What's for Dinner #70 - The "Kickoff to the Summertime BBQ" Edition - June 2021

Wife is away and i usually cook something she doesn’t like but had grocery store sushi for lunch and had a long drive home from work in heavy driving rain. Just wasn’t too hungry, looked in the fridge and saw a head of cauliflower. Roasted it in the oven and it was dinner

17 Likes

Eating some xíu mại / Vietnamese meatballs made of pork, shrimp, and jicama for dinner. Used this recipe. Pretty easy to prepare, came out well. With some rice and steamed broccolini w/oyster sauce.

19 Likes

Nice! Looks like some nice char on the thighs… broil or grill?

1 Like

Some of those sauces had some sugar in them it appears. Good by me, I like a little char

3 Likes

I haven’t hopped on the whole roasted head of cauliflower (or “steaks”) train yet. The presentation is great, but wouldn’t you get maximum crispy edges and evenly distributed seasoning by breaking it into smaller florets? I’m not big on steamed cauliflower unless it’s covered in cheese sauce.

Gorgeous pictures and gorgeous food! Btw I just happen to be in your neighborhood… :grimacing:

Go for it with the vegetarian. I’m mostly vegan, and would enjoy seeing what you eat!

1 Like

Thanks! Pan fried and then finished in the oven.

1 Like

Outstanding!

1 Like

I don’t think so… I think that’s mostly from the lime juice and cilantro. I love char too!

Lurrrrve this prep for cauli! A good browning amps up its natural flavors so much.

1 Like

Looks good - you may want to use malt (or similar) vinegar and tamarind together for the sour element (in India it would be kokum and vinegar).

There are many good recipes, though, so use one that you find easy. Goan curry is usually thin.

1 Like

You are correct.

When I roast it whole, I make a seasoning paste and flip the cauliflower over to get the paste into the crevices, then flip over and coat the top.

It is somehow different that breaking it down and then roasting - which I adore. But different.

I will say that everyone I’ve ever made the whole-roasted version for always remembers it and requests it.

3 Likes

CHEESESRESTAURANTFRED118937521_3257303571032381_6988771005629333158_o

11 Likes

Perfectly, even, golden color on that cauliflower @Scubadoo97. Did you use oil or put anything on it?

Well, I’m home.

I had groceries delivered, then went to the store too, because - exciting! :joy:

Then I proceeded to eat out or order in :roll_eyes:
Had to stop so the groceries wouldn’t go bad :rofl:

So here are a few meals from the week past.

Slow-roasted salmon with miso corn mush:

Thai green curry chicken (takeout):

Chicken tamale - street cart on my block - delicious!

Birthday dim sum! Finally… and SO GOOD! Cocktails were not, though… but the dinner drinks made up for that!

Cheesetoast in my stovetop sandwich toaster - always the best outcome. Truffled ketchup - meh.

Steamed japanese-style salmon over sushi rice:

Soft-scrambled eggs with onion and chili:

19 Likes

I :heart: this post @Barca. You eat how I would eat if I could. :relaxed:

2 Likes

@TheCookie

Thank you for the lovely compliment.
For us, just a pasta for lunch with a little bit of salmon roe …
Some cheese from the shop Poncelet shown in the photo for dessert with some fresh fruit.

Well, a lovely weekend and all our best wishes during these complex times …

2 Likes

Understood. This was quick and easy and at the moment fit the bill. I was looking to coat it in tahini but the cupboard was bare some evoo and mayo filled in. It was tastier than anticipated or I could have just been a hungry :onion:

2 Likes

Dinner tonight is chicken tikka masala with rice and steamed broccoli. The weekend will be disrupted as we pack the house for painters coming on Monday. We’ll have a single burner, a microwave, and a drip coffee maker for a week. Next week will be interesting.

I’ve painted a lot of houses on a DIY basis in my life. I’m past that now. This will be a new experience.

7 Likes