What's for Dinner #70 - The "Kickoff to the Summertime BBQ" Edition - June 2021

Please start a dedicated thread. We eat Thai sticky rice at least once a week. I would love to read about your method and others can join in to.

3 Likes

@LindaWhit @tomatotomato Ladies I appreciate the comments. I guess my cooking style is more homey and less glam. It’s appropriate for 2 busy working parents and 2 growing but somewhat picky teen boys. And I am pretty budget conscious. We don’t order steak and lobster when we go out either. I’m about to embark on 7 yrs of college tuition! You could say I probably just have some ingredient envy :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I hear you!

1 Like

Well, that is a big deal! That’s the best investment in the future there is. Big believer in the power of education.

3 Likes

Same here. My parents, who are immigrants, believed 1000% in education, spend their modest disposable income on private schools during my K-12 yrs, and sent me to an Ivy. For my kids, it was going to be 8 yrs of fees, as the boys are 4 apart. But then we deferred #1 a year so he could hopefully have an in person experience, which it looks like he will.

6 Likes

I don’t think it counts as “cooking” but I have been known to mix Cheerios, Grape-Nuts, and yogurt into a meal.

6 Likes

You have catching up to do. My H routinely mixes 3 kinds of cereal together, and has been doing so since college. I tease him about it often. Like, pick a lane, dude! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like Cheerios and Grape-Nuts because the mixture of textures is nice and the crunchy little Grape-Nuts fit in the holes of the Cheerios which appeals to my sense of symmetry. I use yogurt because we only keep UHT milk in quarts that I use to make yogurt with!

Unless your husband is mixing things like Froot Loops, Lucky Charms, and Frosted Flakes before racing about like a nipped up cat I think I’m on his team. grin

3 Likes

I mix cereals and usually eat them with plain whole milk yogurt and berries. Occasionally with milk but usually only as a before-bed treat.

3 Likes

That’s a treat here. Blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries according to season. Seasons in the US and in Peru. The latter have air frequent flyer miles on them I believe.

1 Like

We occasionally get lucky charms at costco. The rest of our cereals are plain cheerios, rice krispies, corn flakes. We’re pretty healthy. Ish. He’s sporty too.

Haha, I got the wagyu & lobster meat frozen from a cruise line warehouse sale. But yes, it is mostly just the two of us now, lol. Kids are now supporting themselves… and occasionally treating us!

P.S. Your savory clafoutis sounds great.

3 Likes

It’s great reading the progression of kiddo’s expanding palate.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Brilliant!

A recent dinner…

Griddled Applegate Farms Chicken Hot Dogs w/Mustard, Ketchup and Veganaise on a paper plate.

10 Likes

Left alone for the weekend as my wife is off to Orlando for continuing education. Dinner was left over Cuban style black beans over white rice

When left alone I can go simple or cook something my wife doesn’t enjoy. Tonight went for simplicity. In part because of a waste pipe leak in the wall behind my kitchen sink, I’m trying to limit use of the sink and have a plastic bucket in the sink which gets dumped frequently so no water goes down the drain.

My kitchen will be demolished due to black mold being detected and FU to St Farm for denying my claim because you don’t cover slow leaks (wtf), nor mold

Sorry, needed to vent :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :joy: :roll_eyes:

10 Likes

:pray:

Only I think of my hands as brown.

6 Likes

Long hold the emoji when typing and you can change the color.

5 Likes

LOL. Yah, a theme that ran thru my head was invest in them now so you don’t have to bail them out later. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Thank you! I believe I’ve tried it but happy to try again. Looking for hands with vitiligo.

:pray:

Okay, I don’t know how to “long hold while typing”. I just selected the color I wanted and it didn’t work.