What's For Dinner #7 - March 2016. The Primavera Edition

If G doesn’t come up with a decent take-away option ~ WFD: Aglio Olio with Linguine. Lots of olive oil, lots of minced garlic, red pepper flakes, anchovies, minced parsley.
~ Steamed Bok Choy - only because it needs to be cooked, and if we drizzle it with hazelnut oil it will go with the macaroni.

2 Likes

The brine was not to tenderize the meat but to infuse it with favor and get it ready to accept the delicious aromatic flavor to come.

The finished dish was delicious in every way, with every bite. We did the 30 minute brine then proceeded with the full recipe. Very easy, very fast. Tender, juicy, just barely pink inside, and the predicted crust outside. Apples and onions provided the perfect accent to the pork. Timing was perfect. Definitely repeatable. In other words, We Loved It.

2 Likes

I guess I probably wouldn’t want to infuse the flavor of salt into it but to each her own :slight_smile: I need to look through my old files for the recipe I used to fix. Glad it was good.

Catherine. It wasn’t the least bit salty. I don’t use a lot of salt anyway, but this pork was not salty.

1 Like

Apologies, Gio. The only seasoning I see in the brine is salt so I made an assumption that that was the flavor being infused.

1 Like

Fun “work” for a change tonight - my band’s taking over the regular slot of another band at a popular pub in town; we like the venue even tho the acoustics aren’t the greatest… but the beer selection, bar staff & folks who frequent it all make up for it. We’ll even debut a song I wrote a few years ago :relaxed:

Show runs from 7-9 pm, and so I had a very late lunch salad: arugula, tomatoes, avocado, pan-fried king oyster shrooms & bacon tossed in balsamic vinaigrette.

We’ll probably continue festivities post-gig at the CBDTR, with a possible extension @casa lingua.

Off to Philly for a few days mañana. Very much looking forward.

5 Likes

I have tried several white fish but decided skates was the best (for me).

I got flying fat all over my clothes eating this in Ha Noi. Not here at home.

3 Likes

Coupla Frankenchicken breasts were seasoned with a combo of Herbs de Provence, Honey-Aleppo pepper (not enough), lemon juice, lemon zest, and olive oil. Roasted until toasted. Not bad. Needed something more. I’ll make chicken salad out of the rest.

Thin asparagus was steamed. As for that purplish blob back there? Something I got at World Market - purple, red, and white Jasmine rice. I guess I didn’t rinse it quite enough. Or maybe this is what it’s supposed to look like. The rice tasted sort of soapy (and no, there’s no cilantro in it!).

Oh well. At least the wine was good. Because there was another glass poured with dinner. :smiley: (Another because I poured one BEFORE I fed the cats and started dinner prep.)

6 Likes

The four year old and I might be flying solo tonight. If the bloke does make it home for dinner there’s plenty of leftover tart he can eat.

For us I’m stealing @presunto’s beautiful looking dinner idea but going down an Indian route. It’s a dish that my father introduced me to. White fish will rubbed in a (dried) turmeric paste heavy with garlic and for me a touch of chilli. Apple cucumbers from the garden will become a raita alongside. Rice for the four year old if she wants, I’m not in the mood for it. Lime to serve.

5 Likes

I got home finally after a 15 hr work day at 10pm. I caved at got a Dairy Queen bacon cheeseburger because I was too loopy to start cooking something. Hope to cook some interesting things over the weekend but haven’t quite decided what…

1 Like

The snow has all gone. So, we had twenty four hours of winter, this winter. That’s OK. The bottom half of the garden is still a pond - it’ll be days before it dries out, assuming it’s not going to rain more.

As for dinner, there’s a slow roast shoulder of mutton. Alongside, a traditional onion sauce, roast spuds, purple sprouting brocolli and mashed carrot & swede.

Followed by cheese. We’ve got Bourne’s unpasteurised mature Cheshire and little left of their blue Cheshire. And, to finish, gooseberry crumble with custard, of course.

6 Likes

There’s pork belly crusted with fennel and sesame seeds slow roasting on a bed of root veg. All that will need to be done in an hour is make some gravy and flash cook shredded cabbage. Sticky toffee pudding to follow. Chianti. Warming food for a really cold night.

7 Likes

Is that a Nigel Slater recipe, Linda? Sounds familiar.

Jamie Oliver from Cook with Jamie. One of our most used books!

WFD: ~ Russian Burgers. (Kotleti) In Please To the Table the author tells us that this is the kind hamburger Russian people eat now. Years ago it was cutlets, but it has evolved into any minced meat pattie. Although the recipe calls for lean ground beef we’re using ground lamb. The meat is mixed with grated onion, minced garlic, a bit of cold water, an egg, chopped parsley, fresh dill, S & P. The mixture will be shaped into 3" logs much like we form köfte. They are then rolled in dry breadcrumbs, and fried in a combination of oil and butter (I’m using peanut oil and ghee.) till brown and crispy. We’re expecting the burgers to be moist inside and crispy outside. White crustless bread is recommended but I’m using pitta.

~ Spinach in Yogurt Sauce. (Caucasian Burani) This can be prepared with many different greens and often with eggplant. Sliced onions and garlic are sauted, spinach is added and cooked till wilted. At the very end off heat the yogurt is stirred into the mix and heated slowly till warm through.

2 Likes

And I thought my 11-1/2 hour day on Thursday was crazy. Ugh. Hope you got some sleep!

Didn’t know what I wanted for dinner tonight, so I went easy-peasy - Hamburger Stroganoff. Added a couple of Tbsp. of brandy instead of red wine, lots of onions and mushrooms. Served on egg noodles, with peas on top, and a sprinkling of paprika and ground sumac. Yes, there was wine.

4 Likes

Just spent a fabulous week on a cruise ship in the Caribbean, where I enjoyed far too much excellent food. While the main dining room on cruise ships is still pretty much mediocre banquet food, many lines have really stepped up their game with specialty restaurants. We decided to purchase an upgrade that allowed us to eat all of our lunches and dinners in specialty restaurants, and only had one clunker meal all week! Anyway, we’re back to reality tonight and given the emptiness of my fridge and the fullness of my fat cells, we had scrambled eggs, no toast, for dinner! :smile:

10 Likes

We finally had a home cooked meal. Made MH’s basic tomato sauce and added some turkey/beef meatballs from the freezer. Served with linguine and some fresh rosemary olive oil bread.

5 Likes

Went a little New Orleans tonight with Patagonian scallop poor boys with slaw as a side

3 Likes