What's for Dinner #70 - The "Kickoff to the Summertime BBQ" Edition - June 2021

Dinner last night: marinated tuna steaks on the grill, sauteed spinach with Feta, mashed potatoes, green salad.

1 Like

And your secret ingredient is…? We promise we won’t tell anyone!

Tabil seasoning. A Tunisian spice blend of ground coriander , caraway , garlic powder , and chilies.

1 Like

Do you mean one of the places on 8th Avenue?

Light lunch out to see a Pastry Chef Friend.

Prawn Cocktail Renovation …
Lemon Squid with Mascarpone Foam and Reggiano Parmigiano Emulsion …
Praline Chocolate foam, Extra virgin olive oil, salt and toast crumble …

8 Likes

Thanks. I promise I won’t tell anyone!
I’m not familiar with tabil. How did you come across it? What do you use it on? Just curious.

1 Like

I wanted a new spice flavor . I thought north African. I use it on everything. It’s actually quite mild . I really like its flavor . I purchased it from Amazon.

2 Likes

Spent a lazy day indoors in the heat wave, other than remotely dealing with a thermostat issue in our server room at work.

Made a mini charcuterie for lunch with Manchego cheese, quince paste, and Marcona almonds, green grapes, prosciutto and cashews.

Dinner was a pork tenderloin seasoned with olive oil and Spicewalla’s Honey and Herb rub and roasted in the oven. Sides were steamed and roasted baby red and yellow potatoes tossed in olive oil and Penzeys’ Mural of Flavor and steamed green beans. And wine.

16 Likes

I made turkey chili with black and pinto beans, which we brought with wine to our friends’ place for dinner.
Hot dogs were grilled. The kids did s’mores for dessert. No pics.

3 Likes

Love the charcuterie plate! It looks beautiful.
Dinner looks pretty good too - as always!

1 Like

We enjoyed another fabulous dinner at our favorite Thai restaurant, Ammata Thai in River Vale, NJ. We enjoyed crispy betel leaves, Southern crab curry, crab dip, Phad Phed Beef, green papaya salad, and Isaan rice ball salad. It all went great with an excellent red blend.

12 Likes

Yes. The first one is my favorite, but the others are good too.

Linda, your plates for one are such an inspiration to serve beautifully even when it’s just for me…

2 Likes

Mussels escabeche (background). Poutine with mushroom gravy (foreground). What do these foods have to do with one another? Damned if I know. Sometimes you go to the greenmarket and you get some crazy ideas. I blame the heat.

poutine

12 Likes

Pizza night, and why make 1 when I can make 3 and really stay busy! I am terrible at shaping dough, so I apologize for how “homemade” these look. We had snap peas from the garden - first small harvest - so I did one with snap pea prosciutto and cheese, and another with leftover smoked pulled pork in a Carolina mustard bbq with snap peas and cheese. Finally, a straight up tomato chorizo and cheese. With a corner of no tomato for the anti-tomato kid. Served with a side of garden arugula salad. Sourdough discard is wonderful in the crust. One of my 2 favorite ways of using it, the other being in waffles.

17 Likes

Not so far apart, IMO, simply a riff on Moules Frites?

Deconstructed moules frites! Now I feel fancy.

5 Likes

Haha :+1: You should - looks perfectly lovely @small_h!

1 Like

Gracias! + thanks, eh?

1 Like

You are too funny! Eh is right, since I’m right next door to Canada. Funny story: I was on a little getaway to Victoria BC a number of years ago. I was waiting for a friend in a mall, who was trying on clothes, while I parked myself in a lounge area. There was an orphaned newspaper there, in which I read about poutine for the first time; unfortunately there was no description involved. Sooo, I asked someone what it was, and after they had a hearty laugh, they explained, and I was then directed to the places in the food court that offered it, and the best one in which to procure it. Since I’d had quite the party night the day before, I did indeed have some, and of course felt a bit better afterward, but in sort of a guilty way :upside_down_face: I can do it once in awhile, but a little goes a long way…

2 Likes