What's for Dinner #70 - The "Kickoff to the Summertime BBQ" Edition - June 2021

Pizza on our grill is back for the summer!

This one has caramelized onions, ricotta, and (previously cooked) hot sausage. Plus chopped cherry tomatoes briefly marinated in olive oil, garlic, and herbs.

15 Likes

Yum, I’m envious.

Do you know what that plate pattern is? I like.

I pulled a container of leftover Chinese braised beef shank sauce from the freezer (chu hou). There wasn’t any meat left but plenty of deeply savory, warm-spiced gravy. I had some b/s chicken thighs in the freezer and decided to turn the two into Japanese-style chicken curry in the IP. I took cues from Melissa Clark’s recipe for beef curry that uses grated apple, cubed carrot and sweet potato, onion, bay leaf, Worcestershire, ketchup, and a flour roux cooked stovetop. I was so happy with how it turned out! Served over sticky jasmine rice.

17 Likes

thank you!

1 Like

It’s from West Elm, and I got it when some test kitchen (Tasting Table, I think) was selling off all their old stuff. I don’t think it’s still available, but this is pretty close:

https://www.westelm.com/products/textured-dinner-plates-set-of-4-lines-e1587/?pkey=cdinner%20plates

I have it in both pale green (under the bok choy) and white.

1 Like

Thank you!

You’re welcome! It cost $1! That was a great sale.

1 Like

How do you make yours, Denise?

Dammit that looks great. I hope Mrs P has a thing for younger men (sorry for the assumption I’m younger than you but your’ll get my point anyway) because I’m going to steal her!!! (Younger / older whichever ever it is Mrs P!!! Oh by the way have I told you how beautiful you look today??

2 Likes

8 Likes

Which are?

Soup dumplings? Or do you mean, which brand?

No, I mean which location in Manhattan.

I felt like the little girl, Carol Anne, from “Poltergeist” saying “They’re heeeere.” Although my reference is completely different.

Saturday afternoon traffic.
It’s been a year +.

It’s back in full force on a hot summer afternoon in New England with folks heading to the beaches.

It’s a good thing. Other than being stuck in traffic on the highways, of course.

Sea scallops from Wegmans. The fishmonger appreciated my not discriminating against the coral-colored scallops when I specifically asked for them. He said most customers go for the white scallops. I said “Good. That means more of the sweeter scallops for me!” He winked when he handed over the container of scallops I had chosen from the tray. Had to remove the catch muscle on 5 of the 6, but no biggie.

The scallops were pan-seared in a pre-heated stainless steel skillet, adding a bit of butter and olive oil, then adding the s/p seasoned dry scallops for 1-1/2 minutes per side. Served with Basmati rice, mango salsa (diced mango, red onion, minced Cuban pepper for a bit of heat, freshly minced parsley and fresh lime juice), and steamed asparagus.

Wine.

19 Likes

No frills tonight.

Work, stress, and GI issues are turning me into a lazy cook of late. Coming home from work after 10 PM and eating even later is finally getting to me-- mentally and physically. Last night I went with a pre-made dinner from the local Italian market. It was delicious but I was almost ashamed.

Anyway, tonight I cooked…barely. Marinated chicken breasts in balsamic vinaigrette, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Threw em onto my humble Calphalon grill pan and they were excellent. I should have taken a picture of the naked breasts :no_mouth: . Food magazine worthy. Simple topping of fresh Mozzarella and roasted red peppers. Side of Uncle Ben’s, or whatever they’re calling themselves now, instant rice. Didn’t know what else to serve it with, though this would have made a great sandwich.

To drink: vodka and cranberry juice.

12 Likes

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at Drew’s in Keyport, NJ. Below is a link to details and pictures for those that might be interested.

5 Likes

Grilled chicken legs . Marinated in lemon juice , rosemary , oliive oil and garlic. Along with my secret ingredient. Potato salad. With lettuce and cabbage. Cheers .

12 Likes

Kung Fu - for easy access, just a shade behind Joe’s in flavor

Sorry to hear you are still not feeling well. I hope you find some relief soon.

2 Likes