What's for Dinner #70 - The "Kickoff to the Summertime BBQ" Edition - June 2021

Maybe.

:pray:t4:

Hey! It worked. Not the investing part; the color choosing part.

6 Likes

Always like to see the rainbow of raised hands in my Zoom meetings.

3 Likes

Vitiligo avatar from Animal Crissing.

venus-1

My daughter LOVES that game!

2 Likes

I gave it two hours of my time and couldn’t figure out what people saw in it. You just…walk around? Picking up stuff? Anyway, glad your daughter connected with it - that’s always nice.

1 Like

Rice noodles (forgot to check whether I had any soba, and no!) with braised lion’s mane mushrooms, toasted nori, miso glazed turnips, turnip greens and mizuna oshitashi, pickled cucumber, kabocha, five spice tofu, squid, half-cooked (more like quarter-cooked) egg. Buffet in a bowl is my favorite meal.

rice noodles

14 Likes

Chicken Chili

Added ground chicken, more tomato products, chili powders & such to the shackamaxon beans to make chili!

Avocado Tomato Salad & Garlic Bread Sprinkled w/TJs Soffritto Seasoning

Today’s Lunch is called Almost Texas Frito Pie… I didn’t serve it in an actual Frito Bag…

13 Likes

I think @ChristinaM was referring to the interface on mobile devices. On a computer when you click on the emoji’s there is a skin color palette at the bottom of the pop-up selection box.

:pray:t4:

2 Likes

Yay!!!

1 Like

Same, especially with grains, beans, and greens

The BF has for years lobbied for an Indian-fusion dish called Naancos!

1 Like

Brings to mind:

1 Like

There used to be a little takeout place in nyc called Goa Taco - mini parathas instead of tortillas, and indian fillings. The “Goa” part gave away the hippie-ish ownership.

More and more I see “tacos” from various indian flatbreads on newer/modern indian restaurant menus.

That said, there is actually an OG Indian “taco” - puri bhaji: deflated puris (hot or cold), stuffed with dry potato bhaji, fold and eat. Popular travel food. Also comfort food.

ETA: I think I deleted this by mistake…

Kababs were often eaten just rolled into naan, as kathi rolls now are (paratha not naan). You’d rarely/never see a gravy dish eaten that way, until frankies came along (a regional kathi roll that can be a bit more saucy) - for obvious drippage reasons.

8 Likes

Baby octopus clusters with pasta.

13 Likes

The title of the podcast made me laugh, because I legit used Tostitos scoops all year for sevpuri / chaat because they’re gluten free and the GF chaat-loving kid could eat it that way :rofl:

I did listen to it, and the pasta comment resonated (paraphrasing - we can somehow learn the name of every pasta shape, but the sum total of all indian food is still “a curry.”)

10 Likes

Of the small handful of our family dishes that are actually - legitimately - called “curry” - fish curry is one of the most beloved.

Always means the same thing, and always exciting to us :joy:.

4 Likes

Goan fish curry! I love that stuff. Does this recipe look right to you?

2 Likes

We made Thai Eggplant w/ Basil & Chili Paste Stir-Fry มะเขือยาวผัดพริกเผา. I added shallot, coconut sugar, and Golden Mountain sauce, and eventually added some cornstarch slurry, extra oyster sauce, and kecap manis to get the flavors balanced. Over jasmine rice. I used regular Italian eggplant due to easy access.

10 Likes

4-day weekend, woo hoo!

So I pregamed with some Beringer, and continued gaming throughout prep and the actual dinner.

Roasted broccoli and onion pizza with some meat sauce from the freezer (that had shrooms in it to which I added some freezer roasted garlic) with the last of the mozzarella in the freezer and some grated Parm-Reg. Onto some oiled parchment and into a 450° oven for about 11 minutes.

Not too shabby!

20 Likes

Marinated chicken thighs in all those leftover little take-out containers of salsa languishing in the fridge (inspired by someone who here did the same recently…?), with chopped cilantro and lime juice. Super flavorful, especially when topped with an avo crema I made with minced garlic & serrano. I ate some by the spoonful. Also, a FM red leaf lettuce salad with campari tomatoes in a garlicky, oregano dressing., and Mexi-rice.

20 Likes

ooh, i have a bunch of thai eggplant in my fridge…