What's For Dinner #7 - March 2016. The Primavera Edition

I’ll have a look. We have cows, sheep and goats (and very few buffaloes) so we get a good range of cheeses. We’re particularly good at Gouda as there are a few Dutch makers that have been going for years.

2 Likes

WFD: Pork Tenderloin with Apples and Onions, a new recipe from Virginia Willis. This involves an optional simple 30 minute brine, searing the tenderloin to create a crust with pepper if brined or with salt and pepper if not; sauteing a few apple wedges and onion slices in garlic, apple cider vinegar, homemade chicken stock, and roasting at 350F for about 15 - 20 minutes. Easy peasy for a weeknight meal. A tossed salad will compliment.

My go-to reference for pork tenderloin has been Nigel Slater’s EAT cookbook. There are other recipes in other books that have delighted us, but knowing the kind of food VA Willis’s recipes create this new one sounds as if it will become a favorite. I want to taste it as written first then see which additional herbs and spices could be used or swapped. Virginia’s recipes never fail for us.

1 Like

As I mentioned on her timeline, I totally don’t understand brining a tenderloin, which is perhaps the most tender cut of pork EVAH!

Leftovers tonight.

The sweetcorn chowder (or soup if you prefer) will have some white onion added to it as per the lovely Gio’s directions

The leftover cabbage from the other night will be mixed with fried red onions and will end up in a tart. I’ll tart the tart up with some walnuts and serve with a dollop of creme fraiche. Maybe some green leaves on the side. It’s Friday, there will be wine.

4 Likes

Another super-simple meal @casa lingua tonight, as I’m working till 10 pm and will want something that reheats easily and doesn’t need much fussing about: TJ’s much beloved turkey meatballs (never had them before) will be simmered/heated up in a tomato sauce I started earlier - sweat half a shallot & 3 garlic cloves in olive oil, added rosemary, thyme, oregano & RPF, then toasted some tomato paste. Splash o’ red wine & a big can of diced tomatoes. All simmered together and recently blended.

Side of arugula with lemon dressing. Again. I did say simple and easy :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Not quite yet. Like you say, it was quite all right. I think the red fermented curd shouldn’t be there. It was quite moist when compared to the restaurant shop version, I guess you need to totally dry the meat before cooking. Actually, moist isn’t bad at all!

How did you cook the pizza in the oven? on stone? Must be yummy!

Quick and cozy. Like it as salad.

Like this:

I think preheating the stone for that long time is really key. I’m a newbie to this but it’s worked for me.

1 Like

Back home late from work, tired. Quick and simple, like lingua said.

Grilled pork with leek, mushroom and rice noodle.

5 Likes

What was your broth please?

Easy peasy tonight . Boneless lamb sirloin chops dusted with a little fennel pollen salt and Calabrian chile flake . Pan sautéed . Can of Ranch beans and some frozen peas heated up .

2 Likes

Woke up at 4:30 a.m. and couldn’t get back to sleep, so I just got up and went into work. Eleven and a half hours later, I finally walked out. My “cooking” tonight consisted of cream cheese scrambled eggs with scallions. And toast. That’s about all my brain will manage.

I’ll really cook tomorrow.

4 Likes

Scallion peanut patties tonight- i had found this a while back. I don’t have a food processor so i just used peanut flour, went with oats as suggested and added a few more scallions. I let the mix rest in the fridge a while for extra insurance it would stick together well and then baked them. Great peanutty vs onion flavor. Had some tomato and cider vinegar braised cabbage from the freezer alongside.

2 Likes

Holy smokes. Best tart of the year. I mixed leftover cabbage from this recipe shared by @Ttrockwood http://food52.com/recipes/41256-waverley-root-s-agrigento-red-cabbage-with-black-olives-and-capers with more olives and a couple of fried red onions. Topped it with walnuts and creme fraiche.

9 Likes

Upcoming at Harters Hall…chicken breasts. They’re cut in half horizontally and go in a baking idsh. They get a heavy smear of mustard (I’m using wholegrain) and a thickish topping of breadcrumbs. “Stuff” can be mixed into the breadcrumbs - herbs, cheese, nuts - but I think I’m going to do plain. They get 30 minutes in the oven at 190, by which time you’ve got cooked but moist chicken and a crunchy topping. Alongside, a supermarket pillow pack of mixed salad leaves and a hunk of sourdough.

It’s a really nice warm weather dish. And warm weather ain’t what we got. After the warmest and wettest winter on record, it’s snowed overnight for the first time this year(about 1cm) and now there’s sleet. The bottom half of the garden has become a pond. Our area is heavy clay with a high water table, so it doesnt take much for us to get standing water.

5 Likes

Ooooh- brilliant decision! And gorgeous…!

Ready-made dashi + white miso paste + onion chopped + garlic + Japanese cooking wine (not the sweet Mirin) + konbu kelp

Did it really quick as it was 10pm when I started cooking.

2 Likes

Moist is best! Experiment until you archieve the most disired result, write down every detail and share with us. :@)) :@))

Extra wine to make up for that this weekend! Your boss(es) must know how good you are for the company! (If not, gimme their number now…)

Cheers!

1 Like

Vietnamese fish with fresh turmeric and dill. My fish of choice for this meal is always skate wings. (photos later)