Freezer stock of chapatis and naan
  • Plain basmati rice

This was the simplest Indian meal we have eaten since the beginning of the pandemic - for the adults: beets, dal, carbs, and for the kids: green beans, dal, carbs - which is how my family usually eats.

9 Likes

Today was pork lettuce wraps and jasmine rice. And I am admitting a small fail here, among friends. Which is that I grabbed a big handful of chives from the garden, brought them in, rinsed and chopped them and threw them into the pork. It turns out there were a few, or a dozen, blades of grass among the chives. Oops. Grass is fibrous to eat.

15 Likes

30 hours s/p washing red leafed lettuce , tossed with a vinaigrette and fried shallots from a jar, served with “Pacific North West grilled salmon”.

![PXL_20210608_030847150|700x525]

(upload://bU8tEU2RHhfplGdfdggbIc9YVxb.jpeg)

17 Likes

I didn’t understand this, but the salmon looks delicious!

I realized when my friend baked salmon for lunch last week that as much as it’s become a cliche, I’ve always enjoyed the flavor and texture of salmon, and really don’t eat it enough!

1 Like

Thank you and sorry!
s/p is medical jargon for status post, or after.
I am trying to figure out how to make better use of my csa lettuce, including pre-washing.

Very nice!

2 Likes

What are the tasty looking green/yellow squares on the plate?

1 Like

7 Likes

Tell him it looks very pretty.

4 Likes

Your last couple of posts made me lol. Funny!

1 Like

Grilled & Miso Basted Hamachi Kama (yellowtail collar) w/Grated Daikon & Yuzu Ponzu

One of my favorite things to eat. Hubs calls it the fish version of ribs - crispy, smokey, juicy, fatty. On advice I did it in a cast iron on the grill to get char and an even sear on the skin, but coals weren’t piled up high enough to make it really char. #StillLearningToCue

Mori’s Sushi Rice

Salad Greens w/Cara Cara Oranges, Enoki Mushrooms, Pine Nuts, Marinated Daikon, White Miso Dressing

15 Likes

thank you, i will!

1 Like

ohhh i love hamachi kama too!

1 Like

wow! interesting, it isn’t totally marbled with fat the way i’ve seen wagyu before, but your description re cooking it sounds like it is. it must have been super rich!

Ugly delicious! So much juicy meat around those bones!

1 Like

I recently heard about a Lysteria recalk with this variety - just a heads up!

1 Like

Dinner tonight will be linguini and clam sauce, a favorite of mine, made by my wife. My birthday is this weekend and my wife is all over that. One of the benefits is that our meal plan for the week has me cooking more than my usual share.

5 Likes

Uh boy. A good reason why I always think twice before eating shrooms raw. So far we’re ok. :nauseated_face: Thanks!

1 Like