What's for Dinner #70 - The "Kickoff to the Summertime BBQ" Edition - June 2021

No, it’s not visibly marbled the way ribeye or other cut would be. There’s a fat cap over one side.

But it’s still very rich and luscious - I knew it wasn’t regular picanha when I ate it even though I didn’t know it was wagyu until later.

1 Like

So you trimmed the fat from the chops, rendered that, and used that for searing? Or something else?

Regardless, porc confit a la Christina.

1 Like

Thank you very much Denise.

Have a lovely evening.

1 Like

Yep, exactly

1 Like

I made white bean and kale soup with bacon and Italian mini meatballs. Good way to use up lots of CSA produce.

13 Likes

Hot as Eff outside today. It was 82° when I left for work this morning. And one of the AC units on the roof for our office seems to have decided to crap out. Let’s just say 81° in the office all day is NOT fun.

So a cold salad for dinner: red leaf lettuce, grated carrots, sliced English cuke, radishes, and some red bell pepper, Cherub tomatoes, hard-boiled egg, bacon, and goat cheese. The dressing and croutons went on after the pic was taken.

Thank you, Mr. Carrier. You are a prince among men.

17 Likes

Hot as eff (fire?) here too, and I had a very substantial lunch. At 5pm I watched a live Zoom presentation on shucking oysters, something I could be better at. My apartment is being painted, so the place looks like a war zone. I set up my computer on the kitchen counter (the only room that’s “done”), brought home 3 varieties of oyster from AquaBest, and shucked along with Paddy from PEI. Did I mention the water’s off in my building today? Good times! Anyway, the oysters were good, except for one. And I did get better at shucking.

7 Likes

We had Thai takeout tonight.

I tried the Kao Soi got a change - very flavorful, but sweeter than I expected. Also Larb Gai, which was good.

Others had Pad see euw, stir fried vegetables, summer rolls (or fresh spring rolls as they are called here), and yellow curry.

Earlier I finally made the whitefish salad that I was craving months ago and ordered a chunk of smoked whitefish for. Never made it before and only tasted it once, but yummy! I had it with toasted baguette for lunch, and then again with rice crackers for a snack.

17 Likes

I’m 2 for 2 days in a row of cooking. The daughter and fiancé are hitting the gym getting into wedding shape so they requested a “healthy” meal. Perfectly blackened Mahi Mahi pan fried served over a homemade dressed salad. Dressing is a spicy sriracha Cesar with the fish topped with crunchy fried onions (French’y)
(fiancé doesn’t like salad his served with string beans)

14 Likes

Scallops with salad and rice. Cheers.

18 Likes

A good reason for cooking (baking in my opinion) bacon in bulk and keeping it in the fridge.

2 Likes

I mixed up two different recipes when I was planning dinner and ended up without enough of the ingredients for either one. Rather than running out to the store I did a mash up of the two and ended up with something pretty good. Chicken tenders with leeks, shiitake mushrooms, and hot peppers. I added some white wine, lemon, and butter which augmented and brightened up the sauce.

13 Likes

Looks perfect

1 Like

That last part of your comment would NEVER happen. Just sayin’. I mean, c’mon - it’s BACON!!! :bacon: :bacon: :bacon:

3 Likes

Bacon is a vegetable. It’s good for you. ™

1 Like

6 Likes

Congratulations.

Thank you.

Oyakodon

PXL_20210610_015322650

12 Likes

Yum, what’s in it?