What's For Dinner #7 - March 2016. The Primavera Edition

WFD: ~ Hake fillets from the F/V Aaron & Melissa II.
Baked Fish Fillets with Olives and Oregano: white fish fillets: S & P, very thin lemon slices, dry white wine; brine-cured green olives; sliced red bell pepper, fresh or dry oregano.
~ Quick sauteed greens from “My Bombay Kitchen”: ginger-chili paste;turmeric; mixed organic mixed baby kales, organic baby spinach, organic red and green chard.
~ Fennel, Orange, Radish Salad: Peeled oranges, sliced in thin rounds. Trimmed fennel, sliced in 1/2, cored, cut in thin slices. Trimmed radishes thinly sliced. Ranch Dressing in which to dip.

2 Likes

Wow you are pretty hooked up - I am gonna rough it with only the microwave, instant tea pot, and keurig-like device I just don’t have the space for prep or a utility sink in the house. Thankfully the dining options in the neighborhood have greatly improved in recent years I am looking forward to some indulging and lots of sandwiches, cheese and crackers etc.

2 Likes

Unfortunately one good winter will do almost nothing toward relieving the drought :frowning:

It’s my darling’s birthday today – but it’s hard to be in a festive mood, given the recent string of attacks on civility & humanity. These are some sad, strange times we live in, for sure.

We’re getting together with a few close friends at the CBDTR to drink away our sorrows & toast to my man for having survived yet another year. That’s worth something.

There will be food.

6 Likes

Leftover tofu was eaten with noodle soup today (plus meat balls made by yours truly just before making the broth).

Yesterday:

Tofu puffs stuffed with mince and preserved cabbage. I also added Sichuan peppercorns to the second half of the mince.

Braised pork belly with dried bamboo shoots and preserved cabbage. From my research this is a typical Hakka dish.

Peppercorns

Dried bamboo shoots have to be soaked then boiled before using.

5 Likes

Lingua, my birthday was the 9th not tonight! Thanks so much for the intention, very sweet of you!!

Enjoy your night, I’ll say a prayer, you offer a toast to the salvation of humanity. All the best to your “other” man.[quote=“linguafood, post:364, topic:3799, full:true”]
It’s my darling’s birthday today – but it’s hard to be in a festive mood, given the recent string of attacks on civility & humanity. These are some sad, strange times we live in, for sure.

We’re getting together with a few close friends at the CBDTR to drink away our sorrows & toast to my man for having survived yet another year. That’s worth something.

There will be food.
[/quote]

4 Likes

I rescued my last beet burger from the freezer (yikes! I have to replenish, they’re my favorite!) reheated and landed ontop of massaged kale salad with chopped radishes, sugar snap peas, cucumber and olives. Glass of reisling a la carte.

If anyone is looking for a good veggie burger this is one of my favorite recipes (and i have made a whole lotta them over the years!)- the fridge rest is essential, i often swap in quinoa, usually bake in the oven, and shredding the beets very fine is important.
http://www.theppk.com/2012/02/quarter-pounder-beet-burger/

I’m sure we’ll eat out or take in a good deal, but I need to have more than normal control over ingredients and histamine levels in my food a good bit of the time.

1 Like

oh MY, that is all so impressive!

1 Like

saddening day, called for comfort food, and the BF delivered. His beef koftes were the best he’d ever made - super juicy, perfectly seasoned, tender… He makes a wonderful hummus, and his puris are just delish. alongside, two salads tonight, both different with takes on zatar-ish (his own mix) dressings. i felt spoiled, loved, cossetted.

14 Likes

The discovery of half a large sweet potato prompts this Sophie Grigson recipe.

Firstly there’s lamb meatballs to be browned - lamb mince, grated onion, garlic, chopped mint, lime zest, ground coriander. There’s wedges of red onion to be fried as well. They come out and in goes 1.5cm cubes of the sweet potato to cook for a while. The meatballs and onions go back in along with a red chilli, juice of half the lime s & p and some water. It simmers for around 15 minutes till it done.

I have a sense that it may be a little on the dry side but no worries, there’s chutney in the cupboard and an asian garlic/chilli sauce in the fridge.

(Thoughts with the Belgians. We’re visiting for a couple of days in a few weeks although to Ieper, not Brussels. The world is not in a good place at present - all very depressing)

3 Likes

Which variety do you prefer? The one I tried (can’t recall the type) was slightly sweet.

WFD: ~ L/O pasta fagioli loosened W broth. Fresh grated Pecarino Romano. This is very filling, meatless, scrumptious.
~ Sauteed mixed baby vegetables from “My Bombay Kitchen” that was rescheduled last night.
~ More fennel and orange slices. Tasty combination.

3 Likes

It’s called “sweet curry powder” but it’s actually not sweet per se, just really well balanced and a small amount packs a ton of flavor- there’s a bit of warmth to it but it’s managable for me (haha, and therefore small children)

I bought the “majarajah” curry before and that one was a bit more expensive since it has saffron (which I honestly couldn’t pick out) but also has enough more heat that i always needed some yogurt alongside…

1 Like

I took chicken out of the freezer to become chicken fajita salad tonight, but a friend texted me and asked if I wanted to get drinks and dumplings after work, so that’s WFD. I don’t need the carbs but this is a rare treat and I’m going to enjoy each and every one!

1 Like

I was gifted an entire “Curry” set from Penzey’s, which includes the following:

Maharajah Curry Powder
Sweet Curry Powder
Hot Curry Powder
Garam Masala Punjabi Style
Rogan Josh Seasoning
Balti Seasoning (I recently used this, the sweet & hot curry powders on cauli: nice!)
Tandoori Seasoning
Vindaloo Seasoning

None of these are particularly spicy, unfortunately, but they add good flavors to my “Indian” cooking :smiley:

2 Likes

Dinner is sketti and sawce. 'Cause Annntnee said so. A thick slice of Tuscan bread lightly toasted alongside. Wine. Simples.

And I’ve figured out my menu for the rest of the week. And I NEVER do that.

3 Likes

Oooh! What a fabulous gift to recieve! My own attempts at indian food are definitely far from authentic but it’s a nice change up from the everyday. I’m very lucky that my best friend in law’s mother (follow that??) visits from India once a year from a month and she cooks daily so i get pointers from her and some amazing meals… (Surprisingly her son can’t tolerate much heat either, unfortunately he never learned to cook from her while growing up in a traditional household in india)

1 Like

Snacky plate dinner tonight. I had made the lentil walnut pate from david lebovitz over the weekend - it’s freaking delicious-and this was basically a way to eat a lot of it :)) scooped it up with cucumber rounds, jicama, and some seedy crackers. Also on the plate were mixed olives, marinaed mushrooms, and smoked tofu slices. A new reisling a la carte.

6 Likes

Smoked mackerel on toast - the fish is flaked and mixed with a little double cream, chopped chives, pepper and Parmesan. Bread is lightly toasted on both sides and the fish loaded on. It’s topped with a little more cream and cheese and goes under the grill to heat through. Supermarket bag of salad leaves ot accompany

(Yes, it’s another Slater recipe - Kitchen Diaries 1, pge 90)

5 Likes